What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I don’t think just tape would be strong enough, the contact area is too small and you only need a little moisture to soften the tape.

Mine seem ok screwed to the vent and taped but I may investigate better tape when it bit warmer as I think with all my cleaning it may soften up. I’ve had mine up to about 100 and they haven’t come loose and I think if the tape started to give you wouldn’t lose them as they are screwed to the vent which snaps in🤞

The correct 3M VHB tape should hold whatever.  There are several types.  Not only used widely in the automotive industry but also in the signs industry (a sector I was in for 7 years) on signs in very exposed conditions.  Water should not affect it if it is a clean dust free dry surface it is applied to and pressed down to activate the adhesive properly as it is pressure sensitive.

50 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The correct 3M VHB tape should hold whatever.  There are several types.  Not only used widely in the automotive industry but also in the signs industry (a sector I was in for 7 years) on signs in very exposed conditions.  Water should not affect it if it is a clean dust free dry surface it is applied to and pressed down to activate the adhesive properly as it is pressure sensitive.

I used 3m vhb tape but it could do with being a bit thicker to Improve the contact with the car. I also applied it to a squeaky clean panel which was heated up but I think if it was used on warm summer day that would help. At the moment it is fine and I have washed the car and used it in the rain ️ 

• Like 1

I wasn't happy with the attachment of the standard vent to the side panel. I drilled two holes underneath the mid horizontal vane and through the underlying plastic piece that splits the air intake behind. A couple of cable tiesthen secure the outer standard vent to the internal one, meaning that cant fall off.

I also used a couple of ties through the scoops existing holes and through the standard vent, making it impossible for the the scoop to become detached from the vstandard vent, which in turn is invisibly secured to the sturdy inner plastic ducting.

I used 3m VHB as well so a belts and braces approach. I did consider using countersunk screws, but there didn't seem to be enough room to properly snap the vent back in.

IMHO the standard vent has to be phsically attaced somehow to the side panel or the inner air intake ducting as you are otherwise using the standard plastic clip in's to secure the scoop.  I think if you pull the standard outer vent you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

What would you suggest is the correct VHB Tape?

As a matter of interest, there a variety of different thickness tapes, the thinner ones dont protrude enough to allow adhesion as the sit below the 1mm height of the lip of the recess where the tape is affixed to the scoop.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

What would you suggest is the correct VHB Tape?

As a matter of interest, there a variety of different thickness tapes, the thinner ones dont protrude enough to allow adhesion as the sit below the 1mm height of the lip of the recess where the tape is affixed to the scoop.

I am some time out of the industry but a version of 5952 is likely what you'd need, based on the gap/thickness the tape will be filling being around 1mm. Take a look here for more info:

3M VHB Tapes for Automotive | 3M UK

• Like 1

I can't remember the part number for the VBH I have and use, I'll take a look when next in the shed to see if it is printed on the core.  I will say beware of cheap copies - they usually do not have colour printed cores 😉

I can say that I use three strips the size of chewing gum strips to hold my metal number plates on and they have endured many years of dirt and water and speed.

As with all adhesives, ensure the surfaces are clean and grease free before attaching.

VBH tape is used by many OEM's eg the GPS (shark fin) aerial on a BMW are just taped on.

So as mentioned in a previous reply I intended to have a go at removing the side panels this week to check the drain holes as per the vid and attach the GT style side scoops in a different way others have used. As you would expect on a car that has been garaged all its life and used as a toy. Play clean and put away 😂😂 they weren’t blocked. I removed the one way valves as I can’t see any advantages in keeping them and I’ll sleep easier now knowing along with my routine of pouring water down to make sure there clear there’s no way they should ever get blocked. 
Anyway attaching the GT side scoops I used 3M VHB tape first. Then drilled pilot holes, four in total, from the rear of the panel through the black plastic surround and into the side scoop. I then used four self tappers to secure. Now it is reversible but obviously the side panels would have to be removed to unscrew the screws before removing them and replacing the plastic surround as you would if you used the other method. I’m pleased and pretty confident they won’t fly off. 
AB2899-F9-0-D63-4-EC6-B9-C6-70732-E7-D70

CBF9-B41-B-6049-43-D3-98-A9-3445-FE60-DD

4-C2-F04-C8-6-BCC-430-F-B33-F-EF7-A4482-

D70-F0-C57-37-E1-4605-A86-F-5887021-C1-B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

So as mentioned in a previous reply I intended to have a go at removing the side panels this week to check the drain holes as per the vid and attach the GT style side scoops in a different way others have used. As you would expect on a car that has been garaged all its life and used as a toy. Play clean and put away 😂😂 they weren’t blocked. I removed the one way valves as I can’t see any advantages in keeping them and I’ll sleep easier now knowing along with my routine of pouring water down to make sure there clear there’s no way they should ever get blocked. 
Anyway attaching the GT side scoops I used 3M VHB tape first. Then drilled pilot holes, four in total, from the rear of the panel through the black plastic surround and into the side scoop. I then used four self tappers to secure. Now it is reversible but obviously the side panels would have to be removed to unscrew the screws before removing them and replacing the plastic surround as you would if you used the other method. I’m pleased and pretty confident they won’t fly off. 

Was it much work taking off the side panels?  I've seen a "How to" on Youtube, but of course - everything is easy on youtube.  Wondered what real life was like...

29 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Was it much work taking off the side panels?  I've seen a "How to" on Youtube, but of course - everything is easy on youtube.  Wondered what real life was like...

No not at all. I had my boy with me to be at the front when it came to the actual removal so that it didn’t fall. But honestly we took our time and it went sweet no problems. @Guvs gives good advice in the Technical Questions threads about applying WD40 at the front. I also applied it to the four black plastic tabs under the door sill plastics that you remove. Give it a go it’ll be fine 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

AB2899-F9-0-D63-4-EC6-B9-C6-70732-E7-D70

4-C2-F04-C8-6-BCC-430-F-B33-F-EF7-A4482-

D70-F0-C57-37-E1-4605-A86-F-5887021-C1-B

They look great 👍 

I think you’re fixing method is excellent and you certainly won’t have any issues with them coming loose .

I will see how mine hold up but if I have any problems I will try your method 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took the whole assy out of the drain plug.

Getting the side skirts off is easy.

Getting them on single handed is more of a challenge as you need to fit front first at about 45 deg and then get them into place - lot of floppy plastic to try and hold of the floor on your own.

Ohh and be careful with the 90 deg turn plastic clips on the underneath - they are £13 ea ! and I am missing 6 of them.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Patt said:

I took the whole assy out of the drain plug.

Getting the side skirts off is easy.

Getting them on single handed is more of a challenge as you need to fit front first at about 45 deg and then get them into place - lot of floppy plastic to try and hold of the floor on your own.

Ohh and be careful with the 90 deg turn plastic clips on the underneath - they are £13 ea ! and I am missing 6 of them.

Had the youngest helping so I wasn’t alone. He had the front covered whilst I removed the back and visa versa. I managed to get away unscathed. Passengers side next  🤞😂😂

Stainless screws might have been better for then long term.  Said, having first hand experience of removing and replacing several mild steel trim screws on a 986...

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

No not at all. I had my boy with me to be at the front when it came to the actual removal so that it didn’t fall. But honestly we took our time and it went sweet no problems. @Guvs gives good advice in the Technical Questions threads about applying WD40 at the front. I also applied it to the four black plastic tabs under the door sill plastics that you remove. Give it a go it’ll be fine 👍

It's not something I have an immediate need to do, but sometimes my car cleaning regime goes a bit far so it's handy to know.  On my Lotus I used to take the inner arch liners and engine undertray off every year for a clean... every gram counts :laugh:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, moospeed said:

I did mine on my own. About an hour each side. The side with the washer bottle take a wee bit more time. The torx head screw at the lower part of the front end took the longest time to remove - I've seen the video where yer man doesn't bother, but I'd be worried that it would catch and break or scratch. Easier to take your time and remove the screw and the three pronged plastic push-through fastener as well.