Tiptronic is anybody really a fan?

bally4563

Not really. An auto Capri had a very basic 3 speed auto. All control done by hydraulics. The ZF 5 speed is computer controlled, the same as the PDK. And just how it performs in practice determined by the software.

7 minutes ago, philw696 said:

Have you got any details on the conversion to paddles for a 987 S mine is an 05.

It's a UK car that I now have registered here in France and I like the auto box.

Having had a couple of Maserati and Ferrari with F1 gearboxes I miss the paddles for spirited driving.

The buttons are just not the same for me.

I rate my 987.1 for the record as one of the best built and driving cars I have had and like most of us I have had a few.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/898104-diy-tiptronic-paddle-shift-conversion.html

Very simple as opposed to the Cayenne, or there is a company in the UK that charge you £399 to do it instead - http://www.edition9.co.uk/

Mine cost me £45 to DIY

19 minutes ago, philw696 said:

Have you got any details on the conversion to paddles for a 987 S mine is an 05.

It's a UK car that I now have registered here in France and I like the auto box.

Having had a couple of Maserati and Ferrari with F1 gearboxes I miss the paddles for spirited driving.

The buttons are just not the same for me.

I rate my 987.1 for the record as one of the best built and driving cars I have had and like most of us I have had a few.

Yeah man, it's quite easy, I bought a used Mercedes wheel off ebay for £55 to get the paddles off it, so that's what it cost me to convert to paddles!!

first take negative terminal off battery and leave for 30 minutes, this drains all power and means when you put the battery back on the airbag light does'nt come on, so take the airbag off by poking a small screwdriver up the hole at the bottom of the steeringwheel to push the wire thingy up to release the airbag, this can be a pain in the ar*e, haha, undo wheel and connectors and take wheel off.......it will then look like this

1xIYDNp.jpg

take front buttons off

Rc4wscj.jpg

take paddles and see where you want to fit them and cut out the rubber like this.....

N8FalyH.jpg

fit paddles and poke the 2 wires through after making a hole through the rubber part of wheel ( you can cut off the 2 connectors on the paddles as you don't need them), 

now only use the left hand button as it has both up and down and splice into these wires shown in diagram.....

z15f5kJ.jpg

black is the common ground for both up and down then the brown and black for up and down, splicing in means you can still use front buttons, but I never do, haha!!!

then refit everything and that's it.....

10 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

The ZF 5 speed is computer controlled, the same as the PDK. And just how it performs in practice determined by the software.

Yes OK, just old.....
Actually pretty sure reset the learning cycle at one point - battery disconnect sort of thing....

On 1/16/2020 at 9:17 PM, thanatoid said:

Yes OK, just old.....
Actually pretty sure reset the learning cycle at one point - battery disconnect sort of thing....

It's only old in that most newer transmissions have more gears. My complaint is it doesn't make the best use of those it has. Mainly in town driving, where you want it to be like any other auto. On the open road, when driving harder, it was better. Except for the low top gear for cruising. If it learns how you want it to be, why would it need rebooting? 😀

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, headless said:

Yeah man, it's quite easy, I bought a used Mercedes wheel off ebay for £55 to get the paddles off it, so that's what it cost me to convert to paddles!!

first take negative terminal off battery and leave for 30 minutes, this drains all power and means when you put the battery back on the airbag light does'nt come on, so take the airbag off by poking a small screwdriver up the hole at the bottom of the steeringwheel to push the wire thingy up to release the airbag, this can be a pain in the ar*e, haha, undo wheel and connectors and take wheel off.......it will then look like this

1xIYDNp.jpg

take front buttons off

Rc4wscj.jpg

take paddles and see where you want to fit them and cut out the rubber like this.....

N8FalyH.jpg

fit paddles and poke the 2 wires through after making a hole through the rubber part of wheel ( you can cut off the 2 connectors on the paddles as you don't need them), 

now only use the left hand button as it has both up and down and splice into these wires shown in diagram.....

z15f5kJ.jpg

black is the common ground for both up and down then the brown and black for up and down, splicing in means you can still use front buttons, but I never do, haha!!!

then refit everything and that's it.....

Can you make a pic of the wiring diagram? Or of the finished install

Alas

due to chronic health conditions I will have to seek out a tiptronic model as I shall be struggling to change gear.(Parkinsons desease )

It's that or NO BOXSTER 

So yes these cars are fine given the alternative non porsche, BMW,Mercedes etc (boring cars )

So my lovely manual will be going in 2021.......hopefully the world will be spinning again by then 😔😂;)

I specifically wanted a tip as it would be my first Porsche and I didn’t want to be concerned with clutch and flywheel condition or replacement worries. Also rightly or wrongly there’s less chance of a tip being over-revved over its lifetime.

Having had it for nearly 2 years and 13000 miles it hasn’t disappointed and been excellent in and out of town 

"Tiptronic is anybody really a fan?"

Fills a need, I tired of manuals in heavy Thames Valley traffic, without doubt later auto boxes are better, but you'd expect that.

If I change to another Boxster, it'll be a PDK, but no plans to do so, don't need the space of a 535d anymore, as both daughters drive now, but doing nothing is easiest option...  :-)

As said above, everyone is different, Tips do a good job for those who don't want a manual or consider themselves a driving god.

With the onslaught of milkfloats, sorry, EV's - manuals will become less and less.

I love my PDK though - best of both worlds in my opinion, but requires a higher cost point for purchase.

I'd consider a tip though - i was even looking at a 996 converible tip before the Boxster which apparently is the anti-porsche of any porsche to the "purists" - but i really couldn't give a t*ss what they think! :)

I have always steered clear of autos, but did opt for a DSG in my latest company car having used it on an Audi and I do like that it is direct drive with clutch control rather than torque convertor based.  If PDK performance is equivalent or better than DSG I'd be a convert but well out of my current 3rd car price range.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I have always steered clear of autos, but did opt for a DSG in my latest company car having used it on an Audi and I do like that it is direct drive with clutch control rather than torque convertor based.  If PDK performance is equivalent or better than DSG I'd be a convert but well out of my current 3rd car price range.

I've had both DSG and PDK and say there are on par

I thought DSG and PDK are the same sort of thing?( twin clutch). I owned my previous Boxster for 14yrs. Tiptronic was ok. My current Boxster has PDK and is just fantastic.

The DSG was developed by BorgWarner (same company that makes the Haldex and VAQ diffs), the PDK was developed by Porsche decades before the DSG came out. Currently the PDK is made by ZF Friedrichshafen, it shares zeros parts with the BorgWarner unit.

Hope that helps?

8 hours ago, EVO Chris said:

The DSG was developed by BorgWarner (same company that makes the Haldex and VAQ diffs), the PDK was developed by Porsche decades before the DSG came out. Currently the PDK is made by ZF Friedrichshafen, it shares zeros parts with the BorgWarner unit.

Hope that helps?

PDK was raced in the World Sports Car Championship in the works 962s back in 1987/8 IIRC.  Other than the internals having completely different histories, main difference is the DSG was developed as a transverse unit, where as the PDK is longitudinal in installation.

getting momentarily back on topic....

back in the mists of time when we used to live in london, talking to the OPC there about tip vs manual and he told me that about 50% of the cars they sold were tip.

I have no reason to doubt him and he wasn't trying to push either one.

Thing is my previous car before the Boxster was a BMW with the same ZF 5 speed auto. And it always seemed to be in the gear I'd choose if a manual box. Was as good an auto as any at the time. It was also a Stepronic, but hardly ever used the manual setting. Didn't think I could improve it in any way - except by adding more gears.

So expected the Boxster to be as good - within the confines of that box. But it constantly annoyed. Changing gear far too often at town speeds. Like a puppy straining on the leash. Stupidly low  overall gearing - meaning it could start in second gear most of the time. And revving far too high at cruise. Got so fed up, I changed it for a PDK - long before I'd normally change a car which was otherwise mint. And the PDK, despite having two more gears, doesn't change down when not needed.

What would be very interesting would be a PDK with an additional torque converter. Only used to move off - then locked up for everything else.

Archived