What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

8 hours ago, AndyM001 said:

Not today, but yesterday I cleaned the roof and then treated it with 2 coats of Fabsil Gold, seems to have done the trick.

Roof.jpg

Looks pretty. Watch your neck getting in and out of the car. Ask me how I know ;) 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 10:38 PM, Dubdubz said:

Cruise control module fitted with all bolts and cabled.

that  no worky 😞 

But the car is back in one large part as opposed to many many bits - which is good. 

• Like 1

Drove 30 miles to Precision Porsche to be there when the doors opened at 8am. Today they're replacing the exhaust end to end, doing a full service on the car, fitting a GT3 master brake cylinder, replacing a door mirror lens and mounting my rear number plate using the Porsche Classic mount. Also conducting an MOT. Various sundries added eg. replace all eight bleed nipples on the brakes. Costing a pretty penny but I'm so looking forward to picking it up in the morning with everything tip-top & Bristol fashion. These are great cars.

27 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Drove 30 miles to Precision Porsche to be there when the doors opened at 8am. Today they're replacing the exhaust end to end, doing a full service on the car, fitting a GT3 master brake cylinder, replacing a door mirror lens and mounting my rear number plate using the Porsche Classic mount. Also conducting an MOT. Various sundries added eg. replace all eight bleed nipples on the brakes. Costing a pretty penny but I'm so looking forward to picking it up in the morning with everything tip-top & Bristol fashion. These are great cars.

Wow, my wallet is cringing in sympathy!  Its only money, enjoy it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Ask them to fit braided hoses at the same time while the brakes are apart. 

Too late. All work done. I collect at 8am. I wish I'd known that was worthwhile. My bad for not sharing sooner. Thanks anyway.

Listed mine for sale…. 😬

on a more positive note - this has been BY FAR the friendliest, most helpful, funniest and genuinely most pleasant to be around Porsche forum the i’ve ever been part of in my 18-ish years of owning and lifelong obsession.

good news is i’m not going far - & will doubtless see some of you guys over ob rennlist/PH etc.

nice one guys - thanks for all the help 👍🏻

• Like 5

So, the new exhaust has given my car a sore throat, definitely a more aggressive sound. I actually prefer the quieter original, but not enough to spend 5.6K to replace it.

The GT3 master cylinder feels like a complete waste of money, I feel no difference to pedal feel. The car stopped well with the original and it still does. Not quite sure why I thought it would feel more progressive.

Precision Porsche will continue to get my custom. Very good feeling that they know what they're doing with Porsche, but running one of these cars doesn't come cheap for those of us without spannering skills.

Mine has the sports cat manifolds to the original system and sounds lovely especially on first start up and accelerating through the gears just love it.

As a fully qualified mechanic and been lucky to work for some good brands around the World it's meant I can run the cars I want too but on the other hand I pay professionals to sort my house out so it's horses for courses really.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McDonald said:

So, the new exhaust has given my car a sore throat, definitely a more aggressive sound. I actually prefer the quieter original, but not enough to spend 5.6K to replace it.

It will get better with use.
I recently got the Carnewal GT conversion and immediately got buyers remorse because it sounded too aggressive. Luckily I drove to Belgium to have the work done which meant that I added 1000 miles on it on the way home and it now sounds sweet as a nut.

Stick with it before you make a decision.

Edited by eob

6 hours ago, eob said:

It will get better with use.
I recently got the Carnewal GT conversion and immediately got buyers remorse because it sounded too aggressive. Luckily I drove to Belgium to have the work done which meant that I added 1000 miles on it on the way home and it now sounds sweet as a nut.

Stick with it before you make a decision.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

I don't have a decision to make, it's on the car - I'm committed. I was never going to spend £5.6 K on a Porsche part.

I suspect that most people would prefer the new, throatier sound. I've always preferred quiet, with the engine only roaring when really pressed. I'll get used to the new normal.

Most importantly, the old exhaust and all its elderly fittings are now renewed so the car should go for many more years and miles without expense in that department. 

It's always a great ride.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fewtrees said:

This evening I replaced the MAF so now it drives smoothly and feels a little more responsive. Wonder if the mileage will improve 🤷‍♂️

So I was right then Rob and not coil packs

On 7/18/2023 at 4:45 PM, McDonald said:

The GT3 master cylinder feels like a complete waste of money, I feel no difference to pedal feel. The car stopped well with the original and it still does. Not quite sure why I thought it would feel more progressive.

Precision Porsche will continue to get my custom. Very good feeling that they know what they're doing with Porsche, but running one of these cars doesn't come cheap for those of us without spannering skills.

GT3 Master cylinder is not about progression, it just takes the spongy brake pedal feel that came along with the 987

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

GT3 Master cylinder is not about progression, it just takes the spongy brake pedal feel that came along with the 987

And as a footnote if it still feels the same it’s not been bled correctly 

19 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

And as a footnote if it still feels the same it’s not been bled correctly 

And if you want even less sponginess fit braided (Goodridge) hoses in place of the factory flexi hoses.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

So I was right then Rob and not coil packs

Yup and gotta say it’s a complete bu**er to get out. I did disconnect the battery for a few mins as I heard it resets the maf parameters.. not sure though..

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

And if you want even less sponginess fit braided (Goodridge) hoses in place of the factory flexi hoses.

That’s helps even without the master cylinder change. It did mine..

7 hours ago, fewtrees said:

That’s helps even without the master cylinder change. It did mine..

Very true, I didn't do the m/cyl on my 986 and it is notably more positive.

8 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I don't feel that my brakes on my 3.2 S are spongy at all but very good indeed.