Roof cleaning

Downsey

Had a look yesterday at why my clamshell isn’t closing properly, and have determined its because the roof material is quite hard, preventing it from squashing down properly.

Whats the best cleaning agent / restore to make it more supple?

on a positive note, I fixed the roof tensioning cable that was showing when the roof was closed. It had come out of the plastic guide as per the photo.

B445DC8C-EBB6-4DC9-870E-74B58111A1F3.jpeg

6 hours ago, Downsey said:

Whats the best cleaning agent / restore to make it more supple?

Alot of us use the Autoglym kit which includes a cleaner and proofer. Alternatively people use Fabsil and Renovo proofera. Never heard of these making the roof more supple though and indeed never come across an issue with the roof not 'squashing down' properly. Are you sure that's really the problem?

5 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Alot of us use the Autoglym kit which includes a cleaner and proofer. 

That's good to know.  I bought the 2 part Autoglym kit just after I bought the car, but since then it's always been too cold and/or wet (or more importantly, I've been too lazy... :lol:) to get it done.  I'm wondering if it will bead up when wet, like a vinyl roof does.  I guess there's only one way to find out.

17 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Alot of us use the Autoglym kit which includes a cleaner and proofer. Alternatively people use Fabsil and Renovo proofera. Never heard of these making the roof more supple though and indeed never come across an issue with the roof not 'squashing down' properly. Are you sure that's really the problem?

I think so, as the material is really quite hard to fold on the top, in comparison to the material around the rear window.

it is heavily soiled with fungus / moss.

if I squish it all down as I put the roof down the clamshell sits flush as it should do. Working it a few times yesterday has got it a lot better, so I really think it’s the material causing the issue.

Will wait for a dry day and use the Autoglym cleaner & proofer kit to see if it improves.

Ive even thought of steam cleaning the roof off, but not sure if this will damage it?

36 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I'm wondering if it will bead up when wet

It will definitely bead once it's proofed. There is however a school of thought that it's better not to proof as it dries more quickly and it's better for the roof to be dry when lowered (e.g. if caught in spring/summer shower)

1 hour ago, red rocket said:

It will definitely bead once it's proofed. There is however a school of thought that it's better not to proof as it dries more quickly and it's better for the roof to be dry when lowered (e.g. if caught in spring/summer shower)

Blimey, we can't win can we :lol:

13 hours ago, red rocket said:

Why is it better for the roof to be dry when lowered?

I've always had this in the back of my mind from my 986 days but in the 981 I thought F it and just lowered it wet it dry. So now I'm questioning where this belief came from and if its valid.

2 hours ago, red rocket said:

Suggestion is that a wet roof is more susceptible to scuffs/marks when lowered. No idea whether it's fact.

Sounds like an old wives tail. It's a piece of fabric. Nothing more. Nothing less. Why would Porsche use fabric which marks when wet. That would be madness. I'd like to know if its true because I have been lowering my roof when its wet.

Have a look to see if you can see scuffs on your roof behind the windows where the fabric folds.

I have never seen a Boxster or convertible 911 (unless new in showroom) without them, either its because its the wet when opening the roof or they just scuff when lowering.

I did once query it at an OPC and got the answer - they all do it sir.

22 hours ago, Davey P said:

Blimey, we can't win can we :lol:

I am reading this and thinking exactly the same mate !  :o 

Just been looking into a Protex product , well three products , the roof cleaner , restorer and waterproofer .

I am erring towards going down the AutoGlym route but I don't believe they do the restorer , anyone got any tips for black restorer to add to all of my confusion? :lol:

all of my previous convertibles i've never lowered a fabric roof when wet - it supposedly makes the compartment damp as well which is not good for the cables etc inside - not sure if thats correct or not.

also never fold it if the temp is under 5-8 degrees.....

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

all of my previous convertibles i've never lowered a fabric roof when wet - it supposedly makes the compartment damp as well which is not good for the cables etc inside - not sure if thats correct or not.

Sorry 

That sounds like garbage. We all know there are drains where the roof stows and these need to be kept clear so water from this area doesn't leak into the cabin. Therefore I'm assuming any moisture from the roof would just exit through these. 

We all think Porsche make great cars - ok maybe not great in some areas but good at a minimum. Can you imagine them making a convertible car where the roof cant be stowed if its damp. Surely the whole internet and all tv programmes about cars would be up in arms about this massive design flaw.

On a very dirty roof I have used normal car shampoo and a medium stiff brush / sponge to work it in and a jet wash (don’t get too close

repeat the whole process antil no more green or brown stuff comes out.    Then use Milton fluid, leave in for a while and rinse  

Let it dry and after that if you aren’t happy and it’s faded use Renovo dye.  

then when that’s dry Fabsil it.   

its really rewarding especially when it’s really bad to start with 

When I refreshed my roof I cleaned it with Gtechniq W2 Multi Purpose Cleaner and a soft brush (it’s amazing how much “green” comes out. It’s strong stuff they recommend the use of gloves when using it! Then after it was dry 24-48 hours I gave it 2 coats of Renovo Soft Top Reviver. Once full dry again I then gave it 2 coats of Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric. Colour is nicely restored and the water repellency / beading is fantastic. Renovo do a good YouTube videos on the application of their products as do Gtechniq.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Sorry 

That sounds like garbage. We all know there are drains where the roof stows and these need to be kept clear so water from this area doesn't leak into the cabin. Therefore I'm assuming any moisture from the roof would just exit through these. 

We all think Porsche make great cars - ok maybe not great in some areas but good at a minimum. Can you imagine them making a convertible car where the roof cant be stowed if its damp. Surely the whole internet and all tv programmes about cars would be up in arms about this massive design flaw.

Drains mainly drain flowing water, not dampness. You can do what you like at the end of the day, each to their own

14 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

This is only to protect the plastic window on the earlier cars as it gets stiffer when cold so over time and can split if raised and lowered too much when cold.

14 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Drains mainly drain flowing water, not dampness. You can do what you like at the end of the day, each to their own

I'm not trying to be argumentative I would just like to know for sure if this is an urban myth or factual.

19 hours ago, sa utah said:

On a very dirty roof I have used normal car shampoo and a medium stiff brush / sponge to work it in and a jet wash (don’t get too close

repeat the whole process antil no more green or brown stuff comes out.    Then use Milton fluid, leave in for a while and rinse  

Are you saying its ok to jet wash the roof?? our is fairly clean after I used the autoglym stuff but there are still a few 'green' areas, I was thinking a jet wash would sort it but always thought it was a no no on rag tops.

Rog.

I would be very nervous about jet washing my roof although if you do stand further away from the car , as Sa Utah says , it obviously lessons the force of the jet! 

https://protexworld.co.uk/collections/canvas-kit/products/protex-convertible-soft-top-canvas-cleaner-restorer-black-waterproofer-500ml-complete-kit

This looks a decent deal I think ?

22 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Mercedes state this in the SLK handbook, its something to do with colder/thicker hydraulic oil giving the roof pump a hard time.

Archived