Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

ouch what was he thinking

Hopefully a whole load of F all. Otherwise he was thinking he knows better than the owner who just told him not to drive it.

Edited by ATM
Whole not While

I just called into the garage to see whats going on with my car.  I did this out of the blue to surprise them.  To be fair I was very happy with the outcome.  They showed me the car in the workshop.  I had a look at the front and it looks fine.  Cant see anything untoward so once they get the new bumper bar, bumper, paint it and fit then the front will be right as rain.

They are still waiting for the correct rigid brake pipe part to come from Porsche.  Once this arrives it will be fitted.  Then once the front is done they will take it to an MOT centre for an inspection.  Then we will know exactly what problems if any are thrown up by an MOT.

I'm feeling a lot better now although I'm trying not to think about what this is all going to cost me.  The front is getting fixed so this is now a none issue.  I would prefer if it had not happened at all but I cant ask for much more than them fixing it.  I'm still curious if they will try to charge me for the collection by trailer even though this was a disaster.

24 minutes ago, ATM said:

I just called into the garage to see whats going on with my car.  I did this out of the blue to surprise them.  To be fair I was very happy with the outcome.  They showed me the car in the workshop.  I had a look at the front and it looks fine.  Cant see anything untoward so once they get the new bumper bar, bumper, paint it and fit then the front will be right as rain.

They are still waiting for the correct rigid brake pipe part to come from Porsche.  Once this arrives it will be fitted.  Then once the front is done they will take it to an MOT centre for an inspection.  Then we will know exactly what problems if any are thrown up by an MOT.

I'm feeling a lot better now although I'm trying not to think about what this is all going to cost me.  The front is getting fixed so this is now a none issue.  I would prefer if it had not happened at all but I cant ask for much more than them fixing it.  I'm still curious if they will try to charge me for the collection by trailer even though this was a disaster.

Very pleasing to read and all you can do is stay positive. I am in a bit of a position where my car needs a fair bit of work and not really the best of times for me to just take it in and have it all done at once so I know your feeling regarding how much it adds up. 

Interested to see what they come up with during the MOT stage, I imagine they will be vigorous following the repairs so again if nothing comes of it that's a massive plus. 

What has been done about the snapped bolt in the shaft? Nothing at all or are the garage going to do something with this?   

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

What has been done about the snapped bolt in the shaft? Nothing at all or are the garage going to do something with this?   

Nothing 

Its got 5 out of 6 bolts and that's not even an MOT fail apparently. Someone told me if a car does not drive that's not an MOT fail but dont quote me.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Nothing 

Its got 5 out of 6 bolts and that's not even an MOT fail apparently. Someone told me if a car does not drive that's not an MOT fail but dont quote me.

That's cool. I didn't really mean for a mot but it's just something that would niggle me knowing it has a bolt missing. I wouldn't remove a wheel nut. 

Hope all goes well with the Mot and you can get it back and drive it a bit, hopefully rekindle a bit of love for driving it prior to finishing the rest of the bodywork. 

3 hours ago, 986CKY said:

That's cool. I didn't really mean for a mot but it's just something that would niggle me knowing it has a bolt missing. I wouldn't remove a wheel nut. 

Hope all goes well with the Mot and you can get it back and drive it a bit, hopefully rekindle a bit of love for driving it prior to finishing the rest of the bodywork. 

I'm not sure there will be love. I just dont have the roads where I live now. It's all urban grind here. The only thing I can get excited about here is dropping the roof.

15 hours ago, ATM said:

I'm not sure there will be love. I just dont have the roads where I live now. It's all urban grind here. The only thing I can get excited about here is dropping the roof.

You're not so far away from joining us guys on Strines weekend sorties or the Dales drives. 

6 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

I think he means near us in rainey Manchester ?

I'm free this weekend if you boys need me to show you how to ....

Well I'm free this weekend.  I do need to put the new window regulator in before I can drive the car.

What's going on?

19 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Which bodyshop/garage have you taken it to? Any more pics of the damage to the rear/side?

Nothing agreed yet on which bodyshop.  The garage are getting the car closer to road worthy and then quoting for bodywork.  If you have a look through the thread then you'll see the pics of the car and the damage.  Rear quarter is just pressed in about 2 inches max over an area covering about 10 by 5 inches.  There are some dinks on the door too which are 3 or 4mm deep.  These were done before I aquaplaned.  Pic here you can just make them out.  Also the odd coloured mirror I put on there temporary.

before.jpg

19 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

I think he means near us in rainey Manchester ?

Rainy Manchester that's located right at the side of the Peak District. Yet you are complaining you have no roads. I have picked my nose and flicked a bogey further than you are from absolute brilliant roads. 

It's a car, drive it.

There has been Strines runs posted up already this year from Woodhead res and the guy leading them lives in Leicester. 

If you want to find some really fun roads get yourself out to one of @Mr96er's runs, hopefully they will be some Dales one posted up by him or me in the near future also. They're good fun. 

Edit: That as much as it doesn't sound it was meant to be a nice invitation to some fun out in the cars hahahaha, having read it back I lolled! 

Edited by 986CKY
  • Like 1

Guys, read the thread from start to finish, see just how much punishment this car has taken through the thread and the depth of the luck that the OP has had with it, and now you're inviting him out on a Strines run with Loz? 

Do you actually have shares in local crash repair shops or summat?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Guys, read the thread from start to finish, see just how much punishment this car has taken through the thread and the depth of the luck that the OP has had with it, and now you're inviting him out on a Strines run with Loz? 

Do you actually have shares in local crash repair shops or summat?

Maybe me and @K.I.T.T. could take him out instead.

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

Rainy Manchester that's located right at the side of the Peak District. Yet you are complaining you have no roads. I have picked my nose and flicked a bogey further than you are from absolute brilliant roads. 

It's a car, drive it.

There has been Strines runs posted up already this year from Woodhead res and the guy leading them lives in Leicester. 

If you want to find some really fun roads get yourself out to one of @Mr96er's runs, hopefully they will be some Dales one posted up by him or me in the near future also. They're good fun. 

Edit: That as much as it doesn't sound it was meant to be a nice invitation to some fun out in the cars hahahaha, having read it back I lolled! 

Dont worry I've got thicker skin that that. 

I'd like to go for a nosey sure. I'll have a poke around and look for these posts but feel free to give me some pointers. I appreciate the encouragement. 

I used to live metres away from really good quiet curvaceous roads and it spoilt me. I've tried looking for roads round here and can't find any so please please please show me what I'm missing. 

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

So, you used to live in Scotland. Best roads in the country. 

Can't argue Scotland's roads are the best in Scotland. 

They're amazing, with beautiful scenery. We are lucky up North to have the Peaks, Lakes, Dale's, North Yorkshire Moors, Forest of Bowland and Nidderdale. 

All of which we drove in 2019. 

So we may as well make 2020 better and get a few of you guys to join us in the fun. 

I'd like to gorp at the sport edition in person @Darkstar, I'll look forward to seeing it in action! My favourite 987.1 on the forum 😬 

@ATM I'll give you a heads up. It's going to be February for me but if I see any runs happening I'll let you know 👍