What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

1 hour ago, andygo said:

How do you remove the standard vents? is there a youtube video thats worth a look?

There are loads on YouTube, just look for 981 side grills.

They are very easy to remove but you want to preserve the clips as it all improves the fit and strength of fitting the gt4 vents.

Just now, Lonewolfgjp said:

There are loads on YouTube, just look for 981 side grills.

They are very easy to remove but you want to preserve the clips as it all improves the fit and strength of fitting the gt4 vents.

Best done with a bit warmer weather then as cold plastic is a bit brittle in the cold.

Most of the videos I have seen either advocate taking the whole side skirt off or just using 3m tape. Neither of which seems that great. If you can remove the plastic vent surround and go from there seems an easier route.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Best done with a bit warmer weather then as cold plastic is a bit brittle in the cold.

Most of the videos I have seen either advocate taking the whole side skirt off or just using 3m tape. Neither of which seems that great. If you can remove the plastic vent surround and go from there seems an easier route.

I followed a guide on the Planet 9 website, I can’t copy the link but it is easy to find 👍

22 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I got round to assembling and fitting the side scoops today. A little bit fiddly and a bit cold for the tape but I got round it👍

52567289870_05c9bee0f9_b.jpg

I think they work well with the splitter and definitely look better in body colour (or as close as I could get to it 😂)

52567120929_b72f725950_b.jpg

Overall quite a enjoyable little project, not too expensive and reversible if I change my mind.

52567372383_fc221b2db0_b.jpg

Anyone thinking about fitting these I would recommend buying them already painted, buying some proper 10mm 3m vhb tape and be very careful removing your oem vents so you don’t lose any securing tabs😎

Looks great 👌

18 hours ago, daz05 said:

That's exceeded my expectations mate, looks good 👍 not the temptation I need right now!

Just remember the Man Maths, it is all cost neutral, or so you tell SWMBO.

35 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@Lonewolfgjpyou could buy some and paint them Guards for me and I can tell her I got a used bargain on eBay 😂🫣

😂😂

To be fair it is a quite inexpensive little job compared to some of your other projects. Probably £150 including everything 😎

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

That's teetering on the edge of plausibility as it is. Hoping the DPD man leaves the airbag in my safe place ....

Are you going multifunction on the 718 wheel? I am so have the adapter harness coming from GPS Adapters, great to deal with. 

8 hours ago, Raffe said:

Are you going multifunction on the 718 wheel? I am so have the adapter harness coming from GPS Adapters, great to deal with. 

Yes, but my car has the sports design wheel with sport chrono so I understood that I don't need the adaptor, should be plug and play and I'll code to suit.

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Yes, but my car has the sports design wheel with sport chrono so I understood that I don't need the adaptor, should be plug and play and I'll code to suit.

You may well need an activation code for multifunction in the steering column module. If you find a way round it, I'd be interested to know how. 

41 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

You may well need an activation code for multifunction in the steering column module. If you find a way round it, I'd be interested to know how. 

I'll let you know, the wheel appears to have arrived with two modules inside it and I have some experience in coding the steering control module.

My understanding is that sports design and chrono should make this easier. I won't be purchasing an adapter the cost Vs benefit is lacking for a wheel that's just as big as the old one.

Instead it may just go into the Cayenne as it has the same wheel without heating. I'll source a clockspring too.

What diameter wheel have you got Daz, I’ve got the smaller 360mm GT wheel on order which is smaller than my multifunction OEM wheel. 

my understanding is that for my manual car with multifunction, along with the adapter harness is the wheel should be a plug and play affair - I’ll report back accordingly 👀

8 hours ago, daz05 said:

I'll let you know, the wheel appears to have arrived with two modules inside it and I have some experience in coding the steering control module.

My understanding is that sports design and chrono should make this easier. I won't be purchasing an adapter the cost Vs benefit is lacking for a wheel that's just as big as the old one.

Instead it may just go into the Cayenne as it has the same wheel without heating. I'll source a clockspring too.

On the 981, the clockspring unit also contains the steering angle sensor, and the steering column control module.  The activation codes for cruise, multifunction, OBC, wheel heating, etc., are stored in this module, so if you change it, you lose any existing codes.  The Cayenne may be the same, so best check it out first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

On the 981, the clockspring unit also contains the steering angle sensor, and the steering column control module.  The activation codes for cruise, multifunction, OBC, wheel heating, etc., are stored in this module, so if you change it, you lose any existing codes.  The Cayenne may be the same, so best check it out first.

Noted.

7 hours ago, Raffe said:

What diameter wheel have you got Daz, I’ve got the smaller 360mm GT wheel on order which is smaller than my multifunction OEM wheel. 

my understanding is that for my manual car with multifunction, along with the adapter harness is the wheel should be a plug and play affair - I’ll report back accordingly 👀

The one I picked up appears to be the same size as previous but I haven't measured it. I'm not overly bothered about it, a heated wheel on the Cayenne is a good win, loved it on the Taycan I was using.

• Like 1

Finally got round to washing the Cayman this afternoon, after months of putting it off using the excuse "it will get dirty again..." (very poor, I know!) :lol:

We're off to Isle of Wight tomorrow, so the car will probably be filthy again by the time we get there... :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Finally got round to washing the Cayman this afternoon, after months of putting it off using the excuse "it will get dirty again..." (very poor, I know!) :lol:

We're off to Isle of Wight tomorrow, so the car will probably be filthy again by the time we get there... :(

"Well if you will keep using it..."

Have a good trip fella.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

Guaranteed.  Mine is even more filthy than usual after a run to and from Kent today.