What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

1 hour ago, Nick_McUK said:

I will agree to disagree on this one. In my experience the finish you get with a rotary is far superior, in terms of finish and clarity.

A RUPES or FLEX DA/Forced Rotation will get you a good finish but no where near the clarity.

When I say clarity I mean the naked cleansed finish once all polishing sets are completed and the panels have had wipe downs with panel wipe to remove every trace of polishing oils and fillers that might be present.

Also there is no way you can burnish and jewel a finish with a DA....

If you are doing serious paint correction then rotary is the only tool to use...if its a quick enhancement then 100% you cant beat the speed of a RUPES for that.

As I say I do have both so I am not anti DA but they deffo finish down to the same finish :) 

I come on here to get away from detailing 😀

Disagree regarding your correction comment, the Rupes will still produce the same level of correction as a rotary, just progresses in a different way.

However your correct about a rotary being the only tool for jewelling a finish, but in the real world 95% of factory paints aren't worth that extra minimal percentage as they are poor in clarity due to orange peel etc.. unless it's a show car or wetsanded finish it's not worthwhile.

I've adapted my technique over the years using the DA, and am confident that it finishes down (jewelling apart) equally as well as my rotary did. This is based upon day in day out usage and panel to panel testing.

In my experience, most of the people that claim the finish from the DA isn't as good are the ones that are die hard rotary users and haven't spent the time adapting, thus written it off as inferior.

Anyhow this is probably boring the other members to death, so like you say, will have to agree to disagree 🙂

Edited by detail1

28 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Nice field !  Car's not bad either. Are those Gen 2 wheels?

😀Thanks !  (Atlas Grey - the variable colour which keeps giving in variable lights)

The alloys are 987 Gen1, option code 408 Boxster S II 18" wheels 

Car was spec'd by original owner with some S upgrades (wheels, steering wheel, twin pipes)

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

(Atlas Grey - the variable colour which keeps giving in variable lights)

The alloys are 987 Gen1, option code 408 Boxster S II 18" wheels 

Car was spec'd by original owner with some S upgrades (wheels, steering wheel, twin pipes)

Best colour! I love the way the colour changes in sunshine. Interesting re wheels - I've got Boxster S wheels which are slightly different. Had a quick Google and yours look like Cayman S II's. No big deal anyway. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Best colour! I love the way the colour changes in sunshine. Interesting re wheels - I've got Boxster S wheels which are slightly different. Had a quick Google and yours look like Cayman S II's. No big deal anyway. 

Interesting re wheels, explains why I haven't seen another one with "the look" and why the wheels are in good shape.

Option Code 409, Cayman S II's maybe the match. 

Thanks for digging on that - always interesting to dig into provenance history !

Removed the offside front track rod end, cleaned up the thread and tried to get the ns off. Drew blood and gave up. Going to have to cut it off so ordered two new ones.

Looked at the previous post about uploading photos and my free Flickr account is full so I couldn't. Spent an hour or so deleting them and checked randomly and I now have 987 !!

So leaving it at that for now as it must be a good omen on the 13th.

Heres a link to some of the older photos that might interest given some of the previous jobs people have been doing.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/9836922@N07/d01971

15842020453869079088250321549541.jpg.87579760895299e71dac7091a8521ca9.jpgUnderseat subwoofer fitted today. Have also changed out the mids for a set of Jblgx302s and replaced a blown door woofer with an original ASK one from Ebay. So after fitting the head unit, speakers in the doors and now the underseat sub it sounds pretty respectable. Got DAB, FM etc, CD/DVD, Bluetooth phone, USB and streaming music 😀

Edited by Del_tl1000r

Finished my very amateur detailing having spent the last few evenings and today doing a paint correction. Clay bar, decontamination, cut, glaze and wax.  I don't have the confidence to go too far in terms of defect removal but happy that swirls are minimises and only a few defects remain.

Sorry for the bad picture but I am not bringing it out into the rain.......

In fact, I am not sure I now want to drive it, don't want to make it dirty!

20200315_112754