What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

On 7/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Davey P said:

Booked the Cayman into Dovehouse for a service on 26th July.  I know the servicing schedule for Porsche is supposed to be every two years, but I think that's too long between oil changes and without any inspections.  They had it in for a major service a year ago, and I've only done approx 4000 miles since - My God, this car is being pampered :lol:

To be fair, I haven't spent a penny on it in the past year (apart from a set of Zunsport grilles), so I think that says a lot about the build quality of the 981.

I tried to get mine serviced last year but they refused to do it as it had only done 2000 miles since they'd had it in the previous year. They did a couple of other minor things, but refused to do the service.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Davey P said:

Booked the Cayman into Dovehouse for a service on 26th July.  I know the servicing schedule for Porsche is supposed to be every two years, but I think that's too long between oil changes and without any inspections.  They had it in for a major service a year ago, and I've only done approx 4000 miles since - My God, this car is being pampered :lol:

To be fair, I haven't spent a penny on it in the past year (apart from a set of Zunsport grilles), so I think that says a lot about the build quality of the 981.

Interested to hear how you get on - do tell once complete.

Cheers

Mark

3 hours ago, Rob™ said:

I tried to get mine serviced last year but they refused to do it as it had only done 2000 miles since they'd had it in the previous year. They did a couple of other minor things, but refused to do the service.

Seems a bit weird, I've never heard of a garage refusing to take someone's money...   When I phoned them to get an appointment there was no talk of refusing to do the work, even though they serviced it 12 months ago and I've only done approx 4000 miles since then.  He did say the servicing on Porsches is a bit different to other manufacturers though, so instead of a major service routinely replacing things like air filter/timing belt/spark plugs etc they only replace what is needed. As far as I can tell, the main difference between major and minor services is the major service has more inspections than a minor one, hence when I had a major service last year they only changed oil and filter plus pollen filter and carbon filter (whatever that is...? :lol:)

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

Interested to hear how you get on - do tell once complete.

Will do mate  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, Davey P said:

Seems a bit weird, I've never heard of a garage refusing to take someone's money...   When I phoned them to get an appointment there was no talk of refusing to do the work, even though they serviced it 12 months ago and I've only done approx 4000 miles since then.  He did say the servicing on Porsches is a bit different to other manufacturers though, so instead of a major service routinely replacing things like air filter/timing belt/spark plugs etc they only replace what is needed. As far as I can tell, the main difference between major and minor services is the major service has more inspections than a minor one, hence when I had a major service last year they only changed oil and filter plus pollen filter and carbon filter (whatever that is...? :lol:)

Will do mate  :thumbsup_anim:

Belts and plugs have a service interval - I think plugs is 4 years, belt I think is check at 4 but if its ok, leave it and replace at 6 or something like that. 

Guess when you are doing servicing out of sequence ( rather than just an "extra oil change" in the middle year) then the 4/6/12 cycle gets a bit muddy for what is due, when.

50 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Belts and plugs have a service interval - I think plugs is 4 years, belt I think is check at 4 but if its ok, leave it and replace at 6 or something like that. 

Guess when you are doing servicing out of sequence ( rather than just an "extra oil change" in the middle year) then the 4/6/12 cycle gets a bit muddy for what is due, when.

Yeah, I guess I've mucked up the servicing schedules a bit by increasing the intervals to yearly, but I just don't like the thought of running the car for 2 years without anyone inspecting it, that's all.  The car is running beautifully by the way, and I haven't had any problems at all since I bought it, so I'd like to keep it that way.

Picked up from Lee @ Cotwold porsche after a full service and got a free coffee mug 😀 

Then went to the Porsche dealership to enquire about a trade in and upgrade near by

Edited by mrbikerdood

11 hours ago, iborguk said:

Nice , what’s the target 😉👍?

Looked at a new lizard green 718 T ,in the showroom but after several salesman they concluded I couldn't buy the one in the showroom as its only for feking display purposes only so will be going else where but was happy with the trade in value 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbikerdood said:

Looked at a new lizard green 718 T ,in the showroom but after several salesman they concluded I couldn't buy the one in the showroom as its only for feking display purposes only so will be going else where but was happy with the trade in value 

Rude green looks great!

Had Integrated Automotive Porsche Apple CarPlay installed by Western Car Radio in Bristol this afternoon. It also happens to be the Bristol Harbour Boat Festival. So a nice afternoon walking around whilst it was being fitted 👍

Initial thoughts. Handy having the SatNav  through the PCM unit and the phone off the mount on the screen and tucked away in the centre arm rest. As for the rest of its features. Well I need to up my game and become more tec savi before I would benefit from it. Already downloaded a few radio apps 😂😂 So I’m trying 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, daz05 said:

@Ringmaster999get yourself Waze and a Spotify subscription that pretty much covers all bases.

Cheers @daz05 this sort of stuff is new to me. Just downloaded Spotify 👍 Already had the Waze app but I’ve never used it yet 🙄😂. Main thing for me was getting the Nav (when needed) through the PCM unit as apposed to through the phone on a mount stuck to the front screen 👍

23 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Cheers @daz05 this sort of stuff is new to me. Just downloaded Spotify 👍 Already had the Waze app but I’ve never used it yet 🙄😂. Main thing for me was getting the Nav (when needed) through the PCM unit as apposed to through the phone on a mount stuck to the front screen 👍

Glad you finally got it sorted out! Mine is just the standard head unit with the nav and Bluetooth streaming so it is good enough for me 👍

Just been out for a breakfast run with Mneil and Gobind, mainly so Gobind can try his newly purchased 986s manual on our local country lanes. It performed fantastic and he really enjoyed it. He previously had a 987.2 PDK and after a sort change to a M2 Comp he decided he wanted another Porsche but fancied a more analog feel hence the 986s. It’s a lovely example and comes with the factory GT3 body kit minus the boot spoiler 👌😎

So this morning for a change I thought I would try Sports + with the PASM in the firmer setting and was fantastic! Really helped keep the car flat on the bends and also helped bouncing over the bumps but wasn’t too stiff.  Very impressed, it reminded me of my 987.2 with the DSC controller. I feel like I’ve been missing out, this will be my new go to for pressing on round the country lanes 👌👍

• Like 3

On 7/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

So this morning for a change I thought I would try Sports + with the PASM in the firmer setting and was fantastic! Really helped keep the car flat on the bends and also helped bouncing over the bumps but wasn’t too stiff.  Very impressed, it reminded me of my 987.2 with the DSC controller. I feel like I’ve been missing out, this will be my new go to for pressing on round the country lanes 👌👍

I tried the stiff PASM setting several times when I first bought mine and thought it was overly stiff on the lumpy roads round here.  Figured it would only be useful on track days, which I never intend doing.

Didn't bother with it again until on the Dragon's Throat run earlier this year.  Admittedly had Sports + on by accident at one point and decided to leave it on.  It was better than I remembered so I've used it a couple of times since back in Kent and whilst it highlights the occasional bumpedy bump I've found it not as stiff as I'd initially thought.

Just for context, for over a decade I've been used to countryside hacking on softer suspension with more travel, a better ride and more subtle handling nuances with smaller wheeled and lighter Elises.  So a different proposition but there's still plenty to enjoy with the sledgehammer approach as well.

Another thing I've also been trying out recently has been to keep it in non-Sports mode, paddles only (my default unless on motorway/in traffic) and PSE on.  This also has an appeal, whilst it loses out on the response "feel" it seems to have a little more of a "pop" on the up-changes and less of the snap and crackle on overrun.

It's nice to have these toys to play with 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

I tried the stiff PASM setting several times when I first bought mine and thought it was overly stiff on the lumpy roads round here.  Figured it would only be useful on track days, which I never intend doing.

Didn't bother with it again until on the Dragon's Throat run earlier this year.  Admittedly had Sports + on by accident at one point and decided to leave it on.  It was better than I remembered so I've used it a couple of times since back in Kent and whilst it highlights the occasional bumpedy bump I've found it not as stiff as I'd initially thought.

Just for context, for over a decade I've been used to countryside hacking on softer suspension with more travel, a better ride and more subtle handling nuances with smaller wheeled and lighter Elises.  So a different proposition but there's still plenty to enjoy with the sledgehammer approach as well.

Another thing I've also been trying out recently has been to keep it in non-Sports mode, paddles only (my default unless on motorway/in traffic) and PSE on.  This also has an appeal, whilst it loses out on the response "feel" it seems to have a little more of a "pop" on the up-changes and less of the snap and crackle on overrun.

It's nice to have these toys to play with 😎

I do the same with PSE and normal mode. I also find having PASM in the firmer setting on fun drives gives a more exciting drive as you feel considerably more through the car from the road.