What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

On 10/16/2022 at 1:49 PM, Simo_UK said:

Courtesy car while mine is in for service.....

rSpL2tG.jpg

QrbKmxT.jpg

Lovely car (dodgy colour). Quick as poop off a spade. If you're in for an EV, definitely worth considering. 

However,  if I had this kind of money, personally,  I'd be sat in a 992. 

I do like EVs and consider myself a definite potential buyer for the e718 or whatever it will be called, but that big battery graphic would put me right off

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

I do like EVs and consider myself a definite potential buyer for the e718 or whatever it will be called, but that big battery graphic would put me right off

To be fair, that's just one view on that particular display. A number of other.option. Most practical being heating and AC

On 10/18/2022 at 10:23 AM, Patt said:

Not a fan of that interior

At least though, it doesn't have a bloody great tablet sitting in the middle of the car where everything you need is, forcing yourself to take your eyes off the road🤔

I quite like it for an EV.

2 hours ago, Rob™ said:

But as an ev driver, you are interested in your battery status… I guess you can get that from other screens?

You sure can. It has a “petrol gauge” on the main dash. As you’d expect other displays are configurable too. 

15 hours ago, Rob™ said:

That's not the car battery, that's the driver's libido monitor. If it goes below 80% the car won't start.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

That's not the car battery, that's the driver's libido monitor. If it goes below 80% the car won't start.

In that case I can think of a few on here that would struggle to get the interior light on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Fitted a set of Porsche OEM winter mats. Managed to pick up a set off Ebay for £40. Advertised for a 718 but fit perfectly in the 981

Mine came from a 991 - I have carpet mats behind my seats too.

On 10/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, JurassicGTS said:

At least though, it doesn't have a bloody great tablet sitting in the middle of the car where everything you need is, forcing yourself to take your eyes off the road🤔

I quite like it for an EV.

That tablet isn't as intrusive as it seems, but yeah, I'd prefer it to be through the wheel, and for the car to have a few more buttons in general.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the air filters and the three spark plugs on the drivers side.  Flipped the car around in the garage to get to the other side but the offer of a pint in the pub seemed far more appealing.  I can look forward to finishing it next weekend, also have the auxiliary belt to replace - joy!

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much the 981 but, it was used as a delivery vehicle so I could have a repair carried out on the calipers of the Cayenne. They have seized bleed nipples but fixed by a brilliant man with a shed! Far better than the offer of new calipers from the OPC.

I used the Gunson Eezibleed system after refitting, have to say it was very good! Hook it up to a spare tyre and it pushes everything through the system. Per the Porsche guide you do need an assistant to pump the brakes to get everything out but very easy and no mess!

Ps - very easy to cross thread the calipers, no tools until they are well on their way because they are made of cheese.

Edited by daz05

30 minutes ago, Patt said:

Had an Indi screw up one of my fronts - had to replace the caliper - AT MY COST ! 😡

They are extremely delicate! I took no chances and changed the lines as a precaution as they can destroy the thread.

Just now, Patt said:

I plan to install braided lines when my brakes need replacing.  I usually always change to stainless nipples while I'm at it.

I don't see how the hose has any impact on the nipple.

Good idea.

It doesn't different issue. It seemed easy to damage the thread on the connection with an older hose. Couldn't connect mine by hand so just replaced to be safe..new one went in ok with no force.

ref the nipples, if you turn them a quarter back and forth every year it's safest.

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Good idea.

It doesn't different issue. It seemed easy to damage the thread on the connection with an older hose. Couldn't connect mine by hand so just replaced to be safe..new one went in ok with no force.

ref the nipples, if you turn them a quarter back and forth every year it's safest.

I try and use silicon grease on my nipples. Stains my shirts though.

• Haha 1

The FPA race mechanics at PalmerSport used to put a dab of brake fluid on the nipple thread if they were fitting one, helps lubricate the steel thread into an alloy caliper and avoids introducing any contamination into the brake fluid in the caliper.

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The FPA race mechanics at PalmerSport used to put a dab of brake fluid on the nipple thread if they were fitting one, helps lubricate the steel thread into an alloy caliper and avoids introducing any contamination into the brake fluid in the caliper.

Trouble with that I'd imagine is that brake fluid is hydroscopic, so not the best stuff to use. In my experience, race cars are contstantly having their brakes bled, so never have to deal with corrosion.

Road car brakes have their brakes bled infrequently, so different issue IMHO.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Trouble with that I'd imagine is that brake fluid is hydroscopic, so not the best stuff to use. In my experience, race cars are contstantly having their brakes bled, so never have to deal with corrosion.

Road car brakes have their brakes bled infrequently, so different issue IMHO.

Hygroscopic, yes, but not instantly absorbing and the discharging loads of water. 

It is simply to avoid dry metal on metal when getting the threads to mate.  I'd have thought you are more likely to get corrosion from water (possibly containing salt) seeping down the thread from the outside over time.  I'll be using it when I do my brake system over the winter and report back if or when I get seized caliper nipples in the future.

been using SS for about 20 years on Brembo calipers - never had an issue before last year.  I am assuming the OEM fit is SS too.

Whenever I upgrade the lines or replace the piston seals, I always replaced the nipples and dust caps as they are low cost and they need bleeding afterwards.

I have always over serviced and upgraded service items when they need replacing.  I would be upgrading the brakes on Alice, if I hadn't already purchased a full set last year.  I just can't justify getting rid when I know their history and will last me another 5 years.