What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Had a Christmas present from Mr Porsche today.

After discovering 2 e=rear brake nipples had corroded 3 months after a brake flush service and a bit of to and froing with the OPC, I have gone from this situation:

dpLKKPG.jpg

To receiving these FOC:

yzcFdPf.jpg

Thats 2 new rear calipers, bolts, nipples for the front calipers and pad retainer clips.

Reasonable result, seeing as otherwise i would have to wait until the car could visit the OPC for evaluation in second week of Jan.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, andygo said:

Had a Christmas present from Mr Porsche today.

After discovering 2 e=rear brake nipples had corroded 3 months after a brake flush service and a bit of to and froing with the OPC, I have gone from this situation:

dpLKKPG.jpg

To receiving these FOC:

yzcFdPf.jpg

Thats 2 new rear calipers, bolts, nipples for the front calipers and pad retainer clips.

Reasonable result, seeing as otherwise i would have to wait until the car could visit the OPC for evaluation in second week of Jan.

WOW!!!  Get the old ones refurbed an flog them!!

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Maybe better to keep them for when this happens again in two years. 😂

Great result though Andy👍

Never going to happen again, I'll be loosening those nips off every 2 months. They will be worn out, not seized.

Just worried about getting the fluid 'in' pipe undone, they are £38 a pop.

Edited by andygo

22 minutes ago, andygo said:

Never going to happen again, I'll be loosening those nips off every 2 months. They will be worn out, not seized.

Just worried about getting the fluid 'in' pipe undone, they are £38 a pop.

Let some Plus Gas soak in for a day or two and make sure you use a flare spanner for brake lines, not just an open ended as it applies the torque to all the points, not just two faces.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Let some Plus Gas soak in for a day or two and make sure you use a flare spanner for brake lines, not just an open ended as it applies the torque to all the points, not just two faces.

Yes, I have a flare spanner, haven't got plus gas, but will use GT85 if they aren't free straight away.

Suspect part of the siezing issue with the bleed nips will be that the previous (whenever that might have been) operative used the same torque setting as the wheel bolts when tightening - eg damn tight. The 'fluid in' connection pipe has hopefully been untouched since new and hence slightly less tight.

5 minutes ago, andygo said:

Yes, I have a flare spanner, haven't got plus gas, but will use GT85 if they aren't free straight away.

Suspect part of the siezing issue with the bleed nips will be that the previous (whenever that might have been) operative used the same torque setting as the wheel bolts when tightening - eg damn tight. The 'fluid in' connection pipe has hopefully been untouched since new and hence slightly less tight.

12Nm for all the fittings (bleed nipples, feed line and crossover pipes) in case you need to know.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

I'd replace the lines while you are there they are known to corrode anyway.

Yes, I had to replace one on a previous 981. Thats how I know how much they cost, lol. I did have a brief look initially and they looked good, so fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, andygo said:

That's an awesome result.

Any chance of getting a pic of the part numbers for the front and rear calliper bolts please, might have to do mine soon

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Assuming you don't have ceramic brakes, for an 981S front caliper bolts are 999 067 053 09 (M12x1.5 x 85mm) and rear are 999 073 402 01 (M12x1.5 x 72mm).

Correct! I have the fitted bots and bag to prove it.

Just fitted my new calipers and new pads from my stock. Brake fluid lin in was like new and flew out, once cracked, just used my fingers to unscrew. I binned the old pad wear sensors and soldered the  two wires from the plug together and shrink wrapped them. Whole job took less than 1 1/2 hours, including getting my wife back from next doors where she had disapeared to for a cuppa.  :)

More trouble than they are worth those sensors and it's dead easy to see how much pad is left by peeping through the wheel. Not worth the outlay putting new ones in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Assuming you don't have ceramic brakes, for an 981S front caliper bolts are 999 067 053 09 (M12x1.5 x 85mm) and rear are 999 073 402 01 (M12x1.5 x 72mm).

Thanks!

2 hours ago, andygo said:

More trouble than they are worth those sensors and it's dead easy to see how much pad is left by peeping through the wheel. Not worth the outlay putting new ones in.

Always worth keep an eye on the inside pad too as they can wear quicker than the outside one

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Thanks!

Always worth keep an eye on the inside pad too as they can wear quicker than the outside one

I never let pads get anywhere that close TBH, it's a 'thing' I have, brakes. IMHO it's one of the things that allow you to be faster, good brakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:17 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

I got round to assembling and fitting the side scoops today. A little bit fiddly and a bit cold for the tape but I got round it👍

52567289870_05c9bee0f9_b.jpg

I think they work well with the splitter and definitely look better in body colour (or as close as I could get to it 😂)

52567120929_b72f725950_b.jpg

Overall quite a enjoyable little project, not too expensive and reversible if I change my mind.

52567372383_fc221b2db0_b.jpg

Anyone thinking about fitting these I would recommend buying them already painted, buying some proper 10mm 3m vhb tape and be very careful removing your oem vents so you don’t lose any securing tabs😎

My scoops have just arrived, originally scheduled for mid Jan. They are a lot better quality than i Imagined, they are double skinned, really well packaged and even a Taiwanese air freshener included. Not sure I will be availing myself of its scented charms, smells of 3 week old B.O.

I'm going to paint the scoops in Guards Red, hopefully it matches my car. Although some tape was included, I'm going to get some 3M tape, I think it's about £6 a roll.

11 minutes ago, andygo said:

My scoops have just arrived, originally scheduled for mid Jan. They are a lot better quality than i Imagined, they are double skinned, really well packaged and even a Taiwanese air freshener included. Not sure I will be availing myself of its scented charms, smells of 3 week old B.O.

I'm going to paint the scoops in Guards Red, hopefully it matches my car. Although some tape was included, I'm going to get some 3M tape, I think it's about £6 a roll.

This video looks at painting plastic parts, seems like a sensible chap.