Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Andy Mac said:

@ATM I used “pro plates” https://proplates.co.uk/

Small Stick On Number Plates (330mm x 111mm) - £14.50 delivered (no V5 faff and has the BS / maker details on etc).

Mine came out well: 

DBFBBE5-F-611-E-463-F-AA90-42-D5-A169-A2

Thanks Andy, I bought one previously and I couldn't get it to bend where there is an angle on my bumper. Later realised it was because it was a reflective one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ATM said:

Does anyone know where I can get a stick on type number plate made up?

https://www.myshowplates.com/

used these guys for regular plates.  Uk legal (including the required supplies and British standard marks ) or “whatever you want” 

based I think in jersey.  No need to provide v5 or any other form of proof. 

So my new stick on plates arrived.  Therefore I went down to the body shop to deliver them.  The car is looking a lot more straight than it was before.  Everything is off the car, bumpers, lights, side skirts and on the passenger side the window seal and the door mirror are also off.  All damage or dings or dents or imperfections have been sorted.  The main impact has been pulled out and smoothed off.   There was some damage to the door, which is alloy, which has all been fixed.  There were even some small ripples or indentations in the front passenger wing he has sorted. The guy told me that the new side skirt fits perfectly straight where it meets the car where he has pulled it out.  So I'm feeling pretty good about it all.  It needs a bit more prep work I think and then obviously painting.  I did tell the guy he doesn't need to rush.  I'm happier knowing he can take his time and work on it when he has some time rather than trying to rush to meet some deadline.  Maybe then next time I go it will be done.  I hope so.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Usually cop an admin fee for plate (or any..) change so that’s good.

200 notes does sound cheeky on the face of it… doesn’t it - that’s about the same as my yearly premium… 

Wonder if they factor in the aggro of a non standard paint (in their view) when repairing? 

Did you incur any cost with DVLA to change colour / or is that just free admin?

45 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I like that.  You won’t find another like it and as you have documented, you bought this car back from the brink - great to see it taking shape.  

Yes

I'm trying to not get too excited because being too excited about a car just scares me. I've always thought that if you really love a car then it will bite you.  But it is starting to feel like my own episode of Rust to Riches or Pimp my Ride. 

21 minutes ago, ATM said:

See the black round the windscreen?

I'm having black mirrors too.

Hadn’t registered the screen surround - it just looks right.

Goes and looks at own Boxster parked outside and 🤔