986 or 987

S2sam

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pgk188 said:

Blimey, I didn't realize that for the 2.7.......!

I had a 2006 2.7 that was £500+ tax which was annoying

It was registered after March 2006 which is where K band runs out

I believe the 245BHP variant (which BTW is M97 and has the larger bearing) got into the lower band due to 6 speed

13 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Harsh but fair and I know what you mean :lol:.

Yeah I was being a bitch in interest of "balance" still think it though, I'd have to wear a blindfold to wear one and my driving is bad enough as it is.

6 hours ago, Terryg said:

Yeah I was being a bitch in interest of "balance" still think it though, I'd have to wear a blindfold to wear one and my driving is bad enough as it is.

drive one you moron.

Not sure I agree, but then I have the extended leather interior with sports chrono and I think that makes a huge difference. The 986 interior is very dated now and hasn’t aged as well as the exterior.

good job we don’t all like the same thing 😂

2 hours ago, perleman said:

986 interior is good from a design consistency POV but the whole thing is tired now and not anywhere near ‘classic’ 

also very cheap materials 

I guess that "classic" and "cheap" are very subjective terms but I've got to disagree with you. The 986 interior, especially with console delete, is to me quite evocative of the classic Porsche style and the materials seem to wear pretty well... 

I don’t think honestly any Boxsters could be described as ‘classic cars’ even if the binaxle is reminiscent of the older cars

cheap is the look of yards of black plastic / vinyl used everywhere inside the car! The quality might not be terrible but it looks naff!

Sit in one now and they don’t feel special imo unless it has full leather

Porsche significantly upgraded the quality for the 987 with soft touch plastics and textures 

Full leather on 987 gives way more leather and visible stitching makes it feel so much more premium 

12 minutes ago, perleman said:

Porsche significantly upgraded the quality for the 987 with soft touch plastics and textures 

Soft-touch plastics were introduced before even the end of the 986.1 production run - I think they came in at (or around) the time the 981.1S was introduced; they were in my 2001 car.  But I definitely think a car of the Boxster's 'class' deserves to have the leather interior, which improves it immensely, and ages much better as well. I suspect a leather 986.1 interior on an older car may still look more classy than a standard interior on a younger 987.1.

4 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Not sure I agree, but then I have the extended leather interior with sports chrono and I think that makes a huge difference. The 986 interior is very dated now and hasn’t aged as well as the exterior.

good job we don’t all like the same thing 😂

I think he is mainly referring to the 987.1 interior, yours and mine are gen2 with full leather and far ancient looking. That said I always felt my 987.1 interior was much more modern than my 986.

As you said lucky we don’t all like the same thing 😂

It's stupidly hard to compare the two.

987 is more modern than the 986 and it's a little better built. That's fact, so if you want something that's modern, don't get a 986. That's not to say that a 986 isn't well built, coming from someone who owns one.

The interior of the 986 is completely different to the 987, so you can't compare. Some people love the 986's curves, others like the 987's edgy look. The exterior is different, too. The 986 has the 996 911 shaped front, where as the 987 has its own more modern feel. 

Basically, if you want a more refined Boxster, get a 987. If you wanted a more classic feel, get a 986. If you want a Porsche that has a flat-6 engine, is a roadster, is RWD and an incredible sense of balance, then either one will tick your box. For me, the improvements of the 987 weren't enough to sway me away from a 986, but to some they are, and that's absolutely fine. You can find a beautiful 986 and know that it's the first Boxster Porsche had made with a raw feel as well as the fact that now it's considered a classic (look on their website, they classed it as a classic a few months back). You could find a beautiful 987 and have the more modern, refined feel, lots of added benefits and timeless looks. 

Go drive good examples of both, then make your own mind up. They're chalk and cheese.

You need to compare like for like. 

A standard non extended leather interior 986, or 987 looks and feels cheap to me, where as the extended leather version is much better quality on both cars, and should be standard imo on something costing 40k+

40 minutes ago, geraintthomas said:

Exactly. A cheap 986 and a kitted out 986 are worlds apart. I'd even go as far as saying that I'd rather have a plush 986 than a standard 987.

I went the different way and even with a 'relatively' new 987.2 (2009) I regarded almost all options as costly things to go wrong and looked for a low spec car.

All mine has got is full leather (can't go wrong), PDK (unlikely to go wrong) and heated seats (who cares if they go wrong)

Perhaps something to add to the equation?

Ive had a well sorted 986S and I have just put a deposit on a 987S after being Porscheless for nearly 2 years and trying other (worse) cars. 

I find the 987 feels a bit more modern. A bit more spacious and I prefer the 987 headlights. The rear end is basically the same. 987 seats are a little more generous and seat position is a bit more normal feeling. Both have similar gear shift feel and the 987 only has a little more power, but considered a slightly safer/later engine. 

Still, I wouldn’t buy an unloved example of either and like Geraint said, a ropey average 987 is a much worse buy than a well sorted/refreshed 986. What ever you buy at over 10 years old will want to have seen some form suspension and brakes renewal in the last few years, or that will just be a matter of time (same with exhaust clamps). 

I went for a fairly basic spec 987 after my last 986 was all bells and whilstles (in a classic way). Less to go wrong now, and I bought on condition, history and recent parts renewed (brakes, exhaust, suspension & tyres) not just spec/colour. I got PASM and Xenons but thats’s about it! No fancy heated electric seats, parking sensors or Sport chrono. 

It’s all subjective, when I was looking I could afford quite a reasonable 987 but I just didn’t like the interior ie dash and centre consul.

its something you have to look at a lot so the interior look was important to me. I ended up sticking to what I wanted and paid up for a top notch yellow 986 as I love the swooping curves inside that I think match the outside curves. 

Horsesfor course 😄

Jon

24 minutes ago, Blues N Twos said:

It’s all subjective, when I was looking I could afford quite a reasonable 987 but I just didn’t like the interior ie dash and centre consul.

its something you have to look at a lot so the interior look was important to me. I ended up sticking to what I wanted and paid up for a top notch yellow 986 as I love the swooping curves inside that I think match the outside curves. 

Horsesfor course 😄

Jon

I agree, had the choice between 987 & 986 and I went for a 986. Yes it’s a little more cramped but I’m 6’3” and manage perfectly well. I felt the switch gear around the centre console of the early 987’s doesn’t  wear well and looks cheap when the colour rubs off. I also wanted a more feral experience for my weekend driving entertainment. At the end of the day it’s a personal choice, but if they do ever start to go up in value it’ll probably start with the 986’s.

23 hours ago, Doctor_Slow said:

I guess that "classic" and "cheap" are very subjective terms but I've got to disagree with you. The 986 interior, especially with console delete, is to me quite evocative of the classic Porsche style and the materials seem to wear pretty well... 

I second that, if you have the full leather, not sure how that can be contrived as cheap, my car is 21 yrs old and everything still looks pristine. Same can’t be said for the tactile plastic bits in the 987.

However that said the interior of the new 718 Porsche’s do look and feel the very nice

For Me a high spec 986s is the right balance of raw vs refined.

Facelift lights and hood, full leather and heated seats etc etc in the right colour ( for me thats black silver or speed yellow) 

I would upgrade TB and plenum to the 987 and fit eibach / bilstein suspension including ARBs

Some exhaust work with a quality ss system from the manifolds and of course an uprated ims and rms

For me the 987's I tried felt like a businessman's sports car where as the 986 feels like the real deal.

Entirely subjective of course but thats my opinion fwiw.

Archived