Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking news 

I have an oil leak. It smells like gearbox oil to me. Not just a couple of drops too. Pic below.

Also the gear change was really jerky this morning. Is that related to low gearbox oil or just a symptom of the engine being cold. I've never noticed this jerking as bad before. It was barely noticeable before but now feels like a learner driver who doesn't know how to drive.

Screenshot-20200212-115411-Video-Player.

That's bad news🙁 When you say it smells like gearbox oil, do you mean like the old EP80/90 stuff which is very distinctive, if so this would likely be coming from the differential which I think is separate to the rest of the PDK box which would have ATF in it. Not sure why this should cause dodgy changes though🤔 Given that the driveshaft was ripped out of the differential, a bit of damage here is not unexpected. Good luck tracing the leak.

Could you put a container underneath so you can check the colour of the fluid coming out? 

25 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

That's bad news🙁 When you say it smells like gearbox oil, do you mean like the old EP80/90 stuff which is very distinctive, if so this would likely be coming from the differential which I think is separate to the rest of the PDK box which would have ATF in it. Not sure why this should cause dodgy changes though🤔 Given that the driveshaft was ripped out of the differential, a bit of damage here is not unexpected. Good luck tracing the leak.

Could you put a container underneath so you can check the colour of the fluid coming out? 

I just stuck my finger in and then sniffed it - like a teenager .... cancel that - and it is not engine oil. Got a tangy smell to it. Would they be different colours then? I presumed the box and the diff shared the same fluid.

Hope its not a PDK leak that will be expensive.  Any codes?  The PDK box usually throws codes if something isn't right to protect itself so my bet is that it's not coming from there. 

The carista app works to some extent on the 981 if you don't have a code reader.

Can you see some drops on passenger side - it's a bit damp and I didn't move the car so maybe not ideal but it doesn't too bad today.

No faults on the dash. I did have a fault for low gearbox oil when the car was missing its half shaft and sitting on 3 wheels. Back a few pages in this thread. So I know the sensor works and this time no warning. 

20200212-145602.jpg

4 hours ago, ATM said:

I just stuck my finger in and then sniffed it - like a teenager .... cancel that - and it is not engine oil. Got a tangy smell to it. Would they be different colours then? I presumed the box and the diff shared the same fluid.

I'm pretty sure that will be diff oil as I've just realised that the PDK box won't have conventional ATF fluid in since it doesn't use a torque converter. Diff oil has a really distinctive smell, so 'tangy' probably confirms that. There is a separate reservoir for the clutches, but doubt it's that. Here's a guide to changing the diff oil which should give you some useful info in your fault finding.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/1080116-diy-gear-oil-change-on-981s-pdk.html

Yeah its definitely the gearbox oil because the gearbox just went into limp mode on me and threw up the error I've seen which indicates low fluid. Car would only give me 1st and reverse. Turned it off for a few seconds and then back on and it was fine to get me home. It might just be in my head but I can smell it now just getting out of the car and walking round the back of the car.

The PDK oil is very long life, think the interval is 12yrs (120k) so is very expensive service item to change at the OPC, potentially £1k plus.  There is most likely a requirement that it is completely drained and refilled.

Edited by daz05

15 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

Our Macan has the PDK oil renewed every 40k as per manufacturer's instructions. Costs about 250 from memory from the OPC when done with the service. Can't see why the Box would be any different.

Because it's not a VW in drag. 🙂

19 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I'm pretty sure that will be diff oil as I've just realised that the PDK box won't have conventional ATF fluid in since it doesn't use a torque converter. Diff oil has a really distinctive smell, so 'tangy' probably confirms that. There is a separate reservoir for the clutches, but doubt it's that. Here's a guide to changing the diff oil which should give you some useful info in your fault finding.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/1080116-diy-gear-oil-change-on-981s-pdk.html

This guy just throws in some 75w90 at home on his drive.  That sounds simple enough.  Thanks Nobbie.

They seem to favour Motul fully synthetic but it looks like 75w90 oil is available all over the place like Halfords etc.