Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, ATM said:

If I want to read the fault codes what do I need?

I would think at a minimum a durametric (but check what it supports re gearbox) or a porsche piwis setup.

Good indy's will have one or both, but you might find someone on here local to you who has access - check out the map in the technical questions section to see if there is anyone close to you.

Depends on what level you want to go to. 

A generic code reader will do basic functions for about £20 off of eBay, Durametric is where it’s at for Porsches however. There are members on here who will help you with that if you’re nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit daunted by the selection of different code readers. Has anyone here used a code reader on their 981?

If I'm going to buy one I'd like something that will work on my 996 and BMW too but they're just nice to have.

My priority is figuring out why the 981 isn't happy moving. I'm getting various faults now but Google seems to show other people with the same faults.

What year/model BMW do you have?   Best thing for those is a Bluetooth/WiFi OBD transmitter and the Bimmercode/BimmerLink apps on your phone. BMW’s are really customisable, you can change just about everything like permanently turning off stop/start, adjust the temperature of the heated seats etc etc.

2 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

What year/model BMW do you have?   Best thing for those is a Bluetooth/WiFi OBD transmitter and the Bimmercode/BimmerLink apps on your phone. BMW’s are really customisable, you can change just about everything like permanently turning off stop/start, adjust the temperature of the heated seats etc etc.

2005 E61 550i

No heated seats

No stop start

I would like to adjust the self levelling suspension down a bit at the back

DSC-0087.jpg

Edited by ATM
More words

You can’t use BimmerLink/BimmerCode on your E61 but you can look on the forums for details on how to code, you will need a laptop and cable. It’s well worth looking into especially if there lots of things on your car that are plain annoying.

For the Boxster, I have a Durametric cable.  Bought mine from the US for £170 but they are twice that in the UK.  These will communicate with all the modules in the car, don’t buy one that just reads engine codes.  I’m sure someone will recommend a cheaper Durametric option.

20 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

You can’t use BimmerLink/BimmerCode on your E61 but you can look on the forums for details on how to code, you will need a laptop and cable. It’s well worth looking into especially if there lots of things on your car that are plain annoying.

For the Boxster, I have a Durametric cable.  Bought mine from the US for £170 but they are twice that in the UK.  These will communicate with all the modules in the car, don’t buy one that just reads engine codes.  I’m sure someone will recommend a cheaper Durametric option.

I've heard DURAMETRIC mentioned a lot. I've got a friend in the States so I could ask him to get me this cable if that's all I need?

If you have this option, definitely do it.  Eventually, you will be able to sell it for what you bought it for.

Have a look on their site for what it can do, you can use it on your 996 too.

That’s where you are wrong and it’s part of the reason I started the thread
I respect your willingness to forge on alone but if you ask for help I’ve no doubt somebody will step up if they are nearby 

ATM - if you want to borrow mine for a week, you're welcome to.  I'm in Macc, just don't run off with it, or fek it up as they're not the cheapest things ;)

Edited by Skidd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skidd said:

ATM - if you want to borrow mine for a week, you're welcome to.  I'm in Macc, just don't run off with it, or fek it up as they're not the cheapest things ;)

Very generous thanks. I'll rush over tonight and fetch it before you change your mind. Can you PM address if that's ok?

• Like 1

Not much news here. I did collect the durametric from Skidd - thanks again - on Thursday night. I planned to install this on my work laptop which is Windows. I have a Mac at home. But Friday was cut short and we were sent home early due to Coronovirus. We've been asked to work from home from now on. I have tried the install at home but it needs some extra permissions that I dont have. So I'll ask the IT gods on Monday if this will be allowed and if not I'll need to source another laptop.

I did have a brief look at the DURAMETRIC website and it mentions clearing the air bag light on 996 cars so that's another job I'd like to try on mine.

I did pull the battery off the 981 on Saturday morning and bring it in the house to charge it up. I know that's not the recommended procedure but as the car is parked on a road I had no choice. I was hoping a few hours on my 13 quid Lidl charger would see it right. But no. Even after almost 24 hours it's still flashing away - which means it's not yet fully charged. I left the car locked with the bonnet slightly open.

For anyone who hasn't removed their battery you need superhuman strength to lift it up with your arm fully outstretched. I'd guess it's about 25kg. I was worried about denting the wing with my thighs. I did consider standing in the boot but wasn't sure about that.

10 minutes ago, Duffy3074 said:

Good stuff

I stood in the frunk to do mine 

it’s quite heavy

:)

Did you put anything in the frunk to stand on and spread the load?  I'd be slightly concerned about damaging the floor otherwise?