Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

Will you pave a bit more of that front lawn so as to create width for two cars?  So much more practical. Could be non-traditional and create a diagonal corner of the front for greenery/flowerbeds rather than just the utilitarian approach of paving the lot.

Our drive is long enough to take four cars plus a garage at the very end, but of course it's a pain if you want to take out the one that is not at the front.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this car only arriving just before lock down saved it. They chose to scratch the front wing which was perfect even though the rear was all bashed in. Just mindless vandalism. I can't imagine this being an accident. 

Yeah 

I try not to get annoyed and remember its just a car but as soon as the thought of someone doing that deliberately pops in your head you can't help but be angry. 

Anyway I think the car is due some more clutch fluid now. No errors yet but I've felt some changes which are not so smooth. I'll try and get some pics of the underside too.

Swallowed another litre with ease. Not sure if its getting worse. You can hopefully see in this pic there is oil everywhere. Its a right mess under there. Even smells of burning oil probably because drops are getting onto the hot parts. The oil filler plug is off here in case anyone is wandering where the clutch side fluid filler plug is located. 

Not really looked properly but yes its just everywhere. I was rushing yesterday in between meetings so didn't get chance to investigate. But the underside has fluid everywhere. I popped to Aldi and saw a trail of fluid where I reversed. Its lost over a litre since the last top up and I've driven maybe 5 or 10 miles. So it's more serious then the odd drip. But I presume it only comes out when its used so its not like a crack in the sump. Probably its being forced out under pressure as the box pumps the fluid around to the cooler or to work the clutches or to actuate the gear linkage/s.

In the accident it looks like the driveshaft was ripped off the side of the box which must have put a lot of force on the dual clutch bit of the gearbox between the differential and the mounting to the engine. I’m wondering whether the casing has cracked or a gasket on one of the joints is leaking? Might be worth finding a YouTube video showing how the box goes together to look for places it might have gone.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 11:41 AM, ATM said:

I don't own the place so can't really mess around. There is more room out front too but I'm trying to stay away from the trees which are dropping all manner of gunk and fluff and rubbish. 

You may be surprised as to what landlords will let you do if they consider it increases the value of the property at your cost.

My colleague has put in a paved patio at the back of his rented garden as a BBQ area and the landlord was fine as long as the tenant paid for it all and signed over the rights so he could not try and take the slabs when he left.

17 hours ago, Darkstar said:

You may be surprised as to what landlords will let you do if they consider it increases the value of the property at your cost.

My colleague has put in a paved patio at the back of his rented garden as a BBQ area and the landlord was fine as long as the tenant paid for it all and signed over the rights so he could not try and take the slabs when he left.

I had a tenant replace all the carpets as they didn’t like the colours. They left after 6 months, next tenant appreciated them though. 

Edited by RickLS7

5 hours ago, ATM said:

Just took a few pictures with my phone and they're all basically useless - like the one below. They just show oil everywhere. 

20200625-072115.jpg

Is that a drop of fluid below the connector in the top left hand corner? If so, it must either have dripped down to here from a leak above, or been in the firing line of a spray of fluid from a crack somewhere with high pressure fluid inside. Given the mess everywhere, I’d be leaning towards a spray of fluid from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

Is that a drop of fluid below the connector in the top left hand corner? If so, it must either have dripped down to here from a leak above, or been in the firing line of a spray of fluid from a crack somewhere with high pressure fluid inside. Given the mess everywhere, I’d be leaning towards a spray of fluid from somewhere.

Yes it is

Screenshot-20200625-141827-Gallery.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just finished an oil change on this. Also put in another litre or so of PDK clutch fluid. If anyone is interested the plastic filter casing thing is a bit problematic. I ended up leaving my removal tool attached to it. My new MANN filter didn't have a crush ring in the box even though my 2 over MANN filters for different cars both did. I couldn't see one on the sump plug when I removed it so I put it back on without. Then when you're finished there is no way to check the oil level. The car will only tell you the level once its warned up which isn't really helpful. 

20200905-174313.jpg

20200905-174217.jpg