Scrap or Repair my 986

Darkstar

19 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Is that the only damage!! Surely you wouldn't scrap it judging by those photos?

I believe it has as yet undiagnosed suspension damage to rear passenger side.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Is that the only damage!! Surely you wouldn't scrap it judging by those photos?

The rear alloy needs replacing and therefore there is potential suspension work.

Its also the unknown damage to the floor pan area. Have I severed any brake lines a/c pipes etc.

Have you asked Admiral whether, in the event that you made a claim that they judged a total loss through their process, you will have the right to retain the salvage and, if so, on what terms (typically it is a set percentage of the value)?

This will likely be binary - i.e. yes or no.

The reason it is relevant is currently you face pumping £thousands more in to your broken £5k car.

If you 'claim and retain' then you potentially achieve the same outcome without shelling any more of your own money. There could even be money left in the bank if you are lucky damage-wise and savvy parts procurement.

I was in this position a couple of years back and speak from experience.

Of course, if Admiral give you a flat no re. salvage retention, apologies for teasing you with the above outline of a potentially wallet-happier outcome....

Cheers, Baggers.

As the potentially comment!!

2004 2.7@103k

All front suspension replaced,several brake pipes,water pump,AOS,4 new tyres, sports design alloys,Eissman PSE back box, clutch RMS Flywheel, gear box oil, ARB,s on the rear, all under trays in place,short shifter, Pioneer Bluetooth head unit, Bose, good history, ArticSilver ,Metropole Blue,interior and roof, exhaust manifold bolts drilled out and replaced. Long MOT Pads and discs all round.new windscreen.

This is what you need , just get in and drive, knowing all the potential stuff has been addressed, I'm open to offers.?

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

As the potentially comment!!

2004 2.7@103k

All front suspension replaced,several brake pipes,water pump,AOS,4 new tyres, sports design alloys,Eissman PSE back box, clutch RMS Flywheel, gear box oil, ARB,s on the rear, all under trays in place,short shifter, Pioneer Bluetooth head unit, Bose, good history, ArticSilver ,Metropole Blue,interior and roof, exhaust manifold bolts drilled out and replaced. Long MOT Pads and discs all round.new windscreen.

This is what you need , just get in and drive, knowing all the potential stuff has been addressed, I'm open to offers.?

That sounds a really great car. Will keep it in mind if I don't put Blue back on the road. 

Just to make it clear the £3k is split in two pots. 

First the money to cover the accident damage, that's estimated at £1500 and Lee should be able to give me a better estimate later. 

Then theirs the money I should have spent on her but had put off for one reason or another. This covers 4 new tyres, rear anti roll bar, engine mounts, replace seized bleed niples on rear calipers, starter motor and empty the Ash tray. I am really that incompetent. Estimate £1500.

PS   The asy try is only used for storing old parking tickets and half eaten sweets. 

11 minutes ago, mike597 said:

What does your gut tell you is the right thing to do? 

Go to the pub get blind drunk then buy a kebab and rub it all over my face and shirt and then fall in a ditch.

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Hmm, a future Prime Minister. 

And probably better than the two realistic options we've currently got on offer to choose between......

There is always more damage and replacement parts needed than first thought and once you start you get caught in the too late/too much already spent to stop.

Scrap and replace after recovering from what sounds like an epic night out 👍

Scrap and move on......you know it makes sense

Insuring a "CAT" damaged car plus trying to sell it on in the future!!!!

Time to move on, sad but unless you have a really good reason to keep this particular car...........

32 minutes ago, stevemag said:

Scrap and move on......you know it makes sense

Insuring a "CAT" damaged car plus trying to sell it on in the future!!!!

Time to move on, sad but unless you have a really good reason to keep this particular car...........

I agree that scrap and move on is probably best, but this won't be a CAT car unless he makes a claim, it will just be another repaired car and prospective buyers will be none the wiser unless they come on here.

I’m going to be really controversial here, don’t mean to sound rude or having a pop or anything but....

It sounds like you’re trying to run a Porsche on a really low budget, the propensity of one of these hurting your wallet with just regular maintenance is high, therefore my advice would be to claim off insurance & look for something else, non Pork, which is cheaper to run.

10 year old tyres, shyatety weather & probably a slippery road = recipe for disaster, unfortunately you’ve found out the hard way & glad that you / nobody else hurt. I’m not convinced an engine mount failure can be blamed. However in my opinion it’s pretty negligent to run a high powered sports car on 10 year old tyres.

I’m sure I’ll take some flack for my opinion, but hey that’s just what it is, sorry.

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

I’m going to be really controversial here, don’t mean to sound rude or having a pop or anything but....

It sounds like you’re trying to run a Porsche on a really low budget, the propensity of one of these hurting your wallet with just regular maintenance is high, therefore my advice would be to claim off insurance & look for something else, non Pork, which is cheaper to run.

10 year old tyres, shyatety weather & probably a slippery road = recipe for disaster, unfortunately you’ve found out the hard way & glad that you / nobody else hurt. I’m not convinced an engine mount failure can be blamed. However in my opinion it’s pretty negligent to run a high powered sports car on 10 year old tyres.

I’m sure I’ll take some flack for my opinion, but hey that’s just what it is, sorry.

I think you've said what others may have thought but were too polite or reticent to say. 

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

Your heart/like thing or what ever its called would suggest otherwise :)

I won't give you any flack though ;)

3 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

So why do you think you'll take some flack?  I think a good few will agree with your opinion   . . . . .

I look at it like this. People come to Boxster ownership from different directions, with different experiences, priorities and values. This affects the decisions they make. When things dont go so welI, I think the spirit of the forum means the majority express empathy and seek to give positive help and encouragement to fullfilling Boxster aspirations, particularly when someone is open and honest about their dilemmas and and are seeking solutions. Guess your arrival to Boxster ownership gives you a different view, which is Ok, but this is mine. Plus, if every Boxster on a budget owner sold up I doubt there would be much of a forum. We like our illusions here, Boxsters are cheap to run, we all know that. 😁😁😁

@Boxstercol is controversial but only in that a contributor has been unfortunate enough to be caught out by not maintaining a vehicle to a proper standard.

He makes a fair point and many non technical people are less aware than technical enthusiasts of the effects of overlooking or leaving safety critical maintenance.  As evidence look at where some treads start on this forum and what the problem actually turns out to be; it can be a bit scary.  A vehicle is required to be maintained in a safe condition to use in the conditions it is exposed to even if it has passed an MOT in the last 12 months, and that only says it was OK at the time it was tested.  10 year old reasonably worn tyres on a cold wet road with a contribution from a shot engine mount....  is that safe for other road users let alone just the driver and the faults were known.  Does not matter whether it is a Porsche, a Ford, a Kia or a Rolls-Royce, you have to have the budget to maintain the car you are intending to drive.  It doesn't have to be all OE spec and regardless of cost but it does have to be safe for you and other road users.

On the other side of the fence the opportunity to own a Porsche or other premium car is very attractive and once you get one you do everything you can to drive it, which in this case seems to have had costly consequence but no more so that an IMS letting go in style.  However you can see and easily get the tyres checked and changed, not so much an IMS, plus an IMS failure is not likely to cause other road users a problem.  Ditching the 5/6 year old types that came on the front of mine made a huge difference to both the road holding and the enjoyment of the car and my confidence the front would do what it asked, but I didn't fully realise this until I'd changed them.  Also in my case it is a second car so I can park it if I have a cashflow problem or at least not the skills/money/time/tools to do a parts only job myself. 

As a daily driver/only car, a 15+ year old car of any type is probably not the way to go on a tight budget unless you have no other option and a Boxster would be highly unlikely to be the option in those circumstances....

There is often a silent majority on forums and I think this is an excellent example, people say nothing for fear of upsetting someone and in fairness to this forum and its members I have to say that is a very positive place to be and that is great. In this case, personally I think @Boxstercol is absolutely spot on and calling it any other way is not doing either the OP or other road users any favours.

20 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@Boxstercol

As a daily driver/only car, a 15+ year old car of any type is probably not the way to go on a tight budget unless you have no other option and a Boxster would be highly unlikely to be the option in those circumstances....

Works for me, but I've always tended to buy older cars. 

I guess the difference is I do alot of my own maintenance, and I know the car inside out having owned the thing for over five years now. 

Unfortunately the saying  that, "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche", although not 100% true - really does hold some value.

Porsches may be cheaper to buy now, but remember it still is a Porsche, which means repair costs are not cheap by any means. I had a 924 before, and even that wasn't cheap to repair and keep running per se - compared to the boxster, it was cheap, compared to a normal car it wasn't. 

Its sad to see the OP didn't fix some of the problems, I mean, driving on 10 year old tyres is just asking for trouble imo. I don't know why people want to skimp on tyres, its the only thing that is keeping you from the road! You cant buy a Porsche and run it for Toyota money. Sadly, due to the cheapness of these cars, they are becoming more neglected as average joe blogg will buy it, rag it for a few months/year before selling it on without doing any repair work/maintenance work on it - leaving it in a more potentially dangerous/expensive state than had the person done the work. 

100% agree with @Boxstercol and other members. Car is probably scrap - time to move to a cheaper and more affordable marquee. 

Archived