987 3.4S - Possible Purchase?!?

Ralph007

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

The only fact I know about borescore on the 3.4 Boxster is that if you type it in a thread three times then Pothole and Toplad instantly appear and start arguing. Yes, I do have data🤣

Didn't want to go there! :whistle1:

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Why do you bother reading it then.? 

Because there is a good chance on here I will read something interesting. But a much repeated debate on the same topic with no new evidence is daft. But the above chaps are welcome to carry on, who am I to judge. Hell, I started a topic on a 3.4 Cayman I was looking to buy, but uploaded a video to discuss and analyse, so it was remotely helpful. 

5 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Because there is a good chance on here I will read something interesting. 

I thought you were of the school of thought of just buy the thing and don't worry about it, hence your comment.? 

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

I thought you were of the school of thought of just buy the thing and don't worry about it, hence your comment.? 

I am and I’m not. My last 3.2 went pop, but then I bought another, albeit a 987. Then again the few 3.4’s I viewed gave me no confidence. I do think the “forget about it and drive it” is the best way though, otherwise constant paranoia could spoil the experience.

I think this topic was totally outlined In my previous comment..... Any car of any manufacture is a risk if you were to delve on any type of forum....enough said? Just buy wisely with knowledge and not expand on the what if !!....shyate happens!! 

6 hours ago, Pothole said:

I'm afraid the reality that the people who get snotty around here about this stuff simply don't know what they are talking about.

No one's getting "snotty", well apart from you, which seems to be the norm if anyone dares to disgree with you and ironical it's you who doesn't know what you're talking about. 

Crack on either way, no shiits given 👍

I think these debates are interesting and entertaining 😂

But I’ve learnt something new, that borescore is more common than ims failure even though neither are very common. The bit that concerns me is that you could buy a car and have it scoped and it’s fine only to develop bore score and the engine is still toast😩

I think it’s very encouraging that lots of members have had the 3.4 and had zero issues.

7 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

😂

I think it’s very encouraging that lots of members have had the 3.4 and had zero issues.

Interesting take. How many 987.1 3.4 owners do you think are active on this forum ? 

I ve got no idea but I bet admin could give a decent idea. I’ve met a few who have had them and had no issues and a friend of mine has got a 3.4 Cayman S at the moment. He is loving the car and had it inspected and was all fine🤞

50 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’ve learnt something new, that borescore is more common than ims failure even though neither are very common.

No, you've learned that one person claims that.

29 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Interesting take. How many 987.1 3.4 owners do you think are active on this forum ? 

I know @j0hn suffered with bore score on his first Cayman (the year before last as I recall). 

I can’t recall anyone else I know struck with this issue.  

15 hours ago, Nobbie said:

The only fact I know about borescore on the 3.4 Boxster is that if you type it in a thread three times then Pothole and Toplad instantly appear and start arguing. Yes, I do have data🤣

I have extensive experience in this particular field and can say 100% that Bunghole has argued with LOTS of members. Happy to post the numbers and data to prove without doubt that this is not just my opinion. ;)

12 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I have owned one 6 years and no problems so far.

13 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I think these debates are interesting and entertaining 😂

But I’ve learnt something new, that borescore is more common than ims failure even though neither are very common. The bit that concerns me is that you could buy a car and have it scoped and it’s fine only to develop bore score and the engine is still toast😩

🙋‍♂️

The only engines not to suffer from bore scoring are w*nkels, and they suffer from tip erosion.  A guy on Faceache has bore score on his 911.  He's been quoted anything up to £15k to fix it.   No excessive oil use, no loss of power, so I told him to just drive it.

Most problems are caused by a lack of mechanical sympathy. :)

On 5/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, Pothole said:

I'm afraid the reality that the people who get snotty around here about this stuff simply don't know what they are talking about.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, Pothole said:

That, is very unreasonable and frankly I'm being far more patient with you than you deserve given your hypocrisy.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:40 PM, Pothole said:

Just for a moment I thought you were going to be a reasonable human being. Clearly not.

Afraid, it's clear you;re both unreasonable and clueless. I tried, but you're just another clueless crank.

Only one person got snotty, then resorted to insults.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, Tony Daniel said:

I have owned one 6 years and no problems so far.

65K miles on mine and no issues. I thought long and hard before I bought mine. (and spent more time than is healthy googling  the various issues). You pays yer money and makes yer choice....

Archived