Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

Just to follow up. I found a part from the car in my shed. It was never fitted when I changed the rear corner. It's the big spring which goes between the pads and the rod you knock in / out. So I fitted this today. Good job I did too as the rod had come out a good cm or so all by itself.

While I had the car jacked up I inspected the gearbox to see whats been done. I got a pic here. Hopedully you can see the new sump pan. That shiny alu part in the middle of the pic is what I believe they're calling the ns housing. There is a good diagram earlier in the thread. Which I'll bump to the end here so you can see it.

It looks quite clean under there. It was covered in oil before. That's the filler nut in the pic. I think that's new too. My old was a bit of a mess. Also I now have 6 bolts holding the drive shaft to the half shaft. There were only 5 before. So they've done a good from what I can see.

No drips under the car where parked.

20220130-105125.jpg

20220130-105325.jpg

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/11/2019 at 8:56 AM, ATM said:

This seems to be the best diagram, thanks Caped Crusader for the part number pointer.  So yes it appears that the housing neck holds a roller bearing - part number 23.  This makes sense now and is exactly what I was expecting.  There appears to be a seal at the inside end of this housing neck - part number 22.  They do call the snap ring a circlip - part number 16.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/porsche/boxster/oe/225/2404/45927?h=292592

HPUQ3TKBZX4TA9MJAQ7K.gif

So the ns housing is shown here but not numbered. Although you can see the seal for it numbered 14. Obviously the sump pan is number 10. The half shaft I had to refit is number 17.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

So the ns housing is shown here but not numbered. Although you can see the seal for it numbered 14. Obviously the sump pan is number 10. The half shaft I had to refit is number 17.

The NS housing (or housing neck on Porsche drawing 320-005) is 23, you'd get the gasket and shaft oil seal in with it as a kit per the line bracketing them together but you can get the gasket and seal separately.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Wish said:

What’s the plan ? To keep it amd run it into the ground, never doing the bodywork ? 

or would you consider selling as is ? 

I'd listen to offers as I have too many cars. But I don't see the point in giving it away cheap as its a good car. And a replacement would cost me a lot more. I don't mean another 981 I mean if I was to replace it with something reasonably good but not sure what then the replacement would cost me a lot more than I think I'd get for this one. Does that make sense?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just took the car to a body shop for a Quote.  He was just guessing while he stood looking at it and I kind of lost track of what he was saying because the numbers just kept going up and up and UP.  I think we landed on 7500 plus VAT.  So I left with my tail between my legs.

He was all about removing anything bent and replacing it.  Then basically painting the whole car except for the bonnet and front bumper.  Obviously it doesn't have a roof to paint.

• Sad 1

So I am going to try some more places for Quotes.  Ideally saving the dented quarter and just pulling it and filling it would be preferable to fitting new panels from Porsche.  Then I might also investigate wraps rather than having the car painted.  I am a bit bored with black if I am being honest.

Just been to a smaller back street type outfit for a look see. Guy was recommended to me. Does smart repairs and small scrapes or more serious type repairs but nothing to do with insurance companies. So just simple paying customers. Anyway he had a look and said he can repair everything except the side skirt which is mangled. So I need to buy one of them. Then he can pull the dent out and do his magic.

Then before he started talking money I mentioned a wrap to colour change the car. He sent me down the road to someone he knows who does wraps. So the wrap guys had a much bigger unit and a few cars there being worked on. We had a chat about wraps and I was a bit overwhelmed by all the colour choices. They quoted me 2500 to wrap the car any colour I want.

So the idea is the first guy would prepare all the bodywork but not paint the car. He would sort out all imperfections. He would use primer on any areas he works on. Then the wrap guys just wrap straight onto that. The wraps guys said they need 10 days to do the wrapping.

So I went back to the first guy to talk money for the repairs with no paint. I told him they had quoted me 2500 for the wrap and he seemed surprised by that. So I asked if he could paint the car a different colour and he started talking about door shuts and I said I don't care about them because the wrap guys were going to leave those black anyway. So he said Yes he can do it less than 2500.

So I think that's a result. I'm going to do that with him. This guy will fix the car and paint it whatever colour I want. All I need to do now is decide on the colour.....

@ATM, matches my body shop experience.  Fine a good back street guy who does custom or restoration work with no insurance customers and you'll be quids in, as there is no culture of menu pricing and 'Its bent, so has to be replaced.' when a good bodywork guy can do a perfectly good repair, flat and paint.  A similar guy quoted me £1800 +VAT to do a full respray ex bumpers on a 986 and would knock it down further if I went in to do some of the stripping/masking with them.

Yeah @ATM I don't like the sound of that, just paint it black as before and ask them to blend it in nicely, save the leftovers for fuel and a slush fund for other repairs. Why not get a stripe or something if you want a bit of colour.  A respray in a different colour is going to be a bit odd looking especially when your spoiler pops up 🤣

34 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Yeah @ATM I don't like the sound of that, just paint it black as before and ask them to blend it in nicely, save the leftovers for fuel and a slush fund for other repairs. Why not get a stripe or something if you want a bit of colour.  A respray in a different colour is going to be a bit odd looking especially when your spoiler pops up 🤣

I'm assuming the spoiler will be painted. It's only stuff like door shuts which will be left and same for bonnet and boot, they will still be black on the inside. I might even leave the bit around the front screen black too and the mirrors and some other details like the side vents.

how "nice" do you want the finish once painted? You could go down the route of plasti-dipping or a bedliner type hard finish? I'm guessing after the expense though you would want something a bit more shiny?

You've probably seen it already, but there is a rear quarter on ebay that might help - don't know if its easier to replace as a whole or repairs whats there

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325106218408?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche|Plat_Gen%3A981&hash=item4bb1d735a8:g:b44AAOSw7QxiM37g

Edited by Mattman42

Having watched that Russian guy on ebay fixing cars there is a lot work involved in replacing panels and even more work when the panels need to be removed from another car. Most of the time the panels he replaces are seriously mangled. He often pulls some straight or straightish. I'm willing to let my new guy have a go snd see how he does. I think any panel can be saved it's just more efficient sometimes to replace them. I don't expect perfection. I'm not that fussy about my cars. Not as fussy as some. I just want something presentable. I smashed this up in Dec 18 so it's been almost 4 years now. It's a perfectly good car but it just looks broke. A couple of my friends refuse to accept crash damaged cars as even worth having especially when it comes to their pride and joy. I take a more balanced view. These are just cars at the end of the day. When the sun is shining and the roof is down it's still a pleasant place to be.

Edited by ATM
  • Like 1

If it is not acceptable to repair cars, why are there body shops?  I don't quite understand not accepting a repaired vehicle as long as it has been done properly and safely if structural.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If it is not acceptable to repair cars, why are there body shops?  I don't quite understand not accepting a repaired vehicle as long as it has been done properly and safely if structural.

For me.  It’s simply just a matter of trust .

both the “that will be 10 grand and that will be 300 quid cash mate” inspire zero confidence. 

Not all sharks have fins. 

If it was my car that I knew the history of and I knew the damage and I trusted whoever repaired it then yes, I might decide to keep with it.  

but without the background it’s a minefield.  

no experience of “an engineers report” of repairs but if its as solid and reliable and accurate as an mot - yeah, right.  

Edited by Paul P

I've been unfortunate enough to have had significant repairs on 3 vehicles, two of which ended up on the jig bench.  For teh second and third ones I made sure I got to understand the repairs being done and saw the vehicles at a couple of point in the process.  All 3 had no post repair issues. 

In a more incident with my immediate last daily when I wasn't happy with a colour match/finish where a damaged bumper had been replaced it was immediately take back for repainting.  In that case the body shop manager should have been shot for letting it out without repainting, but that's the pressure of fleets and insurers for you.

If you have been party to the repair I think you have more faith in it.

17 hours ago, ATM said:

Drove about 2 miles and thought that doesn't sound right.

20220622-091314.jpg

Well when I heard this weird noise coming from the back as I came on the throttle I immediately assumed it was something to do with the PDK gearbox clutch packs or something else - I dont know what just terminal.  I thought oh no after all that work the gearbox is toast after all.  Why was I kidding myself.   It just goes to show the demons are still there inside me.

I've been waiting and waiting to spend money on bodywork to make sure everything else was working first.  That's what I told myself.  I decided I just need to stop using that excuse now and commit to the car.  The car just works now.  Well it did before the tyre gave up on me.  

So the colour change is exciting me a bit.  Black isn't awful but the thought of getting a different colour feels like I am getting a new car.  Which is always good.

Now the tyre has given up on Me I need to bring forward my decision about what wheels to use.  I've been down sizing tyres on my other cars and therefore if I stick to this format I should really use the 18 inch wheels.  They are currently wearing standard sized N rated winter tyres.  I was thinking about going a bit thinner so maybe 225 and 255 or maybe even 215 and 245. 

It’s a no from me. I see that as like the Gentian blue (sorry John); stunning when polished and in the right light, but underwhelming on many other occasions.  
But it’s your car :)