Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Too wet to take out for test drive. 

Did the  owner live in the ocean? What made it too wet? Is it a garage Queen? 😒 If the paint looked rubbish in the rain, it's probably good to stay clear!?

I felt it was too wet to do anything more than cruise around. I've just crashed one in the wet and pushing a car to see if I can get the kick I need was not possible. 

The car was inside and paint not rubbish but had a lot of minor stone chips. 

32 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

The car was inside and paint not rubbish but had a lot of minor stone chips. 

I'm not sure stonechips would concern me too much unless it was properly peppered with them (like my old car after I'd had it a few months). Unless you respray the front and sides (the 987 is way worse than a 986 for chipped sides) every few years, they are somewhat inevitable 

• 2 weeks later...

Well we got to 13 pages.

Just to wrap this up the insurance company has paid out. A pitiful amount. Their argument was there were repeat advisories on the MOT that had not been addressed which to them was a clear sign the car was not being maintained properly. As such they classed the car as below standard and would not match market value.

I did push the offer up twice before I hit a stone wall and then the money was miraculously in my account. The final offer was a fraction under what I paid for her and then they take the £500 excess off.

I've asked around and no one has ever heard of this before but with MOT data now be readily available we may see more of this.

The kids and the wife have given me their revised Christmas wish list which I have duly filled in the big green filing cabinet round the side of the house.

The hunt is on for a replacement Boxster. Lets see how many post that thread gets to.

37 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Just to wrap this up the insurance company has paid out. A pitiful amount. Their argument was there were repeat advisories on the MOT that had not been addressed which to them was a clear sign the car was not being maintained properly. As such they classed the car as below standard. 

Brake pipes by any chance.? 

54 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

The final offer was a fraction under what I paid for her and then they take the £500 excess off.

To my mind that is a good result. Your excess is your excess and was always going to be deducted. The fact that they paid out pretty much what you paid for the car is a result surely?

6 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

To my mind that is a good result. Your excess is your excess and was always going to be deducted. The fact that they paid out pretty much what you paid for the car is a result surely?

Maybe he means fraction of, hence pitiful.? 

Glad to hear you're sorted. 

The MOT aspect is interesting as we have all seen many advertised cars getting their MOT histories posted on here with the predictable commentary. 

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the insurance companies started applying the same levels of interest. 

4 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

You would need an approved value policy to take that into account.

Most insurance companies are open to covering new parts etc. Providing you have the receipts to substantiate your claim. 

Archived