Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

It’s the saucer shaped piece that goes over the CV joint rather than the metal band that holds the rubber cover onto the lip of the saucer shaped piece, is that correct? 

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This silver circular collar type thing I need. If you remove the gaitor then this silver ring remains. It locates by interference onto the black part which is the body of the cv joint. I'm trying to explain but surely the silver thing is visible in the pic. 

20190714-152449.jpg

Yes that’s  the protective cap for the outer CV joint, if it’s still in bits do me an outer diameter for it please along with the diameter for the inner collar. 

These things tend to be standard sizes 

Okay that’ll give me a ballpark figure to work from 

I’d go and look at mine for a part number but doubt there’d be one on view

:)

It’s page 75 on this it isn’t shown as a separate part from Porsche hence why a size is needed

https://www.porsche911.lt/files/981/E_981_KATALOG.pdf

:)

Edited by Duffy3074

I’ve had a good rake and the problem is that all of the standard sizes have holes in them to allow the retaining bolts that usually hold these onto inner CV joints

Most manufacturers mount the rubber straight into the outer surface of the joint on an outer CV, Porsche use the extra cover and that’s unusual.

Nothing obvious yet but it can’t just be Porsche that do it this way 

I’ll keep looking

• 1 month later...

After all that F around it turns out the cobbled together driveshaft does not fit. It seems the bolt pattern where it meets the stub axle is different. So I can only get one bolt in.

Frustrating

So I'm going to need a replacement driveshaft now.

• 1 month later...

Well I still have no brakes which is why I've not tried the drive. I could Jack up the rear and see if they spin but because the car is on a slope I don't really want both rears off the ground. I was worried enough releasing the handbrake to rotate the driveshaft so I could mate up the bolts.

Yes when I tried to fit my cobbled together driveshaft I ended up leaving it connected loosely by only one bolt. Then whilst I was away on Holiday my parents decided to move it slightly without letting me know. So they pushed it about 6 feet with the help of a neighbour and said there was a clunk. This clunk sheared the single bolt clean off and left a bit of it in the stub axle. I would have needed to strip all the suspension right off to get the stub axle back out of the box and didn't fancy doing that so just put in 5 out of the 6 bolts. Don't forget I still don't know if it will drive or if it is bent and I'm losing interest a bit to be honest. This is the result of that clunk.

20191019-135615.jpg
20191019-135609.jpg

P.s. Don't lose faith - you're nearly there - stick with it!

not sure if you've tried to run it yet - but don't forget to check oil & coolant levels everywhere  before you try to turn it over.

(and stick the bill on the parents - they deserve it!)

keep the faith mate you have come along way at least you know what your doing now, as for stinging your parents that would be a big no no, take it on the chin and move on, will be a bit tappety from sitting sure once you get it on the road an oil change and and a good thrash she will be grand

I've just read through the whole thread again and I'm quite pleased. From where we are now I just need the rigid brake pipe fixing or replacing. Then the bracket attaching to the inner wing where that rigid pipe meets the flexi. Right now the brake caliper is not on the car but that's an easy job. Then it should drive or we can check if it does. Then if it does we can check if it's bent and if it's not then it just needs some bodywork and we're done.

So there are a few assumptions there which are major like it will drive fine and it is not bent but I can see the end now and if I am lucky then it doesn't feel too far off.

I'm even starting to think now about if I should leave it black or change it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1