Porsche Active Dynamic Mount (PADM) Fault

981Ad

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

I was under the impression these mounts worked in comfort mode unless you hit the sports plus button so if the magnetic field shorts out and you get a code fired up and the mounts are technically still in comfort mode what is the harm in just getting rid of the code like you would if you fit standard engine mounts? 

Or does this mean the mounts are no longer firm enough when driving in anger? 

From reading many of posts online now regarding PADM failure and people being out of warranty I am shocked most don't just fit standard mounts. Especially if Chrono never gets used in their cars. 

I think you are correct aka how they work, as far as I know they don’t do anything different in comfort mode (I.e. act like a standard mount) but I’m not 100% on this, maybe they work like PASM and are always active but in two levels of stiffness? I do get the impression though that the active mounts are a bit more comfort oriented when not active (obviously less compromise needs to be made w.r.t the passive units)

As for the second point. If one of these goes it would cost you around £1000 part plus 4 hours labour to fix, an alternative would be to change both mounts for passive units, in which case you buy two passive mounts, more labour (maybe not quite double) and coding of PIWIS to code out the mounts.  Likely the cost of the second option would be similar to the first. You then have a car without the advantages of the active mounts, a reduced value etc etc.  So most would go with the first option.

Interestingly when I had my second unit replaced (both under warranty) I raised this passive option with the technician; you would have thought I’d have suggested replacing the engine oil with lard the look I got; followed by ‘you wouldn’t want to do that’. So I never actually got confirmation that it was or wasn’t possible.

Edited by Greenman

On 4/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, Greenman said:

there seem plenty of people where just one has gone and the other has been fine.  

Has anybody noticed if one side seems to be more susceptible than the other?  If you've seen "plenty of people" it seems a logical question to ask.

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Has anybody noticed if one side seems to be more susceptible than the other?  If you've seen "plenty of people" it seems a logical question to ask.

It’s a reasonable question but perhaps not quite as easy to answer as you might imagine. When you have an issue it doesn’t report which side you have a problem with; the OPC has to run some diagnostics to determine the issue. Most of these have been replaced under warranty and you get provided with very little info by the OPC in this case.  I suspect you would have to get info from a Porsche technician to get any sort of accurate info.

6 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Why shocked ? Its flags up an error and why would you penny pinch?

Greenman below seemed to understand my point more. It has nothing to do with cost but function. So as below if you only get the benefit of PADM with sport+ mode and you just simply never use that function on your car and if you do it is minimal then you could make the decision to just swap out both mounts for the standard mounts which still work in the same way as your PADM in comfort mode then I am shocked more people don't go down this route. 

It would rid some people of the worry or the waiting for a fault to crop up, especially those who are on their 3rd/4th mount. 

Also it's worth knowing that this is a really common fault and it has taken some OPC's weeks to get the part's in from Porsche due to running out of units here so if you did the above and had a working engine mount you could if you wanted to make some of your funds back selling it you can. 

5 hours ago, Greenman said:

I think you are correct aka how they work, as far as I know they don’t do anything different in comfort mode (I.e. act like a standard mount) but I’m not 100% on this, maybe they work like PASM and are always active but in two levels of stiffness? I do get the impression though that the active mounts are a bit more comfort oriented when not active (obviously less compromise needs to be made w.r.t the passive units)

As for the second point. If one of these goes it would cost you around £1000 part plus 4 hours labour to fix, an alternative would be to change both mounts for passive units, in which case you buy two passive mounts, more labour (maybe not quite double) and coding of PIWIS to code out the mounts.  Likely the cost of the second option would be similar to the first. You then have a car without the advantages of the active mounts, a reduced value etc etc.  So most would go with the first option.

Interestingly when I had my second unit replaced (both under warranty) I raised this passive option with the technician; you would have thought I’d have suggested replacing the engine oil with lard the look I got; followed by ‘you wouldn’t want to do that’. So I never actually got confirmation that it was or wasn’t possible.

Interesting that you didn't really get an answer to that. It's something that would be well worth finding out for folk in the future. Again as above if you just don't really bother with Sport+ are you really getting any benefit from them.  

Edited by 986CKY

On 4/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, GTSMarky said:

Is there a 'How To' video out there somewhere to get to these mounts?

If it's 4 hours of Porsche technician time double or treble that for a home mechanic job, unless there's some special unobtainable tools needed..

I found this Facebook post related to performing this work, I don’t have Facebook so I’ve no idea if it’s useful (front page looks interesting), maybe someone check it out and see, it could just be the front page?

https://www.facebook.com/1787593444886128/posts/porsche-boxster-981-padm-porsche-active-drivetrain-mounts-replacementbengkelmobi/2226279471017521/

Edited by Greenman

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Reading this thread with interest.  2014 981 failed 4 months after warranty expired.  One of the hydraulic mounts was replaced by Porsche Centre Leeds.  Porsche contributed the full cost of the part less VAT, but had to pay full labour which I was happy with.  The car is a bit of a garage queen and has only covered 2000 miles since then (13,000 total).  Today (whilst not using Sport Plus), the warning came on again.  It’s going in at the beginning of October.   I mentioned the previous repair to the service guy.  He checked with his manager and told me the warranty on the previous repair is only covered for 2 years.  I’ve had to authorise a 1 hour diagnostic time.  Looks like it’s full price this time.  I’ll report back.

Edited by Alan

TIt’s a ferrofluid coupling.  The ferrofluid stiffens up when a magnetic field is applied across it.  The stiffness is proportional to the electrical current passed through it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid .

It’s a “sealed for life” item.  Unfortunately the life seems short in my experience.

Edited by Alan

1 hour ago, Alan said:

It’s a “sealed for life” item.  Unfortunately the life seems short in my experience.

Indeed.  I think however it isn’t the ferrofluid aspect that actually fails, it’s seems to be shorts in the electromagnet element that causes the issue. I assume (speculation) that the continual movement of the unit causes either some fatigue to set in to the coils or there is some friction that wears through somehow.  I was told by the Porsche technician that the design had changed and he hadn’t seen any failures of the newer design units, whether or not that’s true or just bluster I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

TIt’s a ferrofluid coupling.  The ferrofluid stiffens up when a magnetic field is applied across it.  The stiffness is proportional to the electrical current passed through it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid .

Thanks

I was looking at these the other day, they have electrical plugs in quite an exposed position it wouldn't surprise me if some of these fail because of corrosion on the contact points, your average OPC won't bother checking that they will simply replace them. 

It always seems to be 2014 and 15 cars that fail?

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

I was told by the Porsche technician that the design had changed and he hadn’t seen any failures of the newer design units, whether or not that’s true or just bluster I don’t know.

It will be interesting to see if it is the original or the replacement that has failed in mine.  I’ll report back after the service.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

I was looking at these the other day, they have electrical plugs in quite an exposed position it wouldn't surprise me if some of these fail because of corrosion on the contact points, your average OPC won't bother checking that they will simply replace them. 

Interesting.  Mine is 2014.  Are the connectors relatively accessible without jacking up the car?  Would Like to check them if possible before it goes in.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

Interesting.  Mine is 2014.  Are the connectors relatively accessible without jacking up the car?  Would Like to check them if possible before it goes in.

They are located just in front of the exhaust back boxes. Jacking and supporting with axle stands would be advisable for access.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:46 AM, daz05 said:

They are located just in front of the exhaust back boxes. Jacking and supporting with axle stands would be advisable for access.

Unfortunately I don’t have the equipment to do that.  I’m an old git anyway, so I probably shouldn’t be crawling under cars nowadays 🙂. Thanks anyway.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:13 PM, daz05 said:

I have a 2013 -63' plate S - and it failed. was replaced in a few hours at Northwood. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has now been diagnosed that the original engine mounting has failed and not the one replaced 2 years ago.  I’m looking at a £1.3K bill to replace it.  Porsche GB generously offered to pay for the part that failed 2 years ago, minus the VAT as the warranty had just expired.  No offer this time.  I’m going to leave it for now.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

It has now been diagnosed that the original engine mounting has failed and not the one replaced 2 years ago.  I’m looking at a £1.3K bill to replace it.  Porsche GB generously offered to pay for the part that failed 2 years ago, minus the VAT as the warranty had just expired.  No offer this time.  I’m going to leave it for now.

Bad luck, factor in the cost of warranty and inspection and as long as you get a dry run afterwards it maybe isn't so bad. Take the hit and enjoy the car.

There must be someone out there who can refurb these! 

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Bad luck, factor in the cost of warranty and inspection and as long as you get a dry run afterwards it maybe isn't so bad. Take the hit and enjoy the car.

There must be someone out there who can refurb these! 

Thanks daz05, I still love the car.

3 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Mines a late 2015 with PASM, I’m beginning to wish it didn’t have it as those mounts appear to be a liability. If I do get a failure the cars under a third party warrant that hopefully should cover it/them. 

This could be a typo.  If not PASM /= PADM

PADM in theory are a good thing improving handling, whist also improving comfort whist tootling. Obviously when it goes wrong though it’s not ideal.

I thought PASM was the same thing? Electronic damper control option 475. Or are you talking about a different system?

Edit. I think PADM is electronic engine dampers or something like that? They’re not mentioned on my cars option listing so I don’t think I’ve got them. 

I got confused. 

Edited by bandit_287