What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

52 minutes ago, MickH said:

HAHAHA!!!  I knew you would get a bike, last time we were on the road bikes I could tell its was going to happen, even though you didn't think so.
That looks lovely Del!

PS not seen much from you on Strava again!

I know mate. Been a bit preoccupied looking for a bike and it's too 🔥🔥. I don't particularly like cycling in this weather 

1 minute ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I know mate. Been a bit preoccupied looking for a bike and it's too 🔥🔥. I don't particularly like cycling in this weather 

Went out at 8 the other night, conditions were perfect.  Nae excuses!

well Thursday - I used the jig that @bally4563 rented out - all I can say is its amazing, and if I hadnt been an impatient tool - it would have been perfect. Rent the tool and wait is my humbled and lesson learned advice!

As it is I *think I am going to helicoil it....

Its a looser than the others, I didnt foobar, not as in I think it will pull out but you can feel its slacker and the female thread is not super clean - but I guess I should find out what the torque settings are and try and see if a stud pulls out?
edit > 17ft lbs or 23 nm so not massive tight actually

What would you do? 
I have some 8 x 1.25 x 2d [which means 16mm long inserts] and the install kit - its reamed out to 8.3 so I think there is enough meat to do so.... ?

Edited by Dubdubz
found torque figures

Carefully run an M8 x 1.25 tap into the hole and see if it cleans it up a bit more.  If you helicoil, your ae effectively tapping and M10x x1.25 thread into the old hole and the wire insert beings it back to M8x 1.25.  Check in one of the other holes if it is 16mm deep otherwise you may not be able to break off the inserting tang or wind it deep enough with the inserting tool and end up with the wire coil sitting proud of the hole.  The manifold bolts are M8 x 26mm and allow for the manifold flange and the gasket depth.  You may need to get a 1.5D or even 1 D insert as it is a blind hole, or is you a very careful you could cut a  2D insert down.  Remember you can't measure the length of a coil before fitting it as they wind in they become longer so a 2d will measure shorter than 16mm.

Threadlock is an option but make sure it is a high temp one.

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Threadlock?

I did think that actually and was my first thought - I have some that is supposed to be high temp - loctite 272

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Carefully run an M8 x 1.25 tap into the hole and see if it cleans it up a bit more.  If you helicoil, your ae effectively tapping and M10x x1.25 thread into the old hole and the wire insert beings it back to M8x 1.25.  Check in one of the other holes if it is 16mm deep otherwise you may not be able to break off the inserting tang or wind it deep enough with the inserting tool and end up with the wire coil sitting proud of the hole.  The manifold bolts are M8 x 26mm and allow for the manifold flange and the gasket depth.  You may need to get a 1.5D or even 1 D insert as it is a blind hole, or is you a very careful you could cut a  2D insert down.  Remember you can't measure the length of a coil before fitting it as they wind in they become longer so a 2d will measure shorter than 16mm.

Threadlock is an option but make sure it is a high temp one.

I also have some 1.5 and some 1D ones too 🙂 - the drill bit is an 8.3mm and the tap then takes out some from that - so I would say the lower female thread ridge if you could measure across would be 8.5 or thereabouts?
I did also think about timesert instead but I seem to recall that the helicoil would cope better in this situation ...but the info I cannor find now.

@bally4563 I have your sales slogan - "Rent the tool dont be the tool"....
You're welcome 🙂

Edited by Dubdubz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

I did think that actually and was my first thought - I have some that is supposed to be high temp forget - loctite 272

I also have some 1.5 and some 1D ones too 🙂 - the drill bit is an 8.3mm and the tap then takes out some from that - so I would say the lower female thread ridge if you could measure across would be 8.5 or thereabouts?
I did also think about timesert instead but I seem to recall that the helicoil would cope better in this situation ...but the info I cannor find now.

You're welcome 🙂

To properly do a timesert it needs a countersunk rim to the hole to set it to the correct depth which could be tricky working from underneath an engine.  A Keensert is another option as this doesn't need the countersunk rim.  A helicoil should be fine and forms to the cut thread and the bolt thread as the wire can flex slightly to suit the threads more so than a timesert or even normal tapped hole; a Cosworth DFV is put together with them in many places.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

I did think that actually and was my first thought - I have some that is supposed to be high temp - loctite 272

You're welcome 🙂

Taken!!

15 hours ago, Freeman said:

Not today but last Sat.

Gear box down for rebuilt and as it is away let do full service, check this and that, oh, by the way "What IMS do I have there?"

Unless it is a very early 987, then the type the needs the crank case to be split to replace... (or e very expensive machining in place operation)  What's your engine number?  Check it against the number ranges below:

1k1vbNU.jpg 

I was under the impression that the larger bearing didn't give problems.

I had my transmission out a year ago to sort what I thought was the RMS but it was the IMS seals which were leaking.

The bearing looked and felt good so just did the seals and no oil leaks now.

• Like 1

We're off to Wales tomorrow morning so I drove it from it's parking space in Shad Thames to somewhere close to our place so we can leave nice and early.
Why is this worthy of a mention, I hear you ask. Well normally when the car sits for over a week and a half, it requires a jump start. The last time I drove it was 5 weeks ago when I ragged it up Prescott Hillclimb circuit. I've been away on business for several weeks and was shocked beyond belief when it put the key in and the windows didn't drop down and all the gauges didn't go nuts and it started first turn of the key. Not only that, it did that awesome burst into life within a fraction of a second. I guess the hot weather suits it.

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Unless it is a very early 987, then the type the needs the crank case to be split to replace... (or e very expensive machining in place operation)  What's your engine number?  Check it against the number ranges below:

1k1vbNU.jpg 

It was first registered in May 2005 so this should have the larger internal bearing (don't have the engine number with me) but it is always better to have visual confirmation. 

2 hours ago, Freeman said:

It was first registered in May 2005 so this should have the larger internal bearing (don't have the engine number with me) but it is always better to have visual confirmation. 

Highly unlikely to have a smaller bearing then.  No one has yet come up with an engine number to contradict this Porsche data.

took mine for MOT after doing the oil and plugs, its been stored, but started regularly for the last 18 months.

started spluttering on the way to the MOT, even with fresh fuel, and thought i mustnt have done something up properly reinstalling the plugs. Engine warning light on, and its a fault of cylinder no.4

new coil packs ordered.

spotted oil on the intake pipe, new AOS ordered.

got rust on the brake lines, new braided hoses ordered, and i'll pop the covers off to look at the rest.

and then, the mot tester pointed out a leaking coolant pipe on the offside. That wasnt leaking when it was up on the ramps. Trying to bring myself to book it in to have the crossover pipes done... with my wifes 40th next week, and no hoiday booked for the kids for the second year in a row....