A hard drive?

flyingdoc93

Hello!

I was enjoying a rather spirited drive yesterday in my 987S. Flawless as always but the third day of hard driving in a row. Now I know people always say these cars need to be driven and are made to be revved (when warmed up etc of course) but where’s the line between pushing a things too hard and causing unnecessary wear and giving them the workout they need? 

Haha true! 

When you say say warm up, do you mean about 10 minutes of gentle driving and waiting until temp is up on the gauge to 80? 

Why is track work  so bad? 

The temp guage is just the water, not the oil which will take longer to get up to temp.  I would say wait for the water to get to 80 then 10 minutes from there.  Others may have a better approach though.

My attitude to Porsches and road cars are that the cars are much more capable than a none pro driver will ever be, subject to the condition of the car to start with you simply cannot abuse a porsche on the road, the exceptions being :

- not waming up properly (that includes tyres not just engine) c15 min see to that (as stated above ignore the water temp gauge, its the oil that matters, newer porsches show that)

- no overrevs - almost impossible on a PDK, and even with a manual with a rev limit they are hard to do, you can only really overrev with abuse eg on a fast downhill corner where the engine gets away from you and you mis a gear, engine momentum will bypass the rev limiter 

Sp go for it, Porsches can take it, its what they where made for 😉

ps if you donlt get brake fade and have to back off, your not trying hard enough lol When I've done a fast road run, in no matter what sports car, supercar or classic, the andrenaline is pumping, there is sweat and the car will just tick over saying is that all you've got !

Short of bending it round some part of the landscape more harm is done to these cars as a result of a lack of use than by any level of work you're likely to achieve on the road.

Oil temp (as others have said) is important - it has been suggested (AFAIR by well regarded Indie of this parish) to time the water temp to your car's normal and then wait a similar length of time for the oil to come up to temp.  

A personal thing is that I try to keep the car above 1500rpm until at least the water is up to temp - oil pressure is engine speed related and cold oil doesn't flow as freely as it does when it's warm.  Think crank bearings and related parts in particular.

Remember that the car needs to be moving to warm the gearbox properly too - I wait for the oil temp time to pass before getting enthusiastic.  

Track work ups the ante and does so in a shorter blasts meaning wear on a well maintained car will be accelerated.  All this means is brakes, tyres and arguably bushes/consumables being replaced a shorter mileage intervals than for a road only car.  A poorly maintained/damaged car won't really survive too many (if any) proper days of track driving.

Oil temp way more important on the turbo cars - including cool down !

Drive her hard, and service her to match...my philosophy to all cars.

In the 981 I tend to run out of clear road before I run out of revs. Not sure about the sweating bit - once you have the handling dialled into your style, then experience dials that away .

Enjoy the wailing N/A flat 6 - there is no sound like it ! 

feel the back end twitch out and drive it like ya stole it - and track days are fun!

Cheers all. Top advice as always. I think I’ve been a little premature at times then as sometimes I’ve only waited for water to heat up. 

I do always let her cool down though. Flat 6 noise rules! 

16 minutes ago, flyingdoc93 said:

I think I’ve been a little premature at times then as sometimes I’ve only waited for water to heat up. 

Don't worry about it. As long as your not bouncing the thing off the rev limiter when cold, you'll be fine. 

Cheers - gosh no! Only hit the limit once (was defs hot as well as on motorway for about an hour before) just too slow on change up so I understand this isn’t an issue as it’s the downshifts which cause the problem 

I think yours is a 987.1 3.4, so look into the risk of bore scoring.  From what I've read around - and not just from one person - it seems the main risk is on tracks, heating the engine/oil massively, having a certain cool-down period (I haven't bothered finding out what) then going for another blast, so the metal and oil are mismatched.

If I've understood correctly, and fair comment if I haven't, the risk of bore scoring is therefore near zero if not on track.

However this topic is more mythical than the IMS and more emotional than Brexit, so good luck trying to find a "definitive" answer :) 

Top chat as always thanks all.

yeah that rev limiter thing p*ssed me off because I should have spotted it on the way up but shouldn’t have done any harm.

Out of curiosity, what is the Rev limit? My gauge has red little marks coming in at 7k and they run to 8k where big red line. Is it at 8k or 7k that the limit happens? 

Haha gosh can of worms territory. Yeah my knowledge also not amazing on the scoring thing. Essentially I think there’s many factors which could lead to a high revs and stress but poor oil cooling and lubrications scenario (driving hard when cold, old oil, water in oil etc). In box the risk is extremely low anyway and my indie has never ever seen one. With mine I do annual oil change with Mobil as recommended and try and ensure she’s warm first. Decent gentle driving before shut down also makes sense to keep oil flowing around engine for cooling rather than blasting it and pulling keys out. I’m a pilot for a living and we would always warm an engine and run her after flight to cool down for these very reasons (turbo even more important but that’s another issue!). 

Do people from here ever meet up or is it the meets through the GB club? 

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

There is a Meets sub forum, have a look. Where are you in UK?

Nottingham according to his profile ;)

i take it you frequent tollerton @flyingdoc93

Nottingham indeed! I certainly do though not for my work flying! I do see some boxsters in there regularly.

Sorry to jump in on this chat but as a hopefully soon to be Boxster owner who lives in Nottingham I'd love to know if there is a local meet where I could meet up with a few Boxster owners and get further confirmation that buying one is the right thing to do.

I have looked in the Meets sub forum but didn't find anything for the East Midlands.

Many thanks.

Wolfbagger, better to put a new thread in Newbie Lounge. You can ask about East Midlands and also seek assistance/ several pairs of eyes in looking for your new car if you wish.

Archived