Does my little Boxster not like being washed???

Remodot

I washed her last week and while I was power washing before snow foam the alarm suddenly went off. Today the same thing happened again as I was blasting the near side front wheel. Power washer isn't on full power, just enough to dislodge the road much. I didn't note which part I was washing last week when the alarm went off. Car dry as a bone on the inside so no water ingress. Any ideas? 

LHSoNYY.jpg

BIX4L6p.jpg

can only imagine its something in the cabin picking up air movement - so if you are power washing the roof - don't - if not - then try closing the air vents - a 100 years ago on an rs turbo with an aftermarket alarm it would go off when my neighbour closed slammed his side gate........

not notices it on mine but I *think* that I normally wash mine unlocked

28 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Power washer isn't on full power, just enough to dislodge the road much.

Sounds pretty freaking powerful to me...

Thanks Paul P. I don't use it on the roof. I was washing the wheel when it went off. 

Isn't that powerful, just enough to get dust and some grime off. 

2 minutes ago, Remodot said:

Thanks Paul P. I don't use it on the roof. I was washing the wheel when it went off. 

Wow - "did the earth move for you....." - perhaps a tilt sensor but I would still suspect an over sensitive interior sensor - if you are near someone with a piwis I think that can tell you what triggered the alarm most recently 

Errr don’t tell anybody but I don’t think there is an interior sensor on the car. The tilt sensor is on the gear tunnel under the radio. My money would be on one of the micro switches maybe the inner door catch just bouncing a bit. As Paul says it will probably be logged in the ECU for a while what caused it.

Think you are right. I have left the roof down and windows open today while car is in the drive, the alarm is set and the wind is a bit gusty which I would have thought would trigger the alarm, well not a peep. Think in future I will wash it with alarm disarmed. 

Happy to be wrong but I thought there was an interior sensor on the boxster and that it was disabled when the roof was down. 

Memory is dim and I realise it could be jus the tilt sensor but I remember in the handbook it mentions pressing lock twice in quick succession disabled the interior sensor. 

I am sure you are right Paul reading previous posts on here :)

Great idea, but bit of a long drive just for a wash!!! Plus think my wife might have a few words as she complains that I wash the Boxster 2 to 3 time more often than her CX-5.

1 minute ago, Remodot said:

Great idea, but bit of a long drive just for a wash!!! Plus think my wife might have a few words as she complains that I wash the Boxster 2 to 3 time more often than her CX-5.

my wife is the same . our volvo xc60 rarely gets a wash  some overspill from the boxster is its norm ... 

are you coming the scottish weekend meet mate . ???

Hi fat haggis, we had thought about it when first discussed, our plan was to do the NC500 this month and meet up with you all. But changes in plans along with Dundee school holidays being next week and the week after we have been roped into looking after the grandkids 

3 hours ago, Jason986S said:

My alrm went off on my 986 when a dropped my jacket onto the passenger seat forgetting it was alarmed (roof off) at Beaulieu. Quite embarrassing scrambling for the keys to shut it up!

Ha same happened to me at Beauleiu when Nick chucked his jumper in the car !

I'm not trying to tell you how to wash your car here but don't use the pressure washer to move muck, it just shoves it over your paint and leaves scratches behind. Let the snow foam do the work, it's what's its made for. 

Thought after all this talk I'd better wash my wife's car, couldn't resist doing the Boxster as well 😃 . Thought I'd try it again with alarm set, alarm did not go off. 

9 hours ago, EXY said:

IIRC the interior sensor is infra-red not ultra-sonic and most definitely works when the hood is down. 

I would have though it was a microwave one...thats what the new Meta one I had fitted to my TVR Chimaera was.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:52 PM, Nick_McUK said:

I would have though it was a microwave one...thats what the new Meta one I had fitted to my TVR Chimaera was.

Naaah it's IR and worked whether the hood was up or down on our MY04 986.

Earlier cars needed a 'little red clip' I believe. 

18 hours ago, EXY said:

Naaah it's IR and worked whether the hood was up or down on our MY04 986.

Earlier cars needed a 'little red clip' I believe. 

Yeah but the OP's car is a 987 (as is mine :)) its deffo not IR on mine.

4 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

Yeah but the OP's car is a 987 (as is mine :)) its deffo not IR on mine.

I wasn't replying to the OP and it is deffo (whatever that means 🤣

IR on a 986 😁

Edit;

I miss Berty, he actually seemed to know what he was talking about ( ;) take a dekko at #20)

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-electronics/21554-interior-alarm-sensor-leaving-windows-down-someone-sticks-their-hand.html

11 hours ago, EXY said:

I wasn't replying to the OP and it is deffo (whatever that means 🤣

IR on a 986 😁

Edit;

I miss Berty, he actually seemed to know what he was talking about ( ;) take a dekko at #20)

https://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-electronics/21554-interior-alarm-sensor-leaving-windows-down-someone-sticks-their-hand.html

OP = Original poster :)

So I was right in my assumption that there was a microwave sensor on the 987's then.

As I say when I had my TVR and had a new alarm fitted it had a microwave sensor installed under the centre console that protected the interior as convertibles are not idea with ultrasonic as you cant leave the roof down as the slightest breeze will set it off where as the microwave sensors actually detect physical mass movement.

By the way take the p*ss but everyone should own a TVR at some point, they teach you a couple of things....

1. How to drive a powerful car with ZERO computer assistance

2. ....mechanics and how things work 

:D:D

Archived