Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

Help me decide

As some of you may have heard I spun my 986 Boxster in to the central reservation of a dual carriageway yesterday, A5076. It was a low speed impact and no one else was involved.

I have been informed by Admiral I don't need to make a claim and could get my car back from the recovery company and arrange to have it repaired myself, i.e Lee at CPS.

I have spoken to Lee and have sent him some pictures. I hope to speak to him again regarding possible cost but have a number to work with for now.

Option One

I let the insurance company write the car off, value £5K, excess £500. I get £4.5K and use that towards another Boxster, @fat haggis for example and I have a £5K bill.

Option Two

I get the car back and ship it to Lee at CPS, cost £300. They repair at cost of £1.5K. It needs other work at cost of £1K, tyres etc and I have a £2.8K bill.

What would you do.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the accident. The current theory is the engine mounts failed. I was coming out of a roundabout which is like an S bend. I took my foot of the clutch at the wrong point which caused the engine to move and sent me in to a tank slapper. One of the advisories at my last service was to keep an eye on my engine mounts.

I’m not certain about your maths.

buying a £5k replacement car is going to cost £500 after insurance payout.

other route of fixing up your damaged car is nearly £3k.

seems logical to start with a non crashed £5k car and have your £2k ish in reserve to titivate as desired. 

just my 2 pentheth

I would scrap it too. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago that got me out of my 986 and into a 987.

The insurance company made me a low offer, I asked them to consider more, they said how much, I said £10k, I got £10k much to my surprise and delight!!

You never know......it maybe worth having a similar conversation with Admiral.

Good luck!

Personally I'd always feel a bit dodgy getting in the car after it's been repaired as it can't have been a particularly pleasant experience.

I'd speak to Admiral and ask for more cash.  As my mother always says 'You don't get, if you don't ask'!  I'd take the cash, maybe add some more if possible and upgrade 🙂

Darkstar sorry to hear if your predicament, I have a question for you if you don’t mind.

Do you have an agreed value with Admiral?

if so what did you have to do to get it?

i have a 1999 2.7 which I have spent a lot on but don’t currently  have an agreed value and may consider Admiral at renewal
Good luck whichever way you go.

Dave

Is Sam's car newer, lower mileage etc?

Always refuse the first offer from insurers, do some research into replacement costs for similar cars and argue for more.

Personally I would be tempted to go for Sam's if its an upgrade.

Firstly sorry to hear this Colin 

b.t.w your old car is running like a champ.

now back to the issue, do you really need my take on the matter??

i vote break it, if I can do it you can. After a lot of negative feedback about breaking my first 2.5 with a shot engine im almost up to 5k now. 
Let me know what you decide to do, furthermore glad your ok

regards

geoff

Having actually read your predicament correctly I would probably take a hit on the ins and start a fresh

4 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Darkstar sorry to hear if your predicament, I have a question for you if you don’t mind.

Do you have an agreed value with Admiral?

if so what did you have to do to get it?

i have a 1999 2.7 which I have spent a lot on but don’t currently  have an agreed value and may consider Admiral at renewal
Good luck whichever way you go.

Dave

No agreed value, I have just looked at autotrader for the three closets cars to mine and they were £4994, £4995 and £5355 and guestimated Admiral will offer £5K.

1 minute ago, Scubaregs said:

Bet Admiral offer around £3k first offer.

Do you have the time/space/skills to break it?

I expect Admiral will offer low at first which is why I looked on Autotrader.

No I don't have the skills or inclination to break it myself and my sons are too young to help or it could have been a good learning exercise. I don't think they want to see there dad swearing and blinding then rushing to the local A&E to get something sawn back on every other weekend.

15 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Is Sam's car newer, lower mileage etc?

Always refuse the first offer from insurers, do some research into replacement costs for similar cars and argue for more.

Personally I would be tempted to go for Sam's if its an upgrade.

I though @fat haggis car was a considerable upgrade unless there is a little secret you want to tell me about it.

It has 6 cylinders with is a good start.

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I suggest you upgrade and sell the old one to GeoffJackson who will break it and make three grand.

Everyone's a winner.

Oh dear

not again once was enough for me. If however breaking is an option I would deffo consider, obviously I don’t understand the dynamics of colins predicament I.e use of another car. Space, time and skill set of course.

fingers crossed however he ends up on top as it’s always a tricky situation 

Shame about your mishap.

I would think the popular forum choice would be to scrap it - thereby reducing Boxster numbers by one unit and increasing rarity factor of those remaining;). Added bonus of more spares available;).

Hope the final outcome is satisfactory to you:).

18 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I though @fat haggis car was a considerable upgrade unless there is a little secret you want to tell me about it.

It has 6 cylinders with is a good start.

Also, engine mounts that aren't under an advisory, win/win. 😉

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

I’m not certain about your maths.

buying a £5k replacement car is going to cost £500 after insurance payout.

other route of fixing up your damaged car is nearly £3k.

seems logical to start with a non crashed £5k car and have your £2k ish in reserve to titivate as desired. 

just my 2 pentheth

200.webp

@Darkstar, have Admiral already offered you £5k?

Archived