IS IT OK TO CARRY OUT OIL CHANGE ON REAR RAMPS

kevin450

You might not quite get the last 100ml of oil I guess. I do mine just on rear ramps but do in a slight incline so car is about level.  An oil change will always leave some in the engine and oil lines so it’s just a case of how much you miss.  

Maybe drain oil on ramps until it stops then put some cloths down and drive off the ramps, let additional small amount drip out then back up to put plug back in etc?

9 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Maybe drain oil on ramps until it stops then put some cloths down and drive off the ramps, let additional small amount drip out then back up to put plug back in etc?

Don't do this for obvious reasons..... 

27 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Don't do this for obvious reasons..... 

🙄😯😬!!!

I change mine on rear ramps and judging from the quantity of oil I then need to refill, there is only a tiny amount that doesn't drain. Also, I change mine annually, rather than every two years and the mileage is low so I reckon that I'm well within Porsche's service tolerances.

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

When you do drive it off, give it a good revving to clean the old oil out of all the galleys too.

:whistle1:

1 minute ago, Liberty said:

You know how to live.Jacks and axle stands?Luxury,

How do you do it then lad? Eat a hole in the dirt to make enough space under the car to get underneath to drain the oil, then drink the oil as refreshment after doing the job? 

I remember them days. And I was glad to have summat to eat and drink, I tell thee!

9 hours ago, Greenman said:

You might not quite get the last 100ml of oil I guess. I do mine just on rear ramps but do in a slight incline so car is about level.  An oil change will always leave some in the engine and oil lines so it’s just a case of how much you miss.  

I thought my advice about not worrying about oil loss when taking the cam cover off was bad, but I think you've taken it to a new level there @Greenman 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Then we had to lick garage floor clean wi our tongues. You try telling that to young people today they wouldn't believe you....

And got up to do this two hours before we went to bed!,

Archived