987 3.4S - Possible Purchase?!?

Ralph007

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal thought, is like any problem in any car, the internet blows it out of all proportion as people tend to join forums for advice when they have an issue, that would never normally join, thus skewing the perception of numbers affected. 

But do you agree or disagree with me? The point is that if you disagree with me, you have a stance. If you demand that I must prove my stance with facts and figures, you must have your own facts and figures if you are going to insist that my stance is wrong.

That you disagree with me and demand things from me that you weren't willing to provide yourself is clearly unreasonable.

My views, for the record, are not based on what car owners post on forums. They are largely based on factors including the actual technicalities of the engines involved (for instance, the 987.1 3.4 Boxster and Cayman having exactly the same engine), speaking to numerous people in the trade, the build numbers involved and so on.

As it happens, I have discussed with someone in the trade the build numbers thing. They said they hadn't considered that previously and agreed that it may well explain why the Cayman has the worse rep for bore scoring despite having exactly the same engine in 3.4 form. The build numbers thing isn't something that's always taken into account.

For the record, I take the view that the IMS thing was always overblown and for the reasons you mention - stuff posted on the internet. Scoring on the big M97 engines is a much, much more widespread issue than IMS failure ever was.

How many times? I have no stance. That does not make it unreasonable for asking you to provide data for yours as you clearly believe it to 100% correct.

You can argue your points all day long, without hard data to back them up it is simply your opinion.

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

How many times? I have no stance. That does not make it unreasonable for asking you to provide data for yours as you clearly believe it to 100% correct.

You can argue your points all day long, without hard data to back them up it is simply your opinion.

I do not believe I'm 100% correct. I have a view. Some parts of that view view I'm 100% certain of because they are facts, other parts I'm fairly confident of, others less so. I wish you would stop making things up.

It's also clear you disagree with me. But you're not even reasonable enough to be honest about that. 

Ultimately, if you can't even play by your own rules, we're not going to get anywhere.

I might have loads. But seeing as you can't even admit you disagree with me and can't provide any numbers of your own, why should I be your performing monkey.

Just for a moment I thought you were going to be a reasonable human being. Clearly not.

Afraid, it's clear you;re both unreasonable and clueless. I tried, but you're just another clueless crank.

4 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

You have no data, it is plain as day.

And the people who say the problem is not worth worrying about etc, yet no one questions them on how they got their data. You can't win. 

I am sorry I seem to have started a big debate, that wasn’t my intention just looking for some advice on a potential purchase. 

I appreciate there are wildly different views on the associated risks from both camps and think I have read a lot from different people, will do my upmost to mitigate risk and report back!!!!👍

Si

If I were in the 987.1 market I would buy either a 3.2 Boxster or a 2.7 Cayman.

I have zero evidence or statistics to back this up, however nor do I have the b011ocks to invest in a M97 3.4 donkey.

No offence intended toward any happy 3.4 owners...

Cheers, Baggers.

1 minute ago, bagss2 said:

If I were in the 987.1 market I would buy either a 3.2 Boxster or a 2.7 Cayman.

I have zero evidence or statistics to back this up, however nor do I have the b011ocks to invest in a M97 3.4 donkey.

No offence intended toward any happy 3.4 owners...

Cheers, Baggers.

+ 1

1 hour ago, Ralph007 said:

I am sorry I seem to have started a big debate, that wasn’t my intention just looking for some advice on a potential purchase. 

I appreciate there are wildly different views on the associated risks from both camps and think I have read a lot from different people, will do my upmost to mitigate risk and report back!!!!👍

Si

Don't worry about it. These sorts of spats are pretty rare round here but usually pretty entertaining when they get going. And at least one of today's protagonists seems to like them. 🤔

I’d say there’s a higher chance of it being stolen, crashed or over heating than ims or bore score.

As well prices reflect the potential engine issues - which are small. So for the cheap entry price to 987’s take the small risk and just go and enjoy it!!

if really concerned then go get a 2.7 or a newer 981, I’m sticking with my 987 3.4, cheap happy motoring 😀

All b*ll*cks my 3.4 at 80k uses no oil or makes no noises in fact it as a smooth as a alpaca lined codpeice !! FFS !! Get a grip you lot, every car has its issues but not all whom ever manufacture, in fact I’m getting fed up to the back teeth now , next thing you know Porsche will be fitting four cylinder engines....god forbid!!😂😂

2 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

next thing you know Porsche will be fitting four cylinder engines....god forbid!!😂😂

I believe it happened the same year you were born? No data, just from year of manufacture and the age you look.😇

qOvlQLP.jpg

30 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

All b*ll*cks my 3.4 at 80k uses no oil or makes no noises in fact it as a smooth as a alpaca lined codpeice !! FFS !! Get a grip you lot, every car has its issues but not all whom ever manufacture, in fact I’m getting fed up to the back teeth now , next thing you know Porsche will be fitting four cylinder engines....god forbid!!😂😂

I am not religious but I do believe it should be a capital 'G'

4 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I am not religious but I do believe it should be a capital 'G'

Only in Ireland.

The only fact I know about borescore on the 3.4 Boxster is that if you type it in a thread three times then Pothole and Toplad instantly appear and start arguing. Yes, I do have data🤣

Archived