What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Sebro discs for mine were pretty much (to within a couple of quid) at both places. But obviously good to compare, so banked for next time.

Happy to report all 4 discs changed today and seem to be all good.

Oil change next on list of jobs. Car has done nearly 5000 miles (now on almost 30k total mileage)since it was serviced by OPC prior to purchase in July. Ordered some Millers fully synthetic from Opie Oils. I'll pop over to Porsche Silverstone for new filter and sump washer rather than risk putting a non Porsche one in in case anything goes pop and my warranty gets voided.

In 'other news' very happy as a chuffed Dad to report my company has minor involvement in this adventure:

https://www.pacefinance.co.uk/news

https://www.britishgt.com/news/907/the-lions-barber-collective-and-fastr-join-forces-with-race-lab-for-british-gt4-assault

Obviously I recommended a Cayman GT4, but In all fairness a Macca is faster!

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

That’s a good cause 👍

The Barber Collective was the trigger that pretty much enabled the whole programme that has been put together by my son after a chance conversation with them.  My wife and I are very proud of him...

• Like 1

A nice day so joined the local group for a drive to Balmoral area, after my recent alignment the toe up front was zero'd but it felt a tad fidgety on our rutted roads wheel moving around in my hands. Last night I managed a tiny  turn on each side to increase toe in and now it's just right.

I've also enabled the gear change screen so it lights up yellow to red at the red line, performance graph screens in the cluster, complete waste of time but they look cool.

After recent setbacks and without using it, I had considered a change but all it takes is one good drive to put those thoughts well and truly to one side.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 3

TIPEC coffee and cars meet up first thing. 

Came back and noticed the spoiler was loose. Essentially, one of the retaining pins that fixes the bracket in place at the mechanism had come out. Bumper off job but thanks to YouTube it was easy enough. Just took my time. Job jobbed and cleaned it all out at the same time. 

Then, drive out to a country pub for a roast dinner. Tucked up back in the garage. 

6 hours ago, daz05 said:

A nice day so joined the local group for a drive to Balmoral area, after my recent alignment the toe up front was zero'd but it felt a tad fidgety on our rutted roads wheel moving around in my hands. Last night I managed a tiny  turn on each side to increase toe in and now it's just right.

I've also enabled the gear change screen so it lights up yellow to red at the red line, performance graph screens in the cluster, complete waste of time but they look cool.

After recent setbacks and without using it, I had considered a change but all it takes is one good drive to put those thoughts well and truly to one side.

Pleased that you like your car again, especially as you have done so much to it.  Whats the story with performance graph on the cluster - is it a mod you have done?

18 minutes ago, andygo said:

Pleased that you like your car again, especially as you have done so much to it.  Whats the story with performance graph on the cluster - is it a mod you have done?

👍 Miles = Smiles that's the challenge you fave with not using the car often over winter.

I think they are essentially GT4 goodies which are available but not activated in the regular cars. The gear shift assist was active on manual cars.

As you rev the car a dot moves to show you where you sit on the power/torque curve.

https://images.app.goo.gl/awneMfXQxpZ7uGTU8

Well I haven’t done much with my 981 but I could do with checking my new brake discs and pads from AUTODOC are correct 😩 They have been in the garage for months and I haven’t got round to fitting them!

My 981 has had a couple of runs up to Derby to arrange and collect a car for my wife. Her company car is going back and after a lot of options she decided on a Mini but it had to have the JCW body kit and this that and the other. After trolling through Cooper S models she decided to just go with the full fat JCW.

52670559823_c51f0eb2bd_b.jpg

This was what we found and it was in great condition but needed a slight polish and a bit of de chromeing.

52699226449_9e3cf99b8d_b.jpg

One week later after a bit of tickle with the polisher and a few parts. Looks fantastic and the bride loves it 😂

52698660963_2623a976e6_b.jpg

You know what they say happy wife happy life😎

• Like 4

Looks good in red!  Had one in BRG with a white roof prior to my current GRY.  I had the Black Pack fitted as it felt like there were a few too many colours going on to have chrome as well - looked a lot better I thought.  I too had the smaller wheels and non run flat tyres - surprisingly few seem to have these.

5 hours ago, Carmand said:

Looks good in red!  Had one in BRG with a white roof prior to my current GRY.  I had the Black Pack fitted as it felt like there were a few too many colours going on to have chrome as well - looked a lot better I thought.  I too had the smaller wheels and non run flat tyres - surprisingly few seem to have these.

Glad you like it 👍

Shes really pleased with it and I’m pleasantly surprised how well it goes and drives. The smaller wheels and spec we’re just by chance as it was the condition and the colour that caught her eye but I think the smaller wheels and non run flats maybe a blessing as one of the criticisms I found online was the ride was a bit stiff. This one rides fine, not too firm or noisy. It’s nice to see her interested and enjoying her car after years of driving dull company cars. Although she isn’t looking forward to paying for it 😂

It is used to suppress vibration caused by noise - it is not designed to reduce noise.

There is a difference. 

For sure the adhesive bitumen (trade name Dynomat) will slightly reduce noise, however a lightweight foam will often reduce noise better.  Even Thinsulate (used as insulation in your winter coats) is a better noise silencer.

Unless you are watching any TV program from America that involves rebuilding a car - then they cover the whole interior in the stuff unnecessarily.  for example a 2" square will stop a gong/symbol from vibrating any sound. But that wont stop them sticking 20+ kg of the stuff everywhere.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

It is used to suppress vibration caused by noise - it is not designed to reduce noise.

There is a difference. 

For sure the adhesive bitumen (trade name Dynomat) will slightly reduce noise, however a lightweight foam will often reduce noise better.  Even Thinsulate (used as insulation in your winter coats) is a better noise silencer.

Unless you are watching any TV program from America that involves rebuilding a car - then they cover the whole interior in the stuff unnecessarily.  for example a 2" square will stop a gong/symbol from vibrating any sound. But that wont stop them sticking 20+ kg of the stuff everywhere.

Yup - reducing vibrations is what it's made for. I put it inside the doors just to give a bit more foundation for the door speakers, hoping for a slight improvement in sound quality. It is recommend covering at least 20-25% of the panel to achieve proper damping effect, so covering the whole car is definitely an overkill! 😃

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

Is Dynamat an effective way of reducing noise? If so, where else can it be applied to a Boxster?

Some people were lining the wall behind the rear carpets and inside the wheel arches with more appropriate materials to reduce engine / road noise but don't really get the point of doing that in a Boxster tbh...

I've stuck some in the door when I last had the cards off - standard procedure, even though Porsche have actually installed some on the 981 already.

I put some small bits inside the Bose shelf on my old 986 - made a huge improvement but took forever to disassemble and reassemble the thing.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Lonewolfgjp you are getting close to betraying the Brotherhood and giving away the key to Man Maths - just go for the full fat JCW, I mean, how does that add up?

😂 It was just easier to find a JCW with all the bits on rather than a Cooper S that I end up spending Boxster modding money on 😂

Cars in at Indy having H&R springs fitted and they’ve advised of the crusty exhaust bolts (and sent a vid) where they look like they’ve been at the bottom of the ocean for the last 50 years.

Told them to go ahead and replace with stainless as don’t want a failure like I had on my 987 which then impacted our trip around the NC500 trying to find a garage to fix for half a day.

As i don't want to fall foul of fitting a non Porsche oil filer when I carry out my GTS's 5,000 mile oil change I popped down to my OPC to buy a filter which I thought was about £16 or so.

Sure enough the filter was around £16, but what was shocking was when the parts chap presented me with the bill in reception that included an additional £11.20 +VAT for the O ring that sits inside the filter housing. You know, the one that has never ever leaked after a thousand oil changes..

Apparently the O rings aren't included, unlike every other oil filter I have purchased in the last 40 years.

The parts guy said 'I have no idea why Porsche do it this way', whilst trying to sell me a new plastic oil filter housing. I thought he was about to tell me i should fit a new engine to my oil filter at one point! :)

Well call me gifted, but I have a very good idea why they do it that way....

It's now sitting in my office whilst I get a frame to mount it on the wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1