Anyone retrofitted PCM unit?

MAC99V

Hi all, 

My car has the basic PCM unit, single cd, telephone, aux, Bose and bluetooth.

Ideally I'd like to stay oem and have found a PCM3 in the states that has Nav etc, Just shy of £1k with added costs for programming etc along with new codes, so all in, around £1200, then postage and fitting costs this end. Say it out loud, sounds stupid I'm even considering it, but to have that in the car instead of phone cables, chargers etc bugs me, so would be cleaner less cluttered with an original unit. Anyone taken on this procedure or is it just a pointless exercise?

It's really the factory look I'm after, If i ended up going aftermarket, some of the black surrounds I've seen are far from factory look and one I found in the states was discontinued some time back, not after anything flashy, just need to retain, Bose, Bluetooth and want Nav use, so again, worst case could use Waze....

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.

If aftermarket go dynavin. Looks like original unit. 

if retro pcm with nav you need gps.  The antenna is on the windscreen. Maybe they all have it just in case or maybe you would need a screen. 

I wanted pcm with nav as an option and it was a big “attract” for this and the previous car but it’s an expensive route to get to an “yeah but actually a phone with <pick your app> is better.”

On the programming side.  All the maps and pcm bits are keyed to vin number.  Who knows what happens on a retro for.  

having had pcm it’s the integration with sports chronos and meneory and the dashboard and the clocks that attracts me more than the nav my gut is

“you will spend a lot of money and time and effort to end up with something that’s just about useable for phone and music and nav”

pays your money and takes your choice mate. But, if it was me I would bank a grand for the next car and spend 400 ish on a decent CarPlay unit.  Put the old stuff back in when you move it on and sell the carplay unit for 2/3 of what you paid.  

that said. If my pcm died I might get it fixed rather than replace it but that depends a lot on the mood I am in that day.  

there are cheaper options for aux/usb/Bluetooth phone and audio ( search for a2dp Porsche on eBay) 

as ever.  Just opinions.  And if you need any coding done (like enabling the cd auto changer for the above unit)  then you know who to call.  

1 minute ago, Paul P said:

If aftermarket go dynavin. Looks like original unit

I've got one and its a bit shonky. The only good thing is the way it fits the rest of the centre console. Maybe the Android-based ones are better, but sadly I've got the Windows CE-based one

Good to know but doesn’t surprise me re windows vs Android 

Personally I would take “good kit” over “looks original”.  In my daily I have a pioneer CarPlay unit.  Great kit.  If I was pulling the PCM I would do that but it get the keep it original looking thing. Would be a hard call.  

There are a load of threads on here around alternatives to the oem unit. I replaced with a Kenwood system. The surround is perfectly matched to the rest of the surround. Given the functionality of the unit, Android Auto, Apple car play, DAB etc I couldn't imagine muddling along with 15 year old tech.

There are pictures in this thread:

Many thanks all, I suppose you've really opened my half closed eyes on what I'd be getting for such an extortionate cost / functionality remaining on the pcm route. Not entirely convinced what route / brand to take, but the dynavin looks pretty good i suppose as an almost oem look, although I'm sure you all woudl suggest otherwise at a lesser cost for what it needs to do...

Decisions.....

Thanks again for all the comments. Cheers, M

9 minutes ago, minimoog said:

All the pictures I can see of the Dynavin online suggests it's not a great fit - it sticks out slightly and overhangs the heating/ventilation panel below. Triggers my OCD. For the neck-end of a grand I'd expect it to be perfectly flush with the panel below.

agreed, I'll delve into this in more detail before i bite the bullet.....

I got a Pioneer Unit which shares all the Android Auto features (and Apple too). With the Double DIN Facia, I think it looks like it's supposed to be there. You can also change the colour of the control buttons etc. to match the Porsche Control Buttons etc.

H0TlKIL.jpg

21 hours ago, Gutley said:

I've got one and its a bit shonky. The only good thing is the way it fits the rest of the centre console. Maybe the Android-based ones are better, but sadly I've got the Windows CE-based one

This is interesting to read as when they first came out, or at least were talked about on here, people seemed to rave about them.

27 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

This is interesting to read as when they first came out, or at least were talked about on here, people seemed to rave about them.

Well, here are the things that annoy me about the one I have, which is the N6 model:

1. The UI is unresponsive and inconsistent

2. It loses all settings whenever the car battery is removed (i.e Radio stations, general preferences etc). This is really dumb as it comes with a small internal hard disk and has an SD card slot so it wouldn't have been hard to save things

3. Every so often it gets confused and thinks the ignition is switched off while I'm driving, and so every 5 minutes it turns itself off. It will keep doing this until I stop the car and turn off the ignition for 5 minutes and then it is fine. But this makes going on a long journey a pain as I have to allow for this when setting off, or just live with it.

4. When the above happens, it takes a minute to boot up again and that minute counts towards the 5 minutes life time.

5. Once in a while it will drop all audio except the subwoofer. Once again switching off for 5 minutes can sort it out.

6. The controls are all push buttons, no dial for volume.

7. There is no way to get it to turn the display off while still being on.

Maybe mine was never installed correctly, but in that case i'd expect it to be consistently bad and not erratic.

Hopefully the N7 models and later are better

The Dynavin is by all accounts a pretty ropey item. The only reason for choosing it is that it looks more original..... I'm not really getting it.

There are a plethora of up to date double din units from the likes of Pioneer and Kenwood that look (to my eye) much better and perform infinitely better.

My audio guy said he stopped installing these cheap Chinese makes, as the head units were pretty flaky with lots of issues. Customers would complain and expect him to sort it out, when it was the head unit they had purchased online that was erratic. 

Now he only installs Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony etc

On 2/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, Paul P said:

if retro pcm with nav you need gps.  The antenna is on the windscreen. Maybe they all have it just in case or maybe you would need a screen. 

With the PCM 3.0 unit fitted in my Gen 2 the GPS antenna is a box that sits in the scuttle in front of the windscreen, not on the windscreen itself. Mine had failed when i bought the car and the dealer replaced under warranty so got to have a look where it was positioned as i didn't know

I bought one of these off eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223506467476

Integrates with the standard PCM2. Native connectivity for the BOSE (fibre), gives you hands free phone as well. Best £100 I’ve spent on the car. Then buy the phone bracket and away you go. Waze or google maps are going to trump and 10 year old sat nav.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:52 AM, Deano37 said:

I went with Pioneer AVHZ5100DAB and its great. Connected to BOSE via adaptor and looks OEM with the correct colour surround and controlled via original multi function wheel.

I think that's the same unit as I have. Had no idea the Multifunction Steering Wheel works with it. Was it a difficult install to get that working?

I may upgrade my non-multifunction wheel if that's the case.....

Interesting....

Best wishes,

Archived