What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

8 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Thankyou and I hadn't actually considered it anything other than a chore!

I'm surprised you're not having to fend off neighbours offering to clean it. It's a thing of beauty.

Also, they go faster when gleaming, mine does anyway. And better fuel consumption, I imagine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I'm surprised you're not having to fend off neighbours offering to clean it. It's a thing of beauty.

Also, they go faster when gleaming, mine does anyway. And better fuel consumption, I imagine.

I use it so little the fuel consumption isn't an issue!  Trouble with having a fuel card on the daily with effectively free fuel..

14 hours ago, kharma45 said:

Service and brake fluid change, and taxed it. Expensive month. 

Make sure the inner rear bleed nipples have not seized and they have actually bled them. The OPC's tend not to bother bleeding the inner rear side of the calipers as they have to remove the rear wheels.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

..& hopefully in a safe place away from any other sliding cars.

On a straight stretch of road that has been gritted, the problem is the mile of narrow, twisty road up to our house... By the time I realised it was too bad to get back up, it was too late and there was nowhere to turn until the bottom. 😑

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 9:02 AM, andygo said:

Make sure the inner rear bleed nipples have not seized and they have actually bled them. The OPC's tend not to bother bleeding the inner rear side of the calipers as they have to remove the rear wheels.

On the invoice for the work it notes 

**All 4 wheels removed for access to inner & outer bleeders on Brake Calipers** 

So I'd assume all good then?

2 hours ago, kharma45 said:

On the invoice for the work it notes 

**All 4 wheels removed for access to inner & outer bleeders on Brake Calipers** 

So I'd assume all good then?

Assume nothing is my attitude I'm afraid. Borne out of experience. But sounds positive.

I have just had my 2 rear calipers swapped for free by my OPC as they were supposed to have been bled just 3 months prior. My 2016 Cayman with 25,000 mies and 3 invoiced brake fluid changes had seized solid nipples, so clearly never been touche in years.

It's worth poking a spanner or socket through the wheel to make sure the nipples are moveable. No need for a full 'undo', just to make sure they aren't seized. New calipers are £600 + a pop.

Edited by andygo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Assume nothing is my attitude I'm afraid. Borne out of experience. But sounds positive.

I have just had my 2 rear calipers swapped for free by my OPC as they were supposed to have been bled just 3 months prior. My 2016 Cayman with 25,000 mies and 3 invoiced brake fluid changes had seized solid nipples, so clearly never been touche in years.

It's worth poking a spanner or socket through the wheel to make sure the nipples are moveable. No need for a full 'undo', just to make sure they aren't seized. New calipers are £600 + a pop.

Car is back in again for warranty work next week anyway so if something does seem awry when I take a look I can say to then then. Some sort of fault with the alarm system, being covered under warranty. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, michelin said:

I think others have used 3M VHB tape but I’d be conscious of them coming away when flying about The Ring 🤣

I’m very conscious of them flying off and have yet to fit mine. They’re all ready to go but this week I’m tempted to take off the side panels and remove the one way valves on the drains that appear to cause more issues than they solve. Even though I’ve never had any issues probably because it’s garaged and not driven in winter. Anyway once off I’m thinking of drilling into the side vent covers and using self tapping screws from the inside of the side panels. I know some have attached via self tapping screws and the vent covers and then reattach the covers along with a bit of 3m VHB tape. If I do use the panel off method it’s still reversible but would require the side panels to be removed first. As apposed to just the vent covers. We’ll see 🤔😂

1 hour ago, michelin said:

I think others have used 3M VHB tape but I’d be conscious of them coming away when flying about The Ring 🤣

I don’t think just tape would be strong enough, the contact area is too small and you only need a little moisture to soften the tape.

Mine seem ok screwed to the vent and taped but I may investigate better tape when it bit warmer as I think with all my cleaning it may soften up. I’ve had mine up to about 100 and they haven’t come loose and I think if the tape started to give you wouldn’t lose them as they are screwed to the vent which snaps in🤞

• Like 2