What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

On 10/2/2020 at 2:36 PM, MickH said:

Got her lowered on H&R Springs with full alignment done :)

The garage said its one of the best boxsters they have seen underneath.  Which made me very happy

What garage did you go to?

1 hour ago, MickH said:

Automek. Wouldn't go anywhere else

First I've heard if them. The reason I ask is I've recently had my car in at George Morrisons and I'm not that enamored with him. I have slight play in my front near side wheel bearing and will need the wheel alignment checked. Might give them a shout if you recommend them

18 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

First I've heard if them. The reason I ask is I've recently had my car in at George Morrisons and I'm not that enamored with him. I have slight play in my front near side wheel bearing and will need the wheel alignment checked. Might give them a shout if you recommend them

They are in EK luckily. Id use them even if they were further away. They have an amazing reputation. 

The guy that worked on mine is an ex opc mechanic.  So they know the cars well. 

3 minutes ago, MickH said:

They are in EK luckily. Id use them even if they were further away. They have an amazing reputation. 

The guy that worked on mine is an ex opc mechanic.  So they know the cars well. 

Excellent👍👍 I'll pay them a visit then. Thanks for that.

1 hour ago, Camels said:

Hiya - where did you get the discs from if you don't mind me asking?

A forum member who no longer required them but they are available on fleebay I think and other sites.Do a search on here for more information..satnavishop was one iirc.

2 hours ago, Liberty said:

A forum member who no longer required them but they are available on fleebay I think and other sites.Do a search on here for more information..satnavishop was one iirc.

Thanks - will do.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, Del_tl1000r said:

you should try Motortune, Shotts

peter is an OPC, and believe me there is nothing he doesn't know about Porsches - they even come from Aberdeen for his services 

Covering the last few days rather than just today, so:

- clocked past 30k miles with recent driving

- did 400 or so mile round trip to get Revolution exhaust mod done 👍

- replaced the interior door handles with some good as new ones from eBay

- spent more money I didn't need to on a nice Porsche branded oil top up case, and a Porsche petrol can for the long trip (just in case), but need to get some sticky velcro to keep it in place like the oil instead of sliding all over the place

- got a rechargeable tracker and spent a while setting it up

Think now it is the point where my next excuses for going to the car involve just getting in straight away & enjoying rather than finding something to tinker with first 😁.

4 minutes ago, Babaa said:

Covering the last few days rather than just today, so:

- clocked past 30k miles with recent driving

- did 400 or so mile round trip to get Revolution exhaust mod done 👍

- replaced the interior door handles with some good as new ones from eBay

- spent more money I didn't need to on a nice Porsche branded oil top up case, and a Porsche petrol can for the long trip (just in case), but need to get some sticky velcro to keep it in place like the oil instead of sliding all over the place

- got a rechargeable tracker and spent a while setting it up

Think now it is the point where my next excuses for going to the car involve just getting in straight away & enjoying rather than finding something to tinker with first 😁.

Oh - almost forgot, also noticed some steering wobble a few days ago, but luckily was just a £25 fix for wheel balancing 👍.

Downside though was he said that the fronts didn't really have that much longer to go, and as when I switch it will probably be for a totally different tyre than it has all round at the moment, think I'd prefer to swap all 4 instead of just the fronts, so sounds like a £750-£850 job to budget for soon if I go for Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S as planned 😟.

New brakes all round !!

IMG-8797.jpg

A nice job to do - only issue was whoever put the little screws in the front brake discs last appears to have thought they needed to be beyond 'FT'...

Edited by beaks

44 minutes ago, beaks said:

New brakes all round !!

IMG-8797.jpg

A nice job to do - only issue was whoever put the little screws in the front brake discs last appears to have thought they needed to be beyond 'FT'...

These are often corroded into place or at least the head burrs out in many cars and to double the problem Porsche use 2 screws.....  They do go through a lot of heat cycles and often have a dab of thread lock on them.  Try tightening first before slackening and if it burrs out, drill through with a 4mm drill and you should be able to clear the remaining threads out OK (often turn out with the drill bit I find) and, if you have one, run through with an M6 tap.  Any decent replacement disc should come with replacement screws.

59 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

These are often corroded into place or at least the head burrs out in many cars and to double the problem Porsche use 2 screws.....  They do go through a lot of heat cycles and often have a dab of thread lock on them.  Try tightening first before slackening and if it burrs out, drill through with a 4mm drill and you should be able to clear the remaining threads out OK (often turn out with the drill bit I find) and, if you have one, run through with an M6 tap.  Any decent replacement disc should come with replacement screws.

used an impact screwdriver to get the jokers out chap - when I went to use my screwdriver if was one of those 'danger danger' moments so common sense prevailed on this occasion!

cheers for the tips though!