Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

I'd take the payout from Admiral as you're already £300 down on the recovery. Do,you really want another Boxster? You seem to have lost the love for both your cars. Seems like a buyer's market out there if you do fancy another one, but I'd take the payout and have a think about it for a couple of weeks.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I'd take the payout from Admiral as you're already £300 down on the recovery. Do,you really want another Boxster? You seem to have lost the love for both your cars. Seems like a buyer's market out there if you do fancy another one, but I'd take the payout and have a think about it for a couple of weeks.

I think that was where I was this morning when I woke up and then I was getting loads of recommendations to keep it and fix it.

Better the car you know that the car you don't.

I was not sure which way to turn now I am just confused.

I would be going for Sams car (I saw you were looking at his ad last night and thought that’s the way to go ).

Sam’s car looks to be a cracker! and he searched long and hard for it after selling his other one , so knows his stuff -  Mine is an 07 987 SE so very very similar to Sam’s but with some extra mods - Sam’s is also a very fair price and a great colour - good luck with whatever you decide .

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

Shame about your mishap.

I would think the popular forum choice would be to scrap it - thereby reducing Boxster numbers by one unit and increasing rarity factor of those remaining;). Added bonus of more spares available;).

Hope the final outcome is satisfactory to you:).

Yup that was entirely my reasoning as well. 

12 minutes ago, CAZ said:

I would be going for Sams car (I saw you were looking at his ad last night and thought that’s the way to go ).

Sam’s car looks to be a cracker! and he searched long and hard for it after selling his other one , so knows his stuff -  Mine is an 07 987 SE so very very similar to Sam’s but with some extra mods - Sam’s is also a very fair price and a great colour - good luck with whatever you decide .

Yes I was looking and dreaming last nigh. Not sure I can afford Sam's car though but it was the one I kept going back to in the for sale section as the best bargain but if I can't afford it I need to bring a bit of reality in to my though process.

Finding the £3K to repair mine is a major problem. Finding the £5K to get Sam's is just a pipe dream and Sam is not going to knock £2K of his asking price so back to dreaming. 

13 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Yes I was looking and dreaming last nigh. Not sure I can afford Sam's car though but it was the one I kept going back to in the for sale section as the best bargain but if I can't afford it I need to bring a bit of reality in to my though process.

Finding the £3K to repair mine is a major problem. Finding the £5K to get Sam's is just a pipe dream and Sam is not going to knock £2K of his asking price so back to dreaming. 

Perhaps, take the payout, reevaluate how you feel about these cars and if the love is still there, find a way to fund a replacement.

Or, take a break for a bit, use the opportunity to save up and come back to play later down the line.

If you had protected NCD on her I wouldn’t worry too much about the increase in premium - or even if you didn’t- once you’re past 40 it doesn't seem to make that much of a dent ( sorry ) in your premium - i took out the back light of a Merc last year - no other damage just the light - bill came to £4.5 k ( not  a scratch on my car but the Merc was going back after its contract had ended - so the weasels claimed for everything - i wasn't even aware of the cost until I came to insure the Box with Aplan and got them to do the Fiesta as well - still only cost me £300 for the Box and £330 for the Fiesta - so your premiums should hardly change .

Honestly, given Darkstar's particularly modest assessment of his mechanical capabilities and financial limitations, the fact that he bought the car with 10 year old tyres on, and we now find that the engine mounts were under advisory for some time and have finally given way with expensive consequences... I would not be looking for him to put this car back on the road, he could spend a load of money solving the obvious problems and then find it's been neglected in several other areas as well.  I think it's a good project for someone, but not him.

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Perhaps, take the payout, reevaluate how you feel about these cars and if the love is still there, find a way to fund a replacement.

Or, take a break for a bit, use the opportunity to save up and come back to play later down the line.

I'd second this approach, only recently you were saying you'd fallen out of love with your Boxster, and if it's going to be a stretch financially either to repair or replace it then I'd maybe push the insurance for the best payout you can get - then take some time to see how you feel after that, maybe over Christmas etc.

1 minute ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I still would love a Boxster that I am sure of it just getting one that ticks all the boxes. See what I did there.

Silver was an absolute joy to drive it just had so many little cosmetic issues that used to bug me.

Blue has all those issues fixed but just has not given me any joy to drive. The failing engine mounts causing her to try and kill me on several occasions might have something to do with that.

My big concern is me and money don't get on well. If I have a few £K sitting there it will not get bigger it will get flittered away on small to medium purchases with a personal promise to myself that I will pay it back with interest next month. No chance.

I got Silver due to a windfall that was earmarked fro something else and I upgraded to Blue due to another windfall that I just had not worked out what to spend on yet. No windfalls in the near future and I have rubbed my crystal balls till its soar trying to find one.

5 minutes ago, CAZ said:

If you had protected NCD on her I wouldn’t worry too much about the increase in premium - or even if you didn’t- once you’re past 40 it doesn't seem to make that much of a dent ( sorry ) in your premium - i took out the back light of a Merc last year - no other damage just the light - bill came to £4.5 k ( not  a scratch on my car but the Merc was going back after its contract had ended - so the weasels claimed for everything - i wasn't even aware of the cost until I came to insure the Box with Aplan and got them to do the Fiesta as well - still only cost me £300 for the Box and £330 for the Fiesta - so your premiums should hardly change .

My premium nearly doubled, after my incident last year, and that was with 11 years' protected NCB. Then again, am relatively young, so...

Interestingly, the premium on the other car (with separate NCB) were not significantly affected.

Protected NCB is just that - you don't lose your NCB, but that doesn't mean your premiums won't get affected.

@Darkstar don't forget that even if you don't make a claim through your insurance, you will still need to declare the accident at future car insurance renewals since it will now be logged on the industry anti fraud database.

1 minute ago, Nobbie said:

@Darkstar don't forget that even if you don't make a claim through your insurance, you will still need to declare the accident at future car insurance renewals since it will now be logged on the industry anti fraud database.

I know and figured it was as soon as the police arrived to help clear me from the dual carriageway. So I already had no were to hide.

Regarding NCB, I only was on my first year as some mess up meant my other 2 years was on my silver Boxster but either way I did not have enough to protect it.

13 minutes ago, the baron said:

You mention tyres in your list of things to do to the car, could that of been a contributing factor to the spin?

Could have. I knew she needed new tyres when I bought Blue and that was factored in to the price but the plan was to run it for a bit and then buy tyres.

If you are not sure you'll save it put the money in a bond (1 year or whatever) then you can try to save a little more and look again nearer when the money matures.

Sounds as though there were a few underlying issues with the car; old tyres, engine mounts (MOT advisories are there for a reason...) so body work plus several hundred to put these in order, £3k is not far off in cost.

End of the day s**t happens.  By the way which island and which direction on the Northampton ring road?

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

If you are not sure you'll save it put the money in a bond (1 year or whatever) then you can try to save a little more and look again nearer when the money matures.

Sounds as though there were a few underlying issues with the car; old tyres, engine mounts (MOT advisories are there for a reason...) so body work plus several hundred to put these in order, £3k is not far off in cost.

End of the day s**t happens.  By the way which island and which direction on the Northampton ring road?

I was on the A5076 and came to rest just short of Rothersthorpe Rd.

Had the engine failed in some dramatic way you would be worse off having to accept scrap values, at least with a prang  the insurance pays out maket value. I was at my indy today and there was a nice 2004 986S sitting there with a wrecked engine as the IMS had failed at 115000 miles. Very tidy car with a full factory leather and carbon interior. The best scrapage offered is £1200, apparently a lot of 986s have died this summer and there is a glut of bits. How true that is I dont know. I was offered a lot more for my broken 986 back in March, which incidently is back on the road all fixed. Sorry Colin that is not a lot of help to you. Best of luck. Getting into Sams car seems like a good idea to me. You woild still need to put some good tyres on blue if you fixed it up too !

It's the damage limited to what you show in the photos? If so, I'd just get a couple of bumpers from ebay, spend 160 quid on engine mounts, and be on my merry way. Unless there is damage I'm not seeing, I reckon you could fix all of that for less than your excess... And I'm usually cynical about these things

£2.8k  v £4-5k isn't a great deal when looking at cars. For that difference you can trade up from a 986 to something like @fat haggis 987.

I would go that route personally. If you get the car back, fix it up and then feel like you did a while ago, i.e not driving it much .... What would be the point.

2 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

It's the damage limited to what you show in the photos? If so, I'd just get a couple of bumpers from ebay, spend 160 quid on engine mounts, and be on my merry way. Unless there is damage I'm not seeing, I reckon you could fix all of that for less than your excess... And I'm usually cynical about these things

I can't do the work so will have to pay someone. I'm £138 down for the recovery and an extra £20 per night storage. I then need to get it to a garage, CPS. So £300.

Next I need one alloy and possibly some suspension work. Then we get on to the front and rear bumpers. All from ebay. 

Then I have a couple of issues I was informed about at its last service, engine mounts and rear anti roll bar. 

Finally I think I will need a starter motor as it occasionally sequels when starting. 

Oh yes and those tyres and a four wheel alignment. 

So add it all up and I think a £3k budget is fair. 

3 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I can't do the work so will have to pay someone. I'm £138 down for the recovery and an extra £20 per night storage. I then need to get it to a garage, CPS. So £300.

Next I need one alloy and possibly some suspension work. Then we get on to the front and rear bumpers. All from ebay. 

Then I have a couple of issues I was informed about at its last service, engine mounts and rear anti roll bar. 

Finally I think I will need a starter motor as it occasionally sequels when starting. 

Oh yes and those tyres and a four wheel alignment. 

So add it all up and I think a £3k budget is fair. 

Forget it mate. £3k v possible £5k from insurer. Okay your premiums go up, but not that much. My wife totalled her Merc this year and it made a £50 difference on our family SUV, and the same again on the Boxster

So is £5k a reasonable settlement price for me to aim at.??? 

1999 Boxster 3.2S manual on 123,000  miles. 

What other factors will insurance consider when valuing. 

23 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

So is £5k a reasonable settlement price for me to aim at.??? 

1999 Boxster 3.2S manual on 123,000  miles. 

What other factors will insurance consider when valuing. 

I'd rip their arm off for £5k. WBAC would probably offer half that. 

3 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I'd rip their arm off for £5k. WBAC would probably offer half that. 

The important part is my understanding is its not the trade in price but what the cost is to buy a similar car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Archived