Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, ATM said:

Aquaplaned 

Car rotated. I managed to avoid clipping the central reservation barrier but got 2 wheels on the rough so was probably only inches away from the barrier. Then got a bit sideways getting off the rough back onto motorway and swerved about a bit. Kept it pointing relatively straight but ended up heading for the grass verge. That's when I braked. Bounced along the grass for a bit and finally stopped. Adrenalin was high by this point and I was actually thinking I've saved it. When I got out to look at the car I saw the wheel ripped off. 

This happened to me in the first winter I had mine. I aquaplained and spun 4 times on New Year’s Day on the M1. Nearly hit the central reservation and a truck in the slow lane but thankfully missed both. Left me facing the opposite direction and managed to start my car up again in time and zoomed off. My heart was in places it shouldn’t have been.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, ATM said:

Contacted Asutrian Gear

Contacted them today to let them know the MOT is expiring in a couple of weeks.  They said they are still waiting for some seals to arrive to complete the work.  They suggested they organise an MOT for me so I said Yes please.  Feels like it could be at least a couple of weeks or more before the car is ready.

Car also went for MOT today and failed. I will collect it anyway as the MOT is still valid for another week or so. 

Confusing thing is the failure is bottom ball joint on front passenger side which I think means Coffin Arm. Confusing because I changed this in summer 2018. And it's not been driven much since then. Passed an MOT obviously this time last year and the year before and both times were after the crash so I don't think that's the cause. And why would a rear impact affect a front Coffin Arm. I used a good quality TRW arm.

The failure reads

Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn 5.3.4

Which is exactly the same text as the failure in Summer 2018

Hi @ATM

This rings a bell on my old 981 BS. Unfortunately the new owner has a private plate on it so can’t confirm in the MOT history. 

From memory though, I seem to recall having an MOT advisory, not failure, for the same issue. I took the car to the OPC to be checked and was told these parts have more play in them and this was normal. 

2nd MOT was done at the OPC and no advisory listed. 

I’m sure others on the forum can confirm if this is BS or not 😀

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Had the similar advisory: FDS lower ball joint play. New front lower wish bone from OPC, easy fix.

Car was 2012 with 60K so didn't complain, rather safe than sorry😃

Not sure I agree

This isn't an advisory it is a failure - classed as major

This arm was replaced for MOT which passed Sep 2018 @ 38,535 miles

Now it has failed again @ 41,908 miles

Surely if these are failing every 3/4 years or 3/4000 miles that's not right

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Not sure I agree

This isn't an advisory it is a failure - classed as major

This arm was replaced for MOT which passed Sep 2018 @ 38,535 miles

Now it has failed again @ 41,908 miles

Surely if these are failing every 3/4 years or 3/4000 miles that's not right

Yes big difference failing at 3 to 4K and failing at 60+K.

Motorhomes that stay on the drive and used once or twice per year are prone to ball joint failures because of lack of use. The grease doesn't  get circulated around the joint, dry s out,  then the metal to metal wears very rapidly.

Could it be the lack of use with your car after the accident?

Just now, mneil said:

Yes big difference failing at 3 to 4K and failing at 60+K.

Motorhomes that stay on the drive and used once or twice per year are prone to ball joint failures because of lack of use. The grease doesn't  get circulated around the joint, dry s out,  then the metal to metal wears very rapidly.

Could it be the lack of use with your car after the accident?

Sure yes

But lots of Porsche get little to no use and these dont all need new balljoints

No

Went to collect the car and then just got it home today. Was feeling quite pleased with myself until I tried to open the roof and it got stuck partially open. Message on the display says -

fault of soft top control system

And it's a yellow warning. Pressing buttons for the roof does nothing. So it's either jammed or the circuits are fried. Luckily I had my half cover ready to put on. I don't think the roof is open so I'm not so worried about leaks. The windows dropped and the clasp opened and that's it. Roof didn't budge. Anyone else seen this error?

20220115-165153.jpg

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Battery OK ?

Read the codes off the car would be my suggestion - roof microswitches ? 

Also maybe worth a watch

That's such a good video, great find 👍

There are microswitches in the pillars which could also be to blame and also at the bottom where the top folds away, I guess they are to blame when it won't close. 

Good luck ATM.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, ATM said:

No

Went to collect the car and then just got it home today. Was feeling quite pleased with myself until I tried to open the roof and it got stuck partially open. Message on the display says -

fault of soft top control system

And it's a yellow warning. Pressing buttons for the roof does nothing. So it's either jammed or the circuits are fried. Luckily I had my half cover ready to put on. I don't think the roof is open so I'm not so worried about leaks. The windows dropped and the clasp opened and that's it. Roof didn't budge. Anyone else seen this error?

20220115-165153.jpg

I drove the car again today.  Not super impressed with the half cover as there was still lots of moisture under the cover and on the roof and windows.  I thought the idea with the cover was it kept it dry underneath.  Maybe in this weather moisture is unavoidable.  I'll persist with the cover anyway.

Good news is the soft top is now working.  I didn't fix anything so it has fixed itself.  I did put the battery charger on for a few hours yesterday so its possible that helped.  Or leaving the car to shut down has reset whatever was upset.

I took the car to see my MOT man to get a 2nd opinion on the loose ball joint.  As soon as he looked at it he abandoned the MOT.  Appears the ball joint is loose in the hub so the nut is not tight.  Therefore it has been flapping around a bit.  He tried to tighten it but the ball joint just span.  So I need to get it up on the jack and have a look.  I hope the hub is not damaged and the ball joint itself is also not damaged and I can just tighten them up.  More to do....

37 minutes ago, BBB said:

If you have a UK custom covers version, they are not breathable so you will retain any moisture underneath. The cabrioshield vesion is much more expensive as it is a breathable fabric.

Not a drop of moisture under my Cabrioshield cover whatever the weather.  I guess if you put the cover on with the car still warm and it then freezes overnight, that may cause the air in the gap to condense....maybe....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

If you have a UK custom covers version, they are not breathable so you will retain any moisture underneath. The cabrioshield vesion is much more expensive as it is a breathable fabric.

#MeThree , re the breathable cabrioshield version.