Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

I'm wondering what the design change was between .05 and .07, and if it is really working (it's like us constantly on about the .04 coolant cap). As it seems these fail after 5+years so can one be sure that the design change is better (hello IMS bearing design :) or MPS3 tyres...)

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread made me think about my 3rd party warranty, which is due for renewal in a couple of months. So i e-mailed them specifically asking if Active engine mounts are covered and reply was yes 🙂,   what with the other specific parts that are covered, £200/hr+vat labour, no excess, no consequential failure, wear/tear, etc.  it seems to almost be mirroring a OPC one. Hopefully wont have to try it, but i have done all i can to try and secure decent cover

8 minutes ago, alank said:

So i e-mailed them specifically asking if Active engine mounts are covered and reply was yes 🙂

They aren't engine mounts, but transmission/drivetrain mounts on a 981. I imagine they are still covered but as we all know the insurance bods behind warranties love to get out of something on a technicality

12 hours ago, alank said:

Reading this thread made me think about my 3rd party warranty, which is due for renewal in a couple of months. So i e-mailed them specifically asking if Active engine mounts are covered and reply was yes 🙂,   what with the other specific parts that are covered, £200/hr+vat labour, no excess, no consequential failure, wear/tear, etc.  it seems to almost be mirroring a OPC one. Hopefully wont have to try it, but i have done all i can to try and secure decent cover

Which 3rd party warranty company are you using @alank? If you don’t mind me asking what are the price schedules 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alank said:

Interesting and good news! Assume this is Motoreasy? I’ll enquire about my policy if that is the case. Is it a ‘plan b’ policy?

sorry for delay Ringmaster999.  The company ,as Stuno1 says is Motoreasy. My contact is Mark.Coyle@motoreasy.com.

I pay/and will pay at renewal, £790, £40 Dep and 3 interest free payments of £250  for 18 Months cover.  The cover is as i have mentioned above in this thread. For more info look on their web site.  cheers  alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alank said:

sorry for delay Ringmaster999.  The company ,as Stuno1 says is Motoreasy. My contact is Mark.Coyle@motoreasy.com.

I pay/and will pay at renewal, £790, £40 Dep and 3 interest free payments of £250  for 18 Months cover.  The cover is as i have mentioned above in this thread. For more info look on their web site.  cheers  alan

I have emailed him to see if my policy can be amended to include them as opposed to being a 1k contribution. Did you take out the ‘plan b’ cover? 

On 6/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, alank said:

Isn't that more expensive than the Porsche warranty ?  🤔

Edit - Sorry just noticed the 18 month bit.  But even so not much in it?  I thought it was about £650 a year or £1200 for 24 months with Porsche.

Edited by moospeed

22 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Isn't that more expensive than the Porsche warranty ?  🤔

Edit - Sorry just noticed the 18 month bit.  But even so not much in it?  I thought it was about £650 a year or £1200 for 24 months with Porsche.

I just paid £2100 for 3 years OPC warranty with euro breakdown cover ( which I reckon is 100 a years worth for me) - so pure warranty £1800 ish, so 6 tankfulls a year ish.

Edit-just checked - without roadside assistance it would have been £1780 for 3 years.

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, iborguk said:

The part number is different to the 981 version. Worth checking they are the same part as it might be different for the 991 given that supports the engine whereas the 981 is supporting the transmission

• Thanks 1

Just now, CMA said:

The part number is different to the 981 version. Worth checking they are the same part as it might be different for the 991 given that supports the engine whereas the 981 is supporting the transmission

Ah fair do's, my bad.

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Ah fair do's, my bad.

It might be the same part as it's only the first 3 digits that are different (mine started 981 unsurprisingly) so could be a good bargain if someone knows its an interchangeable part or not.

4 minutes ago, CMA said:

It might be the same part as it's only the first 3 digits that are different (mine started 981 unsurprisingly) so could be a good bargain if someone knows its an interchangeable part or not.

A couple of Google hits , it looks to be 911 only.  

I should have researched it before posting.

31 minutes ago, CMA said:

Comparing their pics to mine, it looks like the threaded part may be longer for the 991

In which case it might work, it looks like it unscrews.

People shouldn't be afraid to try and repair these, I know it says not to open up the mount itself but you might find it's a bit of corrosion on the electrical socket or further in that's showing up as a short to ground error.

4 minutes ago, daz05 said:

In which case it might work, it looks like it unscrews.

People shouldn't be afraid to try and repair these, I know it says not to open up the mount itself but you might find it's a bit of corrosion on the electrical socket or further in that's showing up as a short to ground error.

Looking at my pics it seems like it might be threaded and possible to change out, but I've now thrown away my old one so can't confirm.

51689658949_889917a019_k.jpg

It is worth checking the connector for corrosion but there isn't much else to check further up as the connector pins are all moulded into the plastic to the circuit board under the grey cover, someone with more electrical knowledge than me might be able to test those connections onto the electronics board but there's not much else under that cover

52036454293_922a34a659_k.jpg

You would need access to the other side of this board to test much else, and the only way to get at that is destroy it as the pins from the connector join to it solidly though the plastic. Here you can see the back of that board and where I broke it from the pins int he plastic which got to the wiring connector
52036404621_072d365e7d_k.jpg

My main guess for failure is the seal in the pressure sensor (I'm guessing that is what the silver bit with rubber seal on is) leaks and some liquid gets through to the pins or the board and causes a short. And it's not servicable at all.

Wow great job, yes keeping them dry is important, I noted they introduced covers to protect from the elements on the 992 recently. I've attempted to protect mine to try and prevent failure for as long as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Wow great job, yes keeping them dry is important, I noted they introduced covers to protect from the elements on the 992 recently. I've attempted to protect mine to try and prevent failure for as long as possible.

The pics are from my old thread showing my dismantling of my old mount

The connectors are the standard D connector used VW group wide, pretty weatherproof by default, but no harm in trying to keep anything from them. I personally think they fail from inside.

18 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Do you have any tips you can share on how to protect them? Thanks

Edited by bbob1

I can't recommend anything since we don't know exactly why they fail but something that protects the casing from water ingress can't hurt. I also removed and cleaned around the connector and added protection. That's what I have done and they are still original at least in my ownership (touch wood)

For info but if CMA is right then it's a waste of time.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/protect-connectors-water#:~:text=Connector grease repels water from,water to ensure consistent connectivity.

• Thanks 1