What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

6 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

I've fitted the cover using my natural ingenuity 😁 but, there were no instructions in the box or packaging. Does anyone have a link for the instructions? Thanks

Nope, never seen any...

I go with...

Raise Wipers

Unlock boot and open it.

Start from front to back.

Ensure the back is sat in the top of the boot and looks equal boot sides.

Open the velcro which sits around each door mirror.

Open passenger door, insert front tab between wing and door and then insert door tab and shut door. 

Do the same with driver's door.

Shut the boot

Put down wipers on the cover.

2 hours ago, Patt said:

There is something in the manual about flicking the wipers on with ignition off - sets wipers to half mast to assist with covers.

Could you be a bit more specific please, I may be confused, lol.  :)

Sorry, could't resist...

Edited by andygo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cozzykim said:

I've fitted the cover using my natural ingenuity 😁 but, there were no instructions in the box or packaging. Does anyone have a link for the instructions? Thanks

I just lay mine over the soft top and as suggested work front to back.

Wipers over the front.

Open doors slightly, slide down front tab into door gap, position rear tab by door edge rear and then shut door ensuring front tab has stayed in place.

Put velcro bits beneath mirrors.

Open boot, put tabs beside gaps at front and close boot.  I find my cover doesn't really sit perfectly at the front corners of the boot, have tried all ways, even putting the back edge of the cover under the front edge of the boot lid but didn't like that as it appears jammed in and will stress the hinges. So with the tabs in the boot lid/rear wing gap it doesn't sit quite flat but does the job.

Thanks all, that's how it ended up, once I figured out that it has to be from the front first and crack the doors open to get the front tabs in.

It looks like there's some question about whether to put the rear flap inside the boot or not though, which I have, but also concerned/agree that it might strain the hinges or scuff the edge of the boot recess.

I'm heading home from work next week so I've bought a couple of presents for mine. So once I arrive I shall be updating the SatNav maps thanks to the positive reports in an earlier thread on here about the satnavishop upgrade. I shall also be fitting some Zunsport grills in the interest of keeping my newish condensers nice and functional. I shall then be hoping the weather gods smile for a jaunt around Nth Yorkshire.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IainR said:

I shall also be fitting some Zunsport grills in the interest of keeping my newish condensers nice and functional.

Admit it mate, you're doing exactly the same as me, and fitting them purely because they look awesome and not for any "practical" reasons... ☺️😂

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Admit it mate, you're doing exactly the same as me, and fitting them purely because they look awesome and not for any "practical" reasons... ☺️😂

Jeez you've seen right through me, I am that shallow. 😁

Edited by IainR

On 5/12/2023 at 5:16 PM, cozzykim said:

It looks like there's some question about whether to put the rear flap inside the boot or not though, which I have, but also concerned/agree that it might strain the hinges or scuff the edge of the boot recess.

I tuck the rear corners under the boot lid then close it, with no Ill effects 👍

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2

Enabled PTV with software yesterday but it was raining all day so haven't tested, will report back after a test. Just like the old rain sensor mod it just needs turning on 🤯.

My rear discs are getting on a bit now so this should clean them up before replacing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Enabled PTV with software yesterday but it was raining all day so haven't tested, will report back after a test. Just like the old rain sensor mod it just needs turning on 🤯.!

Is PTV an e-diff / software thing only?,

I assumed PTV was a mechanical diff.

Edited by moonshine

17 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Is PTV an e-diff / software thing only?,

I assumed PTV was a mechanical diff.

Porsche torque vectoring is simply software to brake the individual rear wheel to help it around on corner entry and my Golf R uses the same technology.

The PTV option also happens to come with a mechanical LSD for improved traction on corner exit but it's s not a significant problem on a mid engined car with this level of power and torque and they don't rely on one another.

• Thanks 1

I disagree.  An LSD makes a noticeable difference on any car that's being driven enthusiastically.

I've had FWD and RWD cars with slippers and also driven the same model without.  A lot depends on the type of slipper and then how it is set up.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I disagree.  An LSD makes a noticeable difference on any car that's being driven enthusiastically.

I've had FWD and RWD cars with slippers and also driven the same model without.  A lot depends on the type of slipper and then how it is set up.

So you are saying then that lack of an LSD on a Boxster is a significant problem?

It's not, and if it was the Boxster might have been called up on it a few times, which it hasn't .

I remeber reading on an Americam website that the clutch plates of the LSD are small and wear out fairly quickly.

I have driven lots of competion cars with LSD's and judging by the eagerness of the traction light displaying on my dash, my PTV diff is very late to any sideways party when asked to join in, particularly on a wet roundabout for example.

No, I am saying a slipper would be a noticeable improvement on a Boxster, or indeed any car.

I am disagreeing with your statement that the car doesn't have enough power to warrant one.

There are different styles of LSDs and some of these can also be set up for completely different characteristics too. Mechanical Vs Clutch , 2 way 3 way etc. etc.

The PTV you mention is just a part of the PSM that I thought all P cars had.  I would not refer grabbing extra brakes as a differential - More like; intrusive nanny computers that will cause more accidents as drivers are more likely to lift-off, or over correct.  

2 hours ago, Patt said:

No, I am saying a slipper would be a noticeable improvement on a Boxster, or indeed any car.

I am disagreeing with your statement that the car doesn't have enough power to warrant one.

There are different styles of LSDs and some of these can also be set up for completely different characteristics too. Mechanical Vs Clutch , 2 way 3 way etc. etc.

The PTV you mention is just a part of the PSM that I thought all P cars had.  I would not refer grabbing extra brakes as a differential - More like; intrusive nanny computers that will cause more accidents as drivers are more likely to lift-off, or over correct.  

It does on most cars I agree with you, it was useful on my s2000 with even less horses/torque and m3s of old but the 981 always surprises me with the level of traction it has, and when it's wet it's reasonably easy to slide because it is so well balanced with a nice power delivery.

The PTV I mentioned above is torque vectoring on corner entry off throttle. I'm yet to test it but it's quite a neat trick on the Golf R, downside being the computer is making you look like a better driver than you really are.

34 minutes ago, daz05 said:

It does on most cars I agree with you, it was useful on my s2000 with even less horses/torque and m3s of old but the 981 always surprises me with the level of traction it has, and when it's wet it's reasonably easy to slide because it is so well balanced with a nice power delivery.

The PTV I mentioned above is torque vectoring on corner entry off throttle. I'm yet to test it but it's quite a neat trick on the Golf R, downside being the computer is making you look like a better driver than you really are.

I was at a Spa tracj day a few years ago in my golf 7.5R. Going through the top of Eau Rouge as fast as I could with a slight drift on suddenly became a big moment as the traction control thought iy would 'help'. Big moment as the power cut and the rear brakes were applied.

Oh, how I laughed. Nervously. It was like one of your mates pulling the handbrake on for half a second...

It did it a couple of more times that day at different points around the track.

Edited by andygo
  • Haha 1

Short trip taking the back way to the shop, car feels quite different, it's as they advertise you feel the car tuck in as soon you turn in, quite a strange sensation, maybe more false feeling than I was expecting but it's quite good at holding its line when pushed past what is normally the limit of grip on a tight roundabout or something. Going to take some getting used to the turn in is more aggressive now, less input required than before.

47 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Short trip taking the back way to the shop, car feels quite different, it's as they advertise you feel the car tuck in as soon you turn in, quite a strange sensation, maybe more false feeling than I was expecting but it's quite good at holding its line when pushed past what is normally the limit of grip on a tight roundabout or something. Going to take some getting used to the turn in is more aggressive now, less input required than before.

I like the idea of that, initial turn-in is one of the few areas that I think they could benefit from. Please keep us posted, keen to hear your conclusions over a few more miles.

5 hours ago, andygo said:

I was at a Spa tracj day a few years ago in my golf 7.5R. Going through the top of Eau Rouge as fast as I could with a slight drift on suddenly became a big moment as the traction control thought iy would 'help'. Big moment as the power cut and the rear brakes were applied.

Oh, how I laughed. Nervously. It was like one of your mates pulling the handbrake on for half a second...

It did it a couple of more times that day at different points around the track.

Its a long way back to the pits from there to change underwear....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, andygo said:

Going through the top of Eau Rouge as fast as I could with a slight drift on suddenly became a big moment as the traction control thought it would 'help'. ...

It was like one of your mates pulling the handbrake on for half a second...

With mates like those, who needs a pension scheme?