Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

16 minutes ago, CMA said:

Parts alone are almost £1k . And there's 3 to 4 hours of labour on top. Just collected my parts yesterday and will be swapping mine out at the weekend probably.

51684682300_61c303fdc6_c.jpg

And yes, that is 8 nuts at £2.17+vat each in there.....

Ok so that’s 1k for parts for one side! Ouch. I wrongly assumed that was the price plus labour for both sides. 

Just now, Stuno1 said:

Also, would a pre purchase inspection pick up if these were on the way out?

Nope, nothing visible on the mounts to indicate failure, only the warning on the dash once there is a fault. But you can ask whoever is doing a pre purchase inspection about it and see what they say, they probably know more than me. Let us know what they say.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, CMA said:

Parts alone are almost £1k . And there's 3 to 4 hours of labour on top. Just collected my parts yesterday and will be swapping mine out at the weekend probably.

51684682300_61c303fdc6_c.jpg

And yes, that is 8 nuts at £2.17+vat each in there.....

Thought about doing a write up on the procedure with photo's etc? might be useful ? 

5 minutes ago, Jago said:

Thought about doing a write up on the procedure with photo's etc? might be useful ? 

1 minute ago, daz05 said:

Strip the things down too please. Imagine everyone had been paying 4 figures for a loose wire in the plug housing 😂😂😂

Speaking of cost....wonder if I should charge per view of my "HowTo" and "StripDown", might cover the cost of the parts eventually 🤣😂

From a quick look they don't look easy to disassemble without an angle grinder, but I'll look closer when it's off. 

12 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Strip the things down too please. Imagine everyone had been paying 4 figures for a loose wire in the plug housing 😂😂😂

Porsche share price just dropped a couple of quid with that suggestion... :D 

On 10/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, CMA said:

Does anyone know if these are coded into the car or just a straight swap?

Well confirmed it's a straight swap. Got bored and finished work early so went for it. 

Went from this:

51687690339_5648e75041_k.jpg

To this:

51687284598_f4ee56faf2_k.jpg

Winner! Just got to finish putting the transmission plate, diagonal braces and undertray back on, that's a job for another day along with a fuller write up on the process.

Now waiting for the right one to fail.....

New vs Old side by side

51687286313_5c03a89166_k.jpg

Edited by CMA
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, CMA said:

Well confirmed it's a straight swap. Got bored and finished work early so went for it. 

Went from this:

51687690339_5648e75041_k.jpg

To this:

51687284598_f4ee56faf2_k.jpg

Winner! Just got to finish putting the transmission plate, diagonal braces and undertray back on, that's a job for another day along with a fuller write up on the process.

Now waiting for the right one to fail.....

New vs Old side by side

51687286313_5c03a89166_k.jpg

Well done? Easy to do?

2 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Well done? Easy to do?

Yep, easier than I was expecting. But not finished it yet and not driven it, the geometry can be affected so we'll find out when I get it finished and on the road

• Like 1

Thanks. Mine are (touches wood) ok at the mo, but it's nice to see some detail so if I ever need to look at mine, I (and others) can refer back to someone who has sorted it themsleves!

Top work & appreciated by thousands of 981 drivers worldwide. (Maybe.. :) )

Edited by andygo

• 6 months later...

Well I got the PADM code today after some spirited driving in North Wales.

Got all the tools to change them myself, but might ask my local Indy Porsche place how much extra to do during a service?

I also know a company that will have a look at the old units to see what the fault might be and they also know how to repair pretty much anything

Edited by MrOvershoot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MrOvershoot said:

Got all the tools to change them myself, but might ask my local Indy Porsche place how much extra to do during a service?

I also know a company that will have a look at the old units to see what the fault might be and they also know how to repair pretty much anything

Please don't forget to update with progress...

3 hours ago, MrOvershoot said:

Important work for the community, keep us posted.

My light came on a while ago and I just ignore it for now.  No discernible difference in ordinary driving so I'll get it sorted with the Indy service later in the year.

FYI the quoted cost to me was £752.61 + VAT for the part & 2 hours labour , so about a grand.  

It's pretty poor that Porsche don't admit this and simply provide the parts at cost under a good will banner if they see the fault code, but that is why I guess I'm glad to be away from OPCs..

Is anyone noting the part numbers of the failing mounts? The comparison photo above shows a failed part of .05 and a replacement part of .07.  Anyone know when was the change (discussion of 2013-14, 15 above) and whether newer mounts have failed?

And if the sensor works on resistance, would it help to put a meter across the terminals of a failed and new unit to see if there is a clear difference?

All random thoughts from my sofa…

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, GTSMarky said:

My light came on a while ago and I just ignore it for now.  No discernible difference in ordinary driving so I'll get it sorted with the Indy service later in the year.

FYI the quoted cost to me was £752.61 + VAT for the part & 2 hours labour , so about a grand.  

It's pretty poor that Porsche don't admit this and simply provide the parts at cost under a good will banner if they see the fault code, but that is why I guess I'm glad to be away from OPCs..

Same lalala attitude by Porsche as my warped door trim I'm afraid. To be fair, I think all car manufacturers are the same which I suppose makes business sense unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Is anyone noting the part numbers of the failing mounts? The comparison photo above shows a failed part of .05 and a replacement part of .07.  Anyone know when was the change (discussion of 2013-14, 15 above) and whether newer mounts have failed?

And if the sensor works on resistance, would it help to put a meter across the terminals of a failed and new unit to see if there is a clear difference?

All random thoughts from my sofa…

When i had my second unit replaced i asked the tech if any of the replacement units had failed, he said that a design change had been made and he had not seen the replacements fail.  I don't know if this is genuine or it was just towing the company line.  

Even if the design was changed it doesn't mean there would be a change in resistance necessarily,  i suspect the electrical properties would need to be pretty close to allow the control electronics to work properly.

• Thanks 1