Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only just found this thread; started on the first few pages, thought, "that's not going to make it", jumped to page 27 and thought, "yeah, he's got a new one", then went and looked at some pages in between and now feeling very inferior....awesome job!!

1 hour ago, nelmo said:

Only just found this thread; started on the first few pages, thought, "that's not going to make it", jumped to page 27 and thought, "yeah, he's got a new one", then went and looked at some pages in between and now feeling very inferior....awesome job!!

Its just a car

A collection of bits and pieces bolted together 

Same as any other 

I kind of got sucked in to fixing it really 

And I'm glad i did now 

Everything is fixable and if you take your time and do a little research then it doesn't always need to cost a fortune 

Its still a bit rough round the edges and far from a garage queen but I like it that way

It's certainly got a story to tell and it still attracts a bit too much attention sometimes 

I think it should get a good detailing next - maybe even a good rubbing and buffing 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ATM said:

Car dead

Gear lever refusing to move out of Park

20231121-114839.jpg

It would scare the s..t out of me but after what you have achieved and the casual way you posted, I guess it is meat and potatos to you. Good luck and well done.

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, ATM said:

Might even take this opportunity to try a little LiPo in there.

Little LiPo only just fit with standard cables stretched way more than I would like. So I only fit the LiPo while I brought the banner lead anchor in the house to charge it up. So it wasn't bolted or cable tied in at all. I did try an ignition on and all seemed fine and then also an engine start and again all fine with no [extra] warnings on dash. I'm guessing if I want to actually use a little LiPo on the car I'll need to do something more meaningful with the cabling. Like cutting the standard cables, but maybe I could just cut the earth side as no need to cut both sides.

So the original Banner is back in there now and I've driven the car a couple of times.

Car seems to have developed a bit of brake undulation like warped discs. I'm assuming or hoping it isn't warped fronts as I only recently changed these. So maybe I need to change the rears.

Is there a simple test to check for uneven discs? I'm thinking about just spinning the wheels when jacked up. Obviously doesn't work so well on the rears with the gearbox and everything but I've never tried this with the PDK gearbox in N.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Little LiPo only just fit with standard cables stretched way more than I would like. So I only fit the LiPo while I brought the banner lead anchor in the house to charge it up. So it wasn't bolted or cable tied in at all. I did try an ignition on and all seemed fine and then also an engine start and again all fine with no [extra] warnings on dash. I'm guessing if I want to actually use a little LiPo on the car I'll need to do something more meaningful with the cabling. Like cutting the standard cables, but maybe I could just cut the earth side as no need to cut both sides.

So the original Banner is back in there now and I've driven the car a couple of times.

Car seems to have developed a bit of brake undulation like warped discs. I'm assuming or hoping it isn't warped fronts as I only recently changed these. So maybe I need to change the rears.

Is there a simple test to check for uneven discs? I'm thinking about just spinning the wheels when jacked up. Obviously doesn't work so well on the rears with the gearbox and everything but I've never tried this with the PDK gearbox in N.

I borrowed a dial gauge with a magnetic base from a mate to check by my fronts easier than judging by eye. 

You can spin the rears in neutral just not very quickly so dial gauge might be a better option there.  

excuse for a new tool ? 

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Is this "little LiPo" rated for starting current?

Be aware that most, if not all, are 'leisure batteries' with a BMS designed to shut down with over current.
I have a 60Ah LiFePO4 in my shed which has a BMS rated for 150A (IIRC).

We had a Merc A160 with stop/start that had a weeny little LiPo behind a boot panel. It was only rated intermittently for hot starting current, much less than cold cranking.

6 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Is this "little LiPo" rated for starting current?

Be aware that most, if not all, are 'leisure batteries' with a BMS designed to shut down with over current.
I have a 60Ah LiFePO4 in my shed which has a BMS rated for 150A (IIRC).

We had a Merc A160 with stop/start that had a weeny little LiPo behind a boot panel. It was only rated intermittently for hot starting current, much less than cold cranking.

I thought the little additional battery in cars with stop start was to run everything else in the car while it was stopped and engine off so that when you came to restart the big battery would be fresh and capable. 

Yes I now have 2 little LiPo batteries specifically sold as car starter batteries. The second I recently bought but have never used - ebay 2nd hand. The first I got new about 2 or 3 years ago - ebay again but prices were much cheaper. Seller still has them - link below. I've used it just fine in my 986 [pics below] and 996 and like I say it started the 981 just fine after being stood for a few weeks unused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403145914695

20211125-181120.jpg

20211125-181124.jpg

Does your Lithium battery have an inbuilt heater element? 

Lithum batteries should not be charged below 0c, (and preferably below 5c) for safety reasons 

in practice, this means a temperature sensor will communicate with a battery management sensor (BMS) to prevent the battery from charging below a  set temperature.

If the battery has a heating mat / element, this raises the battery above 0c with the charging current before the battery will accept charge, but without one, a lithium starter battery in winter is not the best idea, as it is likely to fall below 0c overnight 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

No

In that case, it is worth confirming there is low temperature charging protection (for safety's sake)

The downside (if it does) is that it won't accept charge if the temperature is below zero C

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/207794/slow-charging-lifepo4-when-freezing-weather.html#:~:text=Charging a Lithium battery in,F to 113°F.

Edited by moonshine
article about low temperature charging added

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

In that case, it is worth confirming there is low temperature charging protection (for safety's sake)

The downside (if it does) is that it won't accept charge if the temperature is below zero C

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/207794/slow-charging-lifepo4-when-freezing-weather.html#:~:text=Charging a Lithium battery in,F to 113°F.

Ok thanks

I generally don't drive my fun cars when it's really cold.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ATM said:

I thought the little additional battery in cars with stop start was to run everything else in the car while it was stopped and engine off so that when you came to restart the big battery would be fresh and capable. 

Yes I now have 2 little LiPo batteries specifically sold as car starter batteries. The second I recently bought but have never used - ebay 2nd hand. The first I got new about 2 or 3 years ago - ebay again but prices were much cheaper. Seller still has them - link below. I've used it just fine in my 986 [pics below] and 996 and like I say it started the 981 just fine after being stood for a few weeks unused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403145914695

20211125-181120.jpg

20211125-181124.jpg

That particular LFP has a low Ah and high CCA rating, presumably specifically designed as a stop/start battery, so fine for starting an engine (though maybe not, depends whether the car needs a higher CCA than it's capable of, for cold starting).
A standard LFP leisure battery would be unable to handle that starting current.

I'm not sure I'd be wanting to use it as a day to day battery though.

Even though it has effectively double the capacity of an equivalent L/A or AGM battery, that only makes it about equivalent to a 26Ah L/A or AGM

4 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

That particular LFP has a low Ah and high CCA rating, presumably specifically designed as a stop/start battery, so fine for starting an engine (though maybe not, depends whether the car needs a higher CCA than it's capable of, for cold starting).
A standard LFP leisure battery would be unable to handle that starting current.

I'm not sure I'd be wanting to use it as a day to day battery though.

Even though it has effectively double the capacity of an equivalent L/A or AGM battery, that only makes it about equivalent to a 26Ah L/A or AGM

LFP?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...