• Created
  • Last Reply

Agrre

21 minutes ago, toplad said:

987 any day of the week

Looks better, handles better and more modern interior

The 986 has aged to much for me

A couldn't agree more.

however, I loved my speed yellow 986 S..It did seem quicker and I know it wasn't....I just seemed it curiously !

26 minutes ago, villaman said:

A couldn't agree more.

however, I loved my speed yellow 986 S..It did seem quicker and I know it wasn't....I just seemed it curiously !

A speed yellow 986 S does sound awesome to be fair😂😂

1 hour ago, toplad said:

987 any day of the week

Fresh enough and like for like I don't think a 987 is night and day a better handling car than a 986. The suspension is pretty much identical. I think though if you are in the market you'd more easily find a tighter 987 though just because the 986 is that much older and tired. 

1 hour ago, villaman said:

Yes it came up for sale last year and I thought about buying it back

Was it a 2003 with reg ending SYY?  Just curious if it was the one I bought 👍

Jon

30 minutes ago, villaman said:

Did it have Caymas SII's on....?

No, it came from factory with Carrara 18’s. Sometimes good to chat to previous owner. Sometimes not if it was a dog 😱

21 hours ago, toplad said:

987 any day of the week

For the sake of balance 986 has a classic Porsche interior, the 987 looks like a Vauxhall Meriva inside.

The 987 has prettier headlights and more interior space but I want a raw sports car with all the benefits that came with the advancement of electronics but none of the BS.

Yes the 986 has aged but personally I think it has gone through its "uncool" period and is now back to "cool", not sure that the 987 interior will ever allow that to happen but some seem to like it.

It may come as no surprise that I have a 986 : )

Been to look again today at the 987 . It's got quite a big file of receipts , new 2nd gear synchro and a gearbox rebuild , water pump and belt , recent ac rads, and brakes , coil pack .on closer inspection it doesn't have the wind deflector or the mesh behind the seats , body work is really clean and the wheels have been refurbished. There is slight damage on the rear of drivers seat  .but whilst there  I was shown a really nice 987 2.7 06 plate, immaculate with Coco heated leather with extended cards and dash .19"alloys with nearly new rubber . Trip computer ,rear parking sensors and 64 ,000 miles , for 9k only thing putting me off is it's in  the big tax bracket £540 .I think on reflection I'm gonna stick with my 986 .thanks for the input .I may swap tack and sell my 89  944s2 and sell both cars for a nice 3.4  boxster 

1 hour ago, S2sam said:

I may swap tack and sell my 89  944s2 and sell both cars for a nice 3.4  boxster 

ah, but then you enter the dreaded bore score discussion (we've moved on from IMS and N rated tyres these days)

I had £20k to spend this time last year on a Boxster

Went for a high spec 987 3.2 for £11k seemed to be the sweet spot in the range in terms of value.  The gen 2 is more reliable engine wise but even with a failure I would be roughly at break-even on an £11k 987S and IMS failure seemed possible but unlikely

I think the 3.2 987S is the best sports car you can get under about £25k

9 minutes ago, perleman said:

I had £20k to spend this time last year on a Boxster

Went for a high spec 987 3.2 for £11k seemed to be the sweet spot in the range in terms of value.  The gen 2 is more reliable engine wise but even with a failure I would be roughly at break-even on an £11k 987S and IMS failure seemed possible but unlikely

I think the 3.2 987S is the best sports car you can get under about £25k

I was the same as you just before christmas 2017, I got a 2006 3.2 for £12k, so far 14 months in I've had to have the gearbox oil and filter changed as the Tip gearbox was starting to slip at 60,000 miles.......and that's it, all the rest I've spent on the car was wants not needs, Kev at DW Performance told me mine has the better IMS bearing, I asked him to check when it was getting the oil change so no worries there!!!

I agree it is the best sports car under £20k easily, I'm really surprised at how good it is, I was scared that having wanted one for so long that it might not life up to expectations, a bit like they say you should never meet your hero, haha!!!

Oh and mine is in the £540 tax bracket, did'nt realise til I bought it...oh well!!!

So farry so goody!!!!😁

I see from your profile your in Sheffield , I'm round the corner in sunny Rotherham 👍

12 minutes ago, mikefocke said:

Please tell me how while changing the oil someone can tell what IMS bearing the engine really has? Yes the '06 is probably the big bearing but for sure? No way.

I thought it wasn't ever certain the big bearing ever made it into the 3.2

22 minutes ago, perleman said:

I thought it wasn't ever certain the big bearing ever made it into the 3.2

The school of thought appears to be that the double row IMS bearing was introduced in late 2005, so 2006 cars will have the larger bearing"........can't believe I'm talking about IMS !

Archived