Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Maybe me and @K.I.T.T. could take him out instead.

In the words of Eminem, "Ah wait, no way - he's just kidding! He didn't just say what I think he did, did he?".

Let's just leave it there...

On 1/18/2019 at 7:27 PM, ATM said:

So the insurance company finally gave me a price today to buy back my Wreck. It was way too cheap to say no to, so I said yeah. Not really figured out anything else yet. I quite like the idea of fixing it myself but I don't get much free time so that's tricky and I don't have a drive, off street parking or garage so this would mean leaving it on the road. That has insurance and mot implications which are also complicated as the car will need to be inspected by an engineer once repaired. Anyway let's have some pics shall we. 

20181209-140350.jpg

This is an age old look, known as “BOXSTER on water”

oft followed by “Resting Boxster” 

52 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

This is an age old look, known as “BOXSTER on water”

49398179772_d1f4ed0701_b.jpg

oft followed by “Resting Boxster” 

49398863897_f141ae2e2a_b.jpg

Good effort

Looks like the passenger side interfaced with the central reservation?

I also did the same in my 986 in 2004. I clipped the front corner on a vertical post and that flipped me round quicker than the waltzers. Insurance fixed that one for about 13000.

Police man who turned up gave me a right talking to.  If you are unlucky and hit the central reservation at a sharp enough angle but in between the vertical posts you can get the car wedged underneath the barrier because it is so low. If you do that its game over and definitely good night. He said he found one guy's reamins down the grass verge on the opposite side of the motorway. Dont fancy that.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Good effort

Looks like the passenger side interfaced with the central reservation?

I also did the same in my 986 in 2004. I clipped the front corner on a vertical post and that flipped me round quicker than the waltzers. Insurance fixed that one for about 13000.

Police man who turned up gave me a right talking to.  If you are unlucky and hit the central reservation at a sharp enough angle but in between the vertical posts you can get the car wedged underneath the barrier because it is so low. If you do that its game over and definitely good night. He said he found one guy's reamins down the grass verge on the opposite side of the motorway. Dont fancy that.

Two bmw  X5s arrived at my scene. The first went sideways on the same river running over the road that I did. The other stopped all following traffic. 

The officer’s first words were, “you don’t have to explain what happened here, Sir” 

they were very helpful. 

• Haha 2

I wonder if we need a thread "In Memoriam" for Boxsters lost over the years, whether collision (car/scenery) or IMS etc.

I'd put 80% down to wet roads, whether multiple or single vehicle involved.

It might serve as a reminder to regulars or newbies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

hopfully oil or grease on the brake disc from work done,just make sure its not brake fluid or diff grease leaking and hitting hot rotors...

I'm thinking it might have been some oil on the exhaust itself burning off.  I didn't see anything this morning but it hardly got warm.

23 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

Will be interesting to see how much this project cost.

Costs so far are -

Full suspension corner - £700

Driveshaft - £350

DVLA Clamp release fee - £100

Garage bill which includes the MOT fee - £470

Taxi ride to collect it - £30

C clip for the half shaft from Porsche was £1.20 or something insignificant

Total so far - £1650

So far the battery is working well so I might have saved that by using the conditioner

I'd like some new tyres and a wheel refurb.  I might put the 18 winter set on for now and get some use out of those in these freezing temps.  Then I can take the 19 set to a wheel place for fettling.  I think the wheel itself which was ripped off is fine but I need it checking on a wheel balancing machine.

I'll get some pics up of how it looks now with its gaffa tape on

Assuming you had a good payout and were able to buy it back at a good price, it definitely seems like it was very worthwhile. 

You obviously will take a bit of a hit when you sell as it was written off but hope you still do well.

1 minute ago, RickLS7 said:

Assuming you had a good payout and were able to buy it back at a good price, it definitely seems like it was very worthwhile. 

You obviously will take a bit of a hit when you sell as it was written off but hope you still do well.

I'm hoping to make about 10 grand out of it.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:22 PM, Mr96er said:

Two bmw  X5s arrived at my scene. The first went sideways on the same river running over the road that I did. The other stopped all following traffic. 

The officer’s first words were, “you don’t have to explain what happened here, Sir” 

they were very helpful. 

lol.

14 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

But you spent £1650 (so far).

Hmmmm, someone’s grossly over quoting the repair costs. 

One of my mates said that any parts ripped from the car have to be replaced.  The Half Shaft is like £700 from Porsche and that's just a metal bar.  Then you have stuff like the brake caliper which was obviously fine.  It all adds up - fast.

15 hours ago, mneil said:

Well done! Glad you've got your car back and a little bonus t'boot£££££😃.

Yeah any OCD types would be horrified but its just a car and it drives fine even with some body work damage. 

I have noticed a little rattle coming from the front.  Sounds like its behind the dashboard on my side.  I might have a rummage around where the battery goes and see if anything is obviously loose.