Boxster 987S manual to 981S PDK first thoughts

Broxie

Collected my latest Boxster this week having sold my 2007 987S last year. I really liked the look of the 981 and think the changes to the car are stunning. After hunting for a relatively short period (less than two weeks), I found a 2014 987S in an OPC at what initially looked a little top heavy on price. Further investigation and a visit to the dealer, the car is in immaculate unmarked condition, had just under 18,000 miles on the clock with two owners (Porsche Reading then a private customer who bought the car from the OPC I viewed it at).

It's got some options, heated seats, sport chrono, cruise etc but the colour was just right for me (Agate Grey) as my previous was Slate Grey. Having never bought from an OPC before, I was expecting a little snobbery but the salesman at Solihull could not have been more helpful. Better still he was willing to talk sensible figures with the price I was willing to pay and we shook hands on a deal that we were both happy with. They prepped the car, waxed it, full tank of fuel, new front tyres (5 years old, not worn but signs of age in shoulders perishing).

My first impressions having "thought" I wanted a manual. The PDK is not an automatic gearbox. It's a clever box of digital magic that is like having a manual gearbox autopilot fitted. It is streets ahead of the tiptronic in a 996 I used to own. It seems to pre-empt manoeuvres based on black magic and is almost always in the right gear for what you need. The only tiny niggle is I don't generally change down for gentle overtaking on the motorway so I tend to click it to manual and leave it in top gear for cruising along. The economy seems exceptional, 150 mile motorway run "keeping up with traffic" showed near 40mpg on the indicator. Yet to run accurate check of fuel myself as it's still got fuel left from original purchase.

The roof is very good compared to the 987 as it's fully automatic and runs off the key as well, there is no mechanical handle to lock as Porsche have automated it. The fitment against the windows is slightly different too so it won't suffer from the knicker elastic issues of the 987 where you have to tuck in the edges with the roof in half position.

I was worried it didn't have xenons but the standard lights are much better than the old 987 and on full beam seem to illuminate much more of the road. So far, very pleased with my decision on the particular car and choice of seller. A full 2 year Porsche warranty too. I'm now ready for summer.

box_n1.jpg

3 hours ago, Broxie said:

Keen observers will note I've had my driveway done

Yeah but we need better pics in order to check whether centre cap alignment has also been fixed! :busted:

8 hours ago, Broxie said:

was worried it didn't have xenons but the standard lights are much better than the old 987 and on full beam seem to illuminate much more of the road

The ‘S’ does have Xenons as standard, they are just slightly lower wattage and hence none auto levelling, either way they are much better than standard halogen bulbs though not as good as the PDLS.

Hopefully you got out in it today to properly blow the showroom smell away🙂 

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

The ‘S’ does have Xenons as standard, they are just slightly lower wattage and hence none auto levelling, either way they are much better than standard halogen bulbs though not as good as the PDLS.

Hopefully you got out in it today to properly blow the showroom smell away🙂 

Thanks for the info Greenman. Still learning the finer details of this model.

Sadly the car is sat at an airport car park as I’ve been away on business this weekend. It’ll be let loose again tomorrow afternoon and on Monday though 🙂

Archived