Tiptronic is anybody really a fan?

bally4563

You need to ask Pothole that question.  He is well practised in answering it.

Those who buy see the delights for daily commuters, with traffic, as well as those with dodgy left knees; and also not having to fuss with gears when hitting the apex on a track.

I hear sluggish ones can be reset by learning a more lively driving style.

No yes or no answer.

21 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Are they more sluggish or obviously just less engaging?

They are heavier than manuals and Porsche's 0-62 times a slower by about a second. So more sluggish but no slouch.

I bought my first Boxster - a mint low miles one owner 05 Tip - after some 15 years driving a BMW E39 with the same box. And expected it to be as good. Not having even driven a manual Boxster, I wasn't attempting to compare it to that. And the Porsche programming of that box seemed to have lost all the reasons it was so good in that E39. Almost as if the programmer had never driven an auto and didn't realise why some chose to have one.

I think it is the same auto box as found in Merc, the 722.6. The software will have differences of course and on my C55 it had what they call TCU remap. Combined with the ECU remap it gave higher shift points and faster shifts, held the gears longer in Sport mode etc. All sounds good but still pretty shyate for a sports car. I wouldn't want it in a sports car but it suits the softer more relaxed C55 AMG. 

I like mine, I have 3 cars that are auto/semi auto and it's as good as the other 2, but I very rarely drive in auto, I added flappy paddles and it makes it a far better interesting drive, very good changes up and down and a great "trick when changing down to overtake that I've never heard anybody else mention, if you flick the down paddle and boot the throttle at the same time it's an instant change down and acceleration, so it might be slower 0-60, but in on the road driving a manual could'nt change down and accelerate as quick!!!!

fyQLlz0.jpg

Interesting responses, only time will tell, however I will make this one right, if not happy will move it on, still a way to go yet, before its finished, and I'm in no rush.

30 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

i actually like mine and think it is plenty engaging, my only complaint is the lack of a 6th gear, i find gear change both smooth and sharp

Think it's silly it normally starts in second gear, yet has such a low top gear. I'd love to try one with a taller final drive. It would likely make the paper 0-60 time worse, but make for a whole lot better driving experience. As a contrast, I find the programming on my now PDK pretty near perfect.

Personally I wouldn't buy a sports car with the tip aka slush box. I have a BMW 330D E92 that has a tip and its great for long distance travelling and being stuck in traffic, but for the Boxster - it has to be manual, more engaging and fun to drive. But for those whose Boxster is their only car, I can understand why the tip is appealing - especially if you are down south! 

12 hours ago, headless said:

I like mine, I have 3 cars that are auto/semi auto and it's as good as the other 2, but I very rarely drive in auto, I added flappy paddles and it makes it a far better interesting drive, very good changes up and down and a great "trick when changing down to overtake that I've never heard anybody else mention, if you flick the down paddle and boot the throttle at the same time it's an instant change down and acceleration, so it might be slower 0-60, but in on the road driving a manual could'nt change down and accelerate as quick!!!!

fyQLlz0.jpg

I recently did a paddle conversion in my Cayenne, huge PITA compared to the Boxster/Cayman/996/997 conversion due to the paddles being part of the airbag unit itself. However like you say the drop down is good, can go from 6th to 3rd in no time overiding D as well if you're in full auto mode.

Whilst Tip suits the Cayenne and my daily is a manual I probably wouldn't have it in a Boxster, would have to be manual :) 

49322609583_de70f6a7a0_z.jpg

10 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Why the flappy paddles are not the buttons quick enough?

The buttons are ergonomically poor. The down shift isn't too bad but the upshift is a pain. However the way i have done it means I can leave the car in D, manual shift with the stick, paddles or buttons. Also the paddles have a firmer 'click' whereas the buttons are quite soft, sometimes difficult to say if the change has registered purely by feel.

I've only driven one and it wasn't a good experience - sluggish, slow gear changes and all a bit cr*p really. However, I think that was probably that particular car (from a local generic car dealer) as I know someone who had one and was happy with it. 

One other thing that really annoyed. Hoof it on a slip road to get it up to the speed of that road as quickly as possible. Ease off when you get to say 70 mph, and it stayed in that low gear for ages. Instead of changing up immediately. Would have made more sense to have a user switch which gave you a normal auto mode, and a sport mode, where it attempted to learn how you are driving. As it simply never did learn how I wanted it to behave. Although not too bad when fast driving on fun roads. But mine gets used every day - not just fun weekends.

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Why the flappy paddles are not the buttons quick enough?

having had a car with paddles for 13 years the front buttons just feel wrong to me, so paddles all the way!!!

1 hour ago, DaveEFI said:

Although not too bad when fast driving on fun roads. But mine gets used every day - not just fun weekends.

I think this is a key point, it depends what you use it for. Mine is purely for weekend fun and spends most of its time in manual mode with paddles to shift. Without the paddles it was awkward changing gear on twisty roads with a steering wheel half turned.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I think this is a key point, it depends what you use it for. Mine is purely for weekend fun and spends most of its time in manual mode with paddles to shift. Without the paddles it was awkward changing gear on twisty roads with a steering wheel half turned.

Yes. Buttons on the wheel are fine for a racing car where you never shift your hand positions on the wheel. But silly on a road car, for something as much used as the gears. On my PDK, I prefer to shift using the gear lever on the rare occasion I want to do so.

The tip is an old fashioned auto box - reminds me of two auto 3ltr Capris, like all autos you can learn to get the right results with your right foot - but the main reason I opted for it was the heavy Thames Valley traffic, driving a manual into Reading with it's anti car council was a pain. (buses in bus lanes with 6 people on them!)
I've had courtesy cars with PDK and that's a modern take on an auto, which is what you'd expect, I also have an 8 speed auto in the 535d, that's quite nice too :-)
The Tip though is what it is, an old style auto box....

23 hours ago, headless said:

having had a car with paddles for 13 years the front buttons just feel wrong to me, so paddles all the way!!!

Have you got any details on the conversion to paddles for a 987 S mine is an 05.

It's a UK car that I now have registered here in France and I like the auto box.

Having had a couple of Maserati and Ferrari with F1 gearboxes I miss the paddles for spirited driving.

The buttons are just not the same for me.

I rate my 987.1 for the record as one of the best built and driving cars I have had and like most of us I have had a few.

Archived