ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/31/2019 at 8:51 PM, ATM said:

It's arrived 

20190131-204837.jpg

Just rereading this thread. This is where it started off. My none-car friends thought I was crazy but I did it. Yes it took me way longer than it should. I did what I set out to do which was get the car back on 4 wheels for as cheap as possible. I did this all myself with used parts. I did this all outside on the street. I did this all using basic hand tools, a trolley jack and axle stands. I bought a puller to get the drive shaft out but otherwise bought nothing else except the parts required. I know its not finished yet but my work is done. Insurance quote was for 17 grand - at least - so let's see where we end up. In summary 

Engine now working fine.

Gearbox now working fine.

Car now driving fine.

Car now braking fine.

Once MOT and bodywork done then its finished.  The bodywork may need some more cost cutting but let's see.

I may get it serviced too and new tyres and whatever else but that's just part of owning a car and nothing to do with the damage.

I fixed my written off Porsche. It wasn't that complicated. Anyone can do it.

• Like 1

Great almost end story, at least your in the driving seat now, might look at bumper and if not using them for bodywork ask how much they are paying for new number and you might get all there work and a service for nothing.stick with your own bumper as may not be much extra if doing loads of bodywork elsewhere......

The other Porsche I have been living with is a 1998 996. I really like the 996 but stuff seems to keep failing on that car. When you start tinkering with that and then compare it to a 2012 you realise that all the nuts and bolts feel brand new. So the 981 is still a new car really - by comparison.

I'm not too OCD about cars and grew up driving complete turds. So a not so perfect Porsche to me is still a great car. I don't understand how some OCD types just see the repaired bits and focus on those rather than all the good bits. This would be a different story if the front was carved in.

I did get lucky with the damage as in the repair was dead simple. All I've done is bolt on some bits. But the story is still the same and I love a good story. I'll be boring everyone with this for years.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, ATM said:

I went to see the car at the repair place where it went for assessment.

20190105-180818.jpg20190118-193234.jpg

Hi

Is the silver car yours ? I am sure that’s around the corner from me as I ran past it this morning?

1 hour ago, shiftspark said:

Hi

Is the silver car yours ? I am sure that’s around the corner from me as I ran past it this morning?

Yeah

Currently not moving much as the driver side window regulator is busted so the window is jammed up by hand from the inside. I was climbing in and out of the passenger side door over Christmas until the door catch on that side stopped working.

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

...except your dad :) 

The ending (is it the ending?) does give heart and hope that this is possible. You should be proud. 

Well the sceptic in me says that the quote for bodywork from the Porsche garage will be mental. And if that's the case I'll need to shop around and that will be tricky if I cant drive it. So the game then will be getting an MOT before repairing the body.

I like the idea of driving it around a bit before I commit to expensive bodywork repairs. The sceptic in me is saying this is a good idea because it gives me a chance to test the car thoroughly before spending many more monies.

So I might be dragging this out a bit longer. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. 

You think someone could pull that out - that had not occurred to me. I'm hoping a bit of gaffer tape to prevent the side skirt protruding too much and it would pass an MOT. Does anyone know the rules now regarding MOT for a car which is damaged. 

1 hour ago, ATM said:

You think someone could pull that out - that had not occurred to me. I'm hoping a bit of gaffer tape to prevent the side skirt protruding too much and it would pass an MOT. Does anyone know the rules now regarding MOT for a car which is damaged. 

2.1 re bodywork, "specific areas"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot

Edited by iborguk

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Thanks

Bit vague though

I'm hoping specific areas are important stress points like suspension mounting point and chassis rails and what not. 

As I expected sharp edges are a no no so you don't accidentally slice pedestrian limbs off

2.1 Body, vehicle structure and general items

These will be inspected to check that:

• they’re free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas
  • there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury

2 minutes ago, ATM said:

Thanks

Bit vague though

I'm hoping specific areas are important stress points like suspension mounting point and chassis rails and what not. 

As I expected sharp edges are a no no so you don't accidentally slice pedestrian limbs off

2.1 Body, vehicle structure and general items

These will be inspected to check that:

• they’re free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas
  • there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury

Beat me to it....better explanation 6.2.1

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/6-body-structure-and-attachments#section-6-2-1

Edited by iborguk

@ATM, are you in Manchester? Slightly out of your way, but there's a very good bodyshop I can recommend in Blackburn. Excellent standard of work, and reasonably priced "cash" jobs.

it's hard to kmow if it could be repaired by a talented dent guy i did say pull it a "little" to take the bad look off it , but if you watch some the dent guys on youtube and what they do they are amazing, dents like you think that needs a panel replaced and they work away at it.

it is really hard to tell from your pictures what the damage is like

8 hours ago, ATM said:

Yeah

Currently not moving much as the driver side window regulator is busted so the window is jammed up by hand from the inside. I was climbing in and out of the passenger side door over Christmas until the door catch on that side stopped working.

Ah ok, small world 👍🏻