Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

The important part is my understanding is its not the trade in price but what the cost is to buy a similar car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Yes, it's what it would cost to put you back in a similar car, so get searching on Autotrader for comparable cars to send to Admiral after they offer you £4K🙄

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

The important part is my understanding is its not the trade in price but what the cost is to buy a similar car. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

100% agree with you.  View it as an opportunity to upgrade with someone buying your car at near enough full market value.  Forget about the crash and why it happened.  I wouldn't hesitate to look forwards.   OTOH if you're losing faith in the car (as others seem to imply) see it as an ideal opportunity to get rid without losing your shirt.

Current thinking is scrap it and get a different car, probably a Boxster. 

Really interested in Sam's car but I would have to borrow from bank which I really don't want to do. He's already way below market so I will not negotiate lower, I don't belive in doing that. 

I will talk to my insurer this morning and see how long I have to decide and then talk to Lee at CPS. If I can wait for Lee to recover and then give a full estimate as opposed to a guesstimate then that could be the best option. 

I know there are lots of stories on here of people buying great 986's for next to no money, but don't forget that any new car you buy with 120k+ miles on it will need engine mounts if they haven't been done already.  Just bear in mind that you are budgeting some money to fix yours up and then on top of it more money to replace the tires and engine mounts.  Just remember you need to factor that in when comparing to a "new" car, e.g. the minimum you are looking for is a £5k with a brand new set of decent tyres on and new engine mounts!

13 minutes ago, mvw said:

I know there are lots of stories on here of people buying great 986's for next to no money, but don't forget that any new car you buy with 120k+ miles on it will need engine mounts if they haven't been done already.  Just bear in mind that you are budgeting some money to fix yours up and then on top of it more money to replace the tires and engine mounts.  Just remember you need to factor that in when comparing to a "new" car, e.g. the minimum you are looking for is a £5k with a brand new set of decent tyres on and new engine mounts!

I'm thinking of buying a BoXa net members car that should want for nothing, fingers crossed, and its a lot more than £5K. It's also not a 986. 

That my plan as things stand but they could change after I have quizzed said BoXa net member further.

I think you will be forced to scrap it, but don't bank on getting a good price from the insurance company. I would start off with a valuation from Webuyanycar, and go from there. I have a very poor opinion of Insurance Companies, and it's rare that anybody gets a fair deal from a claim. Don't forget that when you value your car, you should factor in that it needed tyres/ engine mounts/ anti roll bar/ starter which would mean it would be worth less accordingly.  Would those items cost £1500? Also I don't know how thorough the insurance company will be. Is it possible that they could claim that MOT advisoried items and condition of tyres were a contributory factor in the cause of the accident?

The good news is that you are OK, and that is the most important thing. Everything else is just a temporary setback.

5 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I'm thinking of buying a BoXa net members car that should want for nothing, fingers crossed, and its a lot more than £5K. It's also not a 986. 

That my plan as things stand but they could change after I have quizzed said BoXa net member further.

There's no such thing in your budget, most cars over 10 years old will have stuff that is coming up for repair/replacement. If you go into a purchase assuming no repairs required, then you are likely to be disappointed. I'm sure Haggis' car is lovely, but he can't predict what may go wrong in the next year.

My car was superbly maintained, but the water pump went within months. It's just par for the course on older cars and the 987 also has weak points.

51 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

There's no such thing in your budget, most cars over 10 years old will have stuff that is coming up for repair/replacement. If you go into a purchase assuming no repairs required, then you are likely to be disappointed. I'm sure Haggis' car is lovely, but he can't predict what may go wrong in the next year.

My car was superbly maintained, but the water pump went within months. It's just par for the course on older cars and the 987 also has weak points.

This, this and thrice this, irrespective of how well maintained and sorted a car you buy, it will need something doing / replacing in the not too distant future, that's just a fact with older cars - plus the vast majority of people moving a car on generally haven't just spent on brand new quality tyres, servicing and attending to anything that needs doing.

I bought a fastidiously maintained and very well serviced, low mile 986 S (which had anything that needed doing taken care of) around 18months ago, since then I've replaced all 6 coil packs, plug tubes, top mounts, window regulator, door membrane and the indicator stalk assembly - thats aside from general running costs like tyres, servicing, 4 wheel alignment and for next MOT it'll be needing discs and pads.

But anybody buying a second hand car should be allowing a contingency for things, I'd factored in £1k a year to keep it in the order I bought it in, and I'd say I'm within that but not by much. Lets face it over a year it's only £20 a week, so hardly excessive.

Even the newest 986 is now 15years old, and the 987 you are hankering after is a 2008 I think, so now no spring chicken at 11years old - the only way you can realistically maintain a Boxster cheaply is if you can do all the maintenance yourself, which for the vast majority of us just isn't an option.

Just heard from the insurance company. Firstly I have 3 years to decide if I want to make a claim.

Secondly to get my car back yesterday it was £138, today it is £198, god only knows what it will be tomorrow and then there is the weekend.

I can get it returned to my house by the recovery company for £104.

20 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I expect Admiral will offer low at first which is why I looked on Autotrader.

No I don't have the skills or inclination to break it myself and my sons are too young to help or it could have been a good learning exercise. I don't think they want to see there dad swearing and blinding then rushing to the local A&E to get something sawn back on every other weekend.

I was with Admiral when someone T-boned my 986 at low speed and it doesn't take much to write off a 986 so wasn't surprised to hear it was an uneconomical repair. But I WAS shocked when those good people (!!) at Admiral offered me £4000, for a 1999 S with FSH (latterly with an OPC), 4 new Conti tyres, new coolant and air-con rads etc. especially when I discovered there wasn't a single S for sale in the UK at anywhere near that price. Following countless arguments and an inspection by an ''independent' engineer, they eventually upped their offer to £4700 - still nowhere near enough to get me into a similar car.

Then the 3rd party admitted 100% liability and I decided to deal directly with their insurer and we settled at £5900. I know this was a different type of claim to yours, as there is no 3rd party involvement, but I'm just warning you to be very wary of Admiral's tendency to offer low....

@Darkstar - have they given you a insurance value yet? You may be surprised, its not always doom and gloom, i had a Saab 9-3 written off approx 4 years ago that i had owned for a year at the time - they valued it at £900 more than i had paid for it - so i didn't have to quibble. I'd done all the research too, had the auto trader ads printed and was primed for a battle -that never materialised.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Yep, quite a few here have had pretty decent payouts in the past for their 986, so good luck. 

I have to press the BIG RED BUTTON that says only press if you absolutely don't want to change your mind. I have not pressed it yet.

Once pressed they send out their assessor who will write of the car and label it a CAT something which can not be revoked. Only then do they talk money.

I am arranging for Lee at CPS to collect it tomorrow if all goes well and I have the suitable stool and seam0n samples ready to verify the car belongs to me. This is according to a local recovery company that has declined to help me move my car.

I am feeling sorry for Blue and maybe I neglected her and should have spent some money on her sooner.

23 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I have to press the BIG RED BUTTON that says only press if you absolutely don't want to change your mind. I have not pressed it yet.

Once pressed they send out their assessor who will write of the car and label it a CAT something which can not be revoked. Only then do they talk money.

I am arranging for Lee at CPS to collect it tomorrow if all goes well and I have the suitable stool and seam0n samples ready to verify the car belongs to me. This is according to a local recovery company that has declined to help me move my car.

I am feeling sorry for Blue and maybe I neglected her and should have spent some money on her sooner.

Can you write it off, buy it back and use the difference to bring it up to scratch? 

Just now, mike597 said:

Can you write it off, buy it back and use the difference to bring it up to scratch? 

Yes but there are problems insuring previously written off cars and I don't know about you but I would not buy a CAT car.

43 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Yes but there are problems insuring previously written off cars and I don't know about you but I would not buy a CAT car.

Insurance shouldn't be a problem. If you're concerned about the resale potential once on the register that is valid.   However you will have all of the documented repair information and that should be enough to satisfy any potential buyer.  Of course it will be worth less than without the category. 

Archived