Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go ...waiting for it .... Four points  of contact gang!!

Ive seen an Elephant on ice and it's personal preference was hard skin and not branded!!

As mentioned in any situation regardless of what the black stuff or hard skin you choose, loud /heavy right foot generally  dictates, potentially!!

21 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Apparently winter tyres have a shorter lifespan then summers due to the compound used. Could well be b*ll*x though. 

No, you are about correct, however the real wear happens when used in warmer conditions as opposed to their design conditions. Always a trade off between grip and wear unless you are a very clever Michelin tyre designer.

I drove a lot in Norway last winter and they make a huge difference to snow and cold weather driving but you still need to respect the conditions.

So I still don't know if I will be able to afford to repair her as I don't know the full extent of the damage. 

Starting to think the easy option will be just to scrap her and move on. The waking up in the middle of the night worrying about it all is not getting any better. 

7 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

So I still don't know if I will be able to afford to repair her as I don't know the full extent of the damage. 

Starting to think the easy option will be just to scrap her and move on. The waking up in the middle of the night worrying about it all is not getting any better. 

You've answered your own question there mate, just take the money and move on to something else (easy for me to say, I know).

Good luck whatever you decide anyway :thumbsup_still:

55 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Did you establish whether you have the option to take the money AND keep the car?

Cheers, Baggers.

10 hours ago, bagss2 said:

Did you establish whether you have the option to take the money AND keep the car?

Cheers, Baggers.

As i said I can't find out anything with out starting the claim process and once I start there is no going back. 

There were two cars for sale on this forum that had caught my eye and could have twisted my arm to scrap mine and buy one of them. Unfortunately for me they are both now sold. 

Is anyone who has been in my position willing to share their insurance offer details. That is buy back price. 

Anyone insured a Cat car. 

Just walk away mate, take the money and move onto something else.  You will never be happy with your car after it's been repaired, and I suspect you already know that.

Three years ago I had an accident in a Ford Focus (totally my fault) and the insurance company decided to repair it instead of writing it off.  Damage was all along one side where I got swiped by a BMW i3 ("I didn't hear it coming Officer..." :lol:) so only panel damage, nothing too major, and the car still drove fine.  As soon as it was repaired, literally within a few days, it was out the door, P/X'ed against a mint condition VW Beetle.  Ironically the garage that did the P/X was next door to the body shop that repaired the Focus :whistle1:

My point here is, even if the repair is done perfectly, YOU will still know it's there and it will never feel the same again.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, ½cwt said:

No, you are about correct, however the real wear happens when used in warmer conditions as opposed to their design conditions. Always a trade off between grip and wear unless you are a very clever Michelin tyre designer.

I drove a lot in Norway last winter and they make a huge difference to snow and cold weather driving but you still need to respect the conditions.

should be correct and certainly what I expected, but the Cayenne has been on winters throughout the whole year and honestly they dont seem to have worn as fast as  the summers I previoulsy had on, the winters on the 981 come off in warmer weather and seem to wear at the same rate as summers in summer...

Although I think it is a huge waste to scrap a car for seemingly minor damage, if I was in your shoes, I think I might use this as an opportunity to cut my losses and refill my bank account. 

Is this your main car or just a weekend toy? If the former, I'd definitely cash out at this stage

2 hours ago, Darkstar said:

Is anyone who has been in my position willing to share their insurance offer details. That is buy back price. 

Anyone insured a Cat car. 

I insured a cat car it got into an aquaplane spin from which it was never to recover. 

imsurance were very reasonable. They offered me an amount £1000 more than I’d paid for the car 18 months previously. 
That stated they’d deducted 20% of the actual value for the Cat D. 

I think the buy back option was £1100 which didn’t make sense for me having no garage. And no appetite for dismantling. I was most gutted to leave a recently fitted short shifter in the car. Fvcking gutted actually. But I can’t balk at the value which I though was spot on. I bought a zenith replacement which came recommended from a friend who’d considered it last time it was up for sale. Once I’d had the alignment sorted, it was nice enough to drive. 

11 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Although I think it is a huge waste to scrap a car for seemingly minor damage, if I was in your shoes, I think I might use this as an opportunity to cut my losses and refill my bank account. 

Is this your main car or just a weekend toy? If the former, I'd definitely cash out at this stage

She is technically a weekend toy but I do regularly commute in her weather permitting.

I think my problem is I have paid extra to get her moved to a garage to see if they can repair her within my budget and want to give them a chance to look at her and give me their feedback before I make a decision I can't change. However it is taking longer than I anticipated.

8 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

She is technically a weekend toy but I do regularly commute in her weather permitting.

I think my problem is I have paid extra to get her moved to a garage to see if they can repair her within my budget and want to give them a chance to look at her and give me their feedback before I make a decision I can't change. However it is taking longer than I anticipated.

Could you get the mechanical stuff repaired at a garage and then do the cosmetic stuff (bumpers etc) yourself? 

It's really not too difficult and if you want to drive it over to Oxfordshire I'll even give you a hand swapping the bumpers over (my wife will be over joyed to see yet another car littering the drive) 

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Which according to your 7 Nov message was somewhere around 100-150 quid.  And apparently you think that's significant enough to sway your decision making.

You couldn't afford to replace 10 year old tyres or bust engine mounts. You have said yourself you don't have time or mechanical knowledge to do these things.

One post earlier in the thread received more likes than nearly any other post I've seen on BoXa. Go back and look at it again.

It's time for you to move on.  Someone else might rescue this car but it won't be you.  You are refusing to accept it, but it is.  Accept it and sleep better.

It was fecking horrible taking my dog to the vet to have him put down, but despite how much my children bawled their darling eyes out, there was really no other option.

52 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Which according to your 7 Nov message was somewhere around 100-150 quid.  And apparently you think that's significant enough to sway your decision making.

You couldn't afford to replace 10 year old tyres or bust engine mounts. You have said yourself you don't have time or mechanical knowledge to do these things.

One post earlier in the thread received more likes than nearly any other post I've seen on BoXa. Go back and look at it again.

It's time for you to move on.  Someone else might rescue this car but it won't be you.  You are refusing to accept it, but it is.  Accept it and sleep better.

It was fecking horrible taking my dog to the vet to have him put down, but despite how much my children bawled their darling eyes out, there was really no other option.

Are you suggesting it's time to have @Darkstar put down? 

54 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

55 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Sorry to hear about your dog, Meno :crying_anim02:

43 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Snooze you lose, just missed out on a belter

I know but it was silver and I've done silver. I'm looking for another colour now maybe black or even gray.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, mike597 said:

I think you've said what others may have thought but were too polite or reticent to say. 

Agreed, I think i was the first to mention that the tyres were the probable cause of the crash.

I'm still interested to hear what Lee at CPS has to say...he may be interested in buying it from the insurance company, you get your payout, he fixes the car and you pay him your payout for it? That way you'd have a sorted car, are not out of pocket and everyone's happy? The only downside is it would then be a CAT car, but that's not much of an issue at that end of the market, especially if you'd plan on keeping it?

30 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I know but it was silver and I've done silver. I'm looking for another colour now maybe black or even gray.

Why not try an altogether different type of car? An aging 986 is never going to be very wallet friendly if you can't DIY it so perhaps take the money and give another make/model a go? Clio 182/mx5/westfield type thing are all very popular at trackdays

38 minutes ago, Terryg said:

We all await the final outcome with bated breath, it is rapidly becoming as gripping as Brexit.

😂 - Yep - but I hope we wont get long delays, and the possibility that another garage wants a go instead! 

Archived