Rebuilding my Wreck

ATM

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice result! As others have noted, a little lowering with X73 or wheel offset with spacers would do wonders. I would also add the standard Porsche badges on the rear boot and paint the hoops gloss black. These are all small details, the car looks stunning as is.

I'm getting the feeling we're all spending @ATM's money here.  He's spend a pretty penny getting to this point, but pointer to the future may be.  The dangers of going custom...

20220903-085842.jpg

@ATM echoing what has been said previously: this is an amazing colour choice - it looks fantastic.

I keep kicking around a colour change for mine but there are so many "go better goodies" for my 986 that the spend would cover.

More pictures as and when please.

16 minutes ago, map said:

20220903-085842.jpg

@ATM echoing what has been said previously: this is an amazing colour choice - it looks fantastic.

I keep kicking around a colour change for mine but there are so many "go better goodies" for my 986 that the spend would cover.

More pictures as and when please.

The only reason I went for the full colour change is the car was being painted anyway.  If I had a car which was fine and dandy would I want to spend out on painting - not sure.

I do have my old 996 which has been sat around for months undriven, SORN and feeling unloved.  It needs quite a few panels painting and therefore it is easy to assume it needs a full paint.  But then I just decided why bother and bought another 996 which didn't need painting.  I should really sell the old 996 but I am too emotionally attached to it to do that.  So for now it sits rotting.  I could not really get too excited about repainting it Silver but a different colour does appeal.  The problem with a colour change is all the inside like under the bonnet etc which is all still be the original colour.  If stuff like that will bother you then stick to the original colour.  I guess in a way it feels like you are getting more for your money if you get the colour changed instead of just repainting it the same colour as it was before.  I you like Silver then that's fine.  It is not awful and it is classic Porsche 996 / 986.  The original 986 concept was Silver.  

Even Porsche are at it with their Class Coupe car.  Personally I think they played it a bit safe with grey although nowadays a lot of people get excited by Grey.

Final thought before I stop rambling on.  I have never in my life had the opportunity to choose the colour of a car.  I know ordering new you can order the colour you want.  I have never done this.  I have never ordered a car new.  I have always just bought cars second hand and the colour is kind of part and parcel of the car.  It was a difficult time deliberating over the colour.   think its tuned out great and I hope I will continue to think that.  
Only time will tell.

I'll dig out some more pics.

99-porsche-911-classic-club-coupe.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Raffe said:

Love it, looks great and great to see something different.

Already had quite a few positive comments from Joe Public which is nice.  Not any bad vibes yet just Love for the Lean Green Mean Machine called Olive or should it be Olivia?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Already had quite a few positive comments from Joe Public which is nice.  Not any bad vibes yet just Love for the Lean Green Mean Machine called Olive or should it be Olivia?

Remember, some say green cars are unlucky...  All we know is its gorgeous.

After J Clarkson

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Now I see that, like my orange car or the riviera blue, the colour can appear to be quite different in photos depending on light and camera computations. 

Exactly

This early morning shot with the car covered in mist or water and it looks a bit different.

4 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Looks so good in that colour!

Has anyone ever tried colouring the chrome in the tail lights red, so it blends in with the lenses? If so, any pics? I'd be interested to see how that looks...

My painter guy suggested making that black and tying it in with a black spoiler.  I wasn't sure.