What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Body colour it is then, I’m just about to brave the cold and give them a paint 🥶

52552715193_fa68876b80_b.jpg

One of the most awkward bits will be how to handle them while I paint them but I think I’ve got a plan 👍

Edited by Lonewolfgjp
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’ve put all the paints and lacquer in the booth under the heater lamps to warm up and I think it will be a paint and heat gun type of job👍

Didn't realise you had a booth !

I'll be popping over for my bonnet stone chips 😄

2 hours ago, Patt said:

Didn't realise you had a booth !

I'll be popping over for my bonnet stone chips 😄

Gareth is your man for alloy wheel touch ups 😃 looked after my Carrera classics when they got water under the lacquer and my Fuche wheels on the Alpine when a kerb jumped out on a couple😂.

I'm in two minds regarding my summer rims - stay with the part painted black or change to gold.

Having previously used a well respected company previously (when OPC kerbed one) and the black not being as dark as OEM, or even close to the centre caps - my decision is as cloudy as their colour blindness.

If I stay OEM then they would be painted, if I went to gold I would prefer powder coating for its hardness and thus less prone to marring and stone chip damage.

26 minutes ago, Patt said:

I'm in two minds regarding my summer rims - stay with the part painted black or change to gold.

Having previously used a well respected company previously (when OPC kerbed one) and the black not being as dark as OEM, or even close to the centre caps - my decision is as cloudy as their colour blindness.

If I stay OEM then they would be painted, if I went to gold I would prefer powder coating for its hardness and thus less prone to marring and stone chip damage.

Gloss black can be tricky one especially for one wheel but if they are a well respected company it shouldn’t be a issue.

The shades of black definitely vary from paint manufacturer to paint manufacturer. The black I use is Max Mayer and it is a nice deep black. I’ve used different brands and they can sometimes be a bit blue.

Powdercoating black is a minefield, there are some cheap powders which a lot of people use that look milky and blueish. Another trick they do to save time and money is they use a black powder primer and then lacquer of that. I seen that lots of times mainly on Range Rover colour changes and if you see any colour change special offers 😂

Another one and this is what they originally did to my Black Edition alloys, they aquablast the wheel posh scotching up really. Repair the damaged edges, painted or diamond cut and then re lacquer them. This is very popular on trade work but it can leave the black that has been aquablasted looking pale and milky.

If you want the best gloss black finish I would always recommend powder coating the set but only use a top end place👍

52509419716_39049d9431_b.jpg

I had sort out a couple on this customers Targa, they had been bodged before so I had to do my best 😂

52509691209_3cded5b420_b.jpg

But overall they didn’t turn out to bad considering what I originally had to work with!

52509898855_b42c229918_b.jpg

I know who to talk to when it's wheel refurb time, just wish you were closer mate.

I have a noisy front bearing apparently, did start to hear it hum thought it might be the ps4s running low at the rear but no. Lots of jobs for the winter.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Was persuaded to go triple bronze powder coat by Prestige Wheels in Birmingham. Really impressed with the results and more subtle than gold, matches the gold fleck in the pear white. What do you think?

PXL_20221005_085055545.MP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 10:41 AM, andygo said:

Might get involved with this repair kit:

My supplying dealer _ mid Sussex Porsche- cant understand why the corrosion has occurred in such a short time and are organising a recovery, loan car and fix for the 2 rear calipers that have been affected. Don't think thats a terrible result considering, but I'll reserve judgement until I have spent 2 weeks in a 1998 Nissan Micra loaner, lol.

I get the feeling they are considering the Time-Sert solution which I think is fine by me. Opinions?

3 hours ago, mneil said:

Was persuaded to go triple bronze powder coat by Prestige Wheels in Birmingham. Really impressed with the results and more subtle than gold, matches the gold fleck in the pear white. What do you think?

PXL_20221005_085055545.MP

This your new car, like it 👍

3 hours ago, andygo said:

They do look like a neat bit of engineering.

They've been around for a  long time, you just need to have the right sort of problem and a proper engineering problem solver to find out about them.

Passenger door card, glove box, cup holders, centre console trim all successfully fitted yesterday - then ran out of time. Drivers side trim, lower dash, door card and the armrest to do today. Wife’s fingerless gloves were appreciated 😆

52554215624_490bf5e5f5_k.jpg52553463562_25f2fea222_h.jpg

Edited by Raffe
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Raffe said:

Passenger door card, glove box, cup holders, centre console trim all successfully fitted yesterday - then ran out of time. Drivers side trim, lower dash, door card and the armrest to do today. Wife’s fingerless gloves were appreciated 😆

52554215624_490bf5e5f5_k.jpg52553463562_25f2fea222_h.jpg

Very nice, this will make a huge difference 👌

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ½cwt said:

They've been around for a  long time, you just need to have the right sort of problem and a proper engineering problem solver to find out about them.

I have used helicoils in the past quite a few times, mainly on magnesium race car gearboxes. They were always a bit iffy after a few uses.

These are a far better solution, especially on brakes.

On 12/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, michelin said:

Another vote for white. They look excellent. 👍🏼

Ok so the vents are now white and I do think they look better but I think they would look even better in the correct shade of white 😂

52554194466_c07bc38abb_b.jpg

Not too bad from this angle 

52554194341_330c99fbb9_b.jpg

but as you can see they are too white bit like some of those Turkish teeth 😂 I’m not sure if it’s the temperature I was painting in or not but it’s the same colour I used for the splitter and that was pretty good but I will have a word with the paint supplier and maybe tint the paint to get it to match a bit better 👍

• Like 4