White powder substance in whole interior of 987

Blackbelt786

Hi guys, my first post on here. 
My wife started my 2006 2.7 tiptronic boxster and she heard a huge pop from behind the drivers seat, she jumped out and shut the door. There is now a white powder substance similar to talcum powder all over the interior of the car especially behind the drivers seat, it's everywhere.

Its been nowhere near Cuba, just Manchester.

Could it have been an airbag imploding? It drives fine and there are no warning lights at all... Really puzzled as to what it is or could be, any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

No error messages strangely.

I'm 6ft 5" tall and have the seat as far back as it goes and have the backrest pressing within an inch of its life to the rear firewall, she moved the seat forward as she normally does and this happened before even having driven off the drive. I wonder if my aggressive driving, 120kg weight and seat position caused the seat airbag to commit suicide and go all kamikaze on me 😑

im 1.5 inch shorter than you and 135kg out of all the boxsters i have had and i've had them all . i haven't had anything like your predicament . i can understand the drivers seat as far back as the power back will let it . then letting it go back to normal .......  never had anything like that ???

If it’s an airbag “deployment” then not surprised it hasn’t triggered a fault light.  In normal operation I don’t think you would need a light to say “bad thing happened”  However I would expect there to be a deflated bag and evidence of the “exit wound” if the bag had deployed. 

Don’t know but what’s a seatbelt pre tensioner deployment look like. ? 

I have read that these things can trigger if “foot on brake and seat moves (not latched properly) so the car thinks a bad thing is happening  “ 

i would imagine there’s a code logged for a “deployment “ of some kind even if it doesn’t trigger a light. 

7 hours ago, Blackbelt786 said:

and have the seat as far back as it goes and have the backrest pressing within an inch of its life to the rear firewall

When I got the pax seat headrest jammed under the roll hoop as it was so far back, it caused an error message linked to the auto-airbag-off system with the weight sensor for young children. I throw that out there.

Seatbelt pre tensioner is a good call.

It was an old fire extinguisher under the drivers seat 🙈

Took it my local garage so they could plug their obd tool, the mechanic came back with a small fire extinguisher the size of a shaving foam canister that was still relatively heavy with the tiniest puncture hole in the side of the body.. oh the embarrassment lol

Missus wouldn't let me use her Dyson so took it to the local friendly hand car wash and they did an amazing job cleaning it up, tipped them heavily.

Thank you for the advice and funny responses, who knew my life's menoporsche phase would be so interesting lol

Jason, if you have, do you take it out and shake it regularly? The powder compacts over time with vibration, and it becomes worthless.

If you read Escy's story of his car that caught fire, you'll also see how quickly they go up, and how useless those 1 litre extinguishers are unless you move really quickly.

Archived