What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

I wondered why my coolant alarm suddenly went off the other day

IMG-2035.jpg

Front lower left coolant pipe.  Always seems to be first to go.  All the others looked fine so just replaced that one £30 plus some coolant rather than the OPC method of lowering the front subframe and replacing all the front pipes.  

On 10/17/2020 at 8:55 PM, bally4563 said:

Get a Spyder Performance from Eporsche, quite loud and very loud....Inffectious!!

Thinking about it 😎 Major service inc brake fluid, plugs and suspension bits first. Oh and millers in the box. My car used to be serviced at eporsche. Previous owner wasn't such a skinflint he would've done it already 😏

Edited by JonSta

MOT passed no advisory 👏👏 oil and  filter change carried out filter nice and clean 👏👏👏 front wheels hunter road force balanced what a difference 👏👏👏👏  Two week lockdown from Friday annoying but has to be done 😤😤 so lockdown 2 car jobs to do ?🤪

4 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

Good luck Davey.

Cheers mate - Always slightly nerve racking, but it has passed with no advisories anyway :thumbsup_anim:  Garage owner said it's in great condition for a 13 year old car, so that was reassuring.

1 hour ago, kevin450 said:

MOT passed no advisory 👏👏 oil and  filter change carried out filter nice and clean 

Nice one.  I did exactly the same today, except I got the garage to change the oil and filter for me :P

• Like 1

Just now, Davey P said:

Cheers mate - Always slightly nerve racking, but it has passed with no advisories anyway :thumbsup_anim:  Garage owner said it's in great condition for a 13 year old car, so that was reassuring.

Nice, one less thing to worry about. It should be good underneath most of it was rebuilt last year lol.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

🤣 Sorry could not help myself.....glad it passed though always hate the anticipation at MOT time.  

To be fair, I wasn't expecting it to fail, but of course you never know.... And as we all know so well, the Porsche tax can soon mount up if any work is needed (The cost of the oil change was bad enough! :lol:)

5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

To be fair, I wasn't expecting it to fail, but of course you never know.... And as we all know so well, the Porsche tax can soon mount up if any work is needed (The cost of the oil change was bad enough! :lol:)

Good news on the pass 👍

No one likes open wallet surgery.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, andy340r said:

I wondered why my coolant alarm suddenly went off the other day

IMG-2035.jpg

Front lower left coolant pipe.  Always seems to be first to go.  All the others looked fine so just replaced that one £30 plus some coolant rather than the OPC method of lowering the front subframe and replacing all the front pipes.  

Mine aren’t leaking yet but it’s only a matter of time . Was it hard to do with our dripping subframe ?? 

11 minutes ago, Def1 said:

Mine aren’t leaking yet but it’s only a matter of time . Was it hard to do with our dripping subframe ?? 

Surprising easy to do just those front pipes.  I jacked up the front of the car so that I didn't drain too much of the coolant.  Take out the wheel arch liner and the bumper support and then you can get to both ends of the pipe.  There are clips which hold the pipe in place.  I released the radiator end first and let the coolant drain into a bucket.  The cross-over pipe end put up a bit of a fight as it was rusted in but it came away.  I used fresh Porsche coolant to replenish the system and ran through the bled procedure set out in the 101 Projects book.  Took a couple of hours including bleeding the system.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony Daniel said:

You were so very lucky, they don't often come apart then its drop the front sub-frame time.

At least that's one thing that was easy then.  I've still not managed to get the drop links out!  I replaced the front and rear tuning forks and tried to get the links out so that I could coppaslip them.  Not budging.  The nuts came off but the buggers are corroded in to the hubs.  Impact gun, breaker bar, hammer.  Nothing.  Not looking forward to needing to get them out in the future.

17 minutes ago, andy340r said:

At least that's one thing that was easy then.  I've still not managed to get the drop links out!  I replaced the front and rear tuning forks and tried to get the links out so that I could coppaslip them.  Not budging.  The nuts came off but the buggers are corroded in to the hubs.  Impact gun, breaker bar, hammer.  Nothing.  Not looking forward to needing to get them out in the future.

I had ago at mine and gave up, my local garage managed them in less than an hour with a bit of heat

3 hours ago, andy340r said:

These are notorious.  Just done the front suspension on my 986 and one too a magnetic induction coil (£170) to get heat into the rod (after cutting off the ball joint so you have the hex to work with with a breaker bar and impact wrench) so that it broke down the corrosion enough to turn it.  Once out and the hole was cleaned out of residue, the new ones have gone in with lots of assembly paste!

To give you an idea when I got the strut off the car I wedged it against a concrete step and even an 14lb sledge swung pretty vigorously had no effect.  I left the nut on to protect the tread and give a bigger target.

I've got the rears to do next weekend...

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

These are notorious.  Just done the front suspension on my 986 and one too a magnetic induction coil (£170) to get heat into the rod (after cutting off the ball joint so you have the hex to work with with a breaker bar and impact wrench) so that it broke down the corrosion enough to turn it.  Once out and the hole was cleaned out of residue, the new ones have gone in with lots of assembly paste!

To give you an idea when I got the strut off the car I wedged it against a concrete step and even an 14lb sledge swung pretty vigorously had no effect.  I left the nut on to protect the tread and give a bigger target.

I've got the rears to do next weekend...

I was thinking of trying an induction coil as it is much more localised heat.  Which one did you get?

While I do enjoy taking things apart, I think I'm going to leave them until they really need to come out.  Once you start cutting there's no going back.

5 hours ago, andy340r said:

I was thinking of trying an induction coil as it is much more localised heat.  Which one did you get?

While I do enjoy taking things apart, I think I'm going to leave them until they really need to come out.  Once you start cutting there's no going back.

This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solary-Magnetic-Induction-ToolFor-Flameless/dp/B08DKPRJ8X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3SI5HG8YJB7H6&dchild=1&keywords=magnetic+induction+heater&qid=1603202620&sprefix=magnetic+indu%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFLUk5YSEgyVEFFTjImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwNjY1NzAyQjNRS0NOTExVUVFHJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NjUwNjQzODFXTVIyVlE3QVU5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

A drop link is only about £20 for a decent after market one....

Seemingly common problem of soft top overlapping trim and thereby not sitting correctly. Seen previous posts on here and looked at YouTube stuff. First look inside hood indicates old elastic is in tatters so will need to remove torx screws and start from scratch. Into lockdown here in Wales from Friday so no excuse not to get it done, weather permitting.