The dream is over

Porsche2063

I think it's funny when people complain that they were "in the right" while the other party denies they were responsible. Then in the next post others are saying "never admit you were in the wrong" I think I can see a conflict here. 

FWIW, if I made a mistake and caused damage I would put my hands up to it despite any 'advise' to the contary from my insurance company. But then perhaps I'm just too honest. 

16 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

If you would like to borrow another 986 until you get sorted, let me know 

Well now thats the best reply I have ever heard 👏  Well done that man!

IMO go back to the scene, take loads of pics when it is quiet, if you have the opportunity to place another car where yours was and it's safe to do so take pics of it - rebuild the scene. If not sketch an overhead plan of it showing road positions etc - all this will show you are serious about it being the other persons fault. Has the other person got a dash cam? Ask your insurance company tp ask theirs if they had declared one to reduce their premium, if so ask for them to review it. I guess you don't have a dash cam?

The insurance company will always try to get you to settle. Your best advice is to start proceedings against them in your local small claims court. It's easy, costs you nothing and as soon as they get the letter from the court they will fold. You'll never get to court.

Unfortunately your insurance co is not on your side in this - those days have gone. They just want to make their own job as easy as possible. To meet you in court costs them money and time. They will pay you first as long as it's not a gigantic amount. Which I'm guessing it isn't. The fundamental basis of this is that when you insure something if it gets lost or damaged or whatever they pay for a replacement. Anything else they might say is eyewash.

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

The insurance company will always try to get you to settle. Your best advice is to start proceedings against them in your local small claims court. It's easy, costs you nothing and as soon as they get the letter from the court they will fold. You'll never get to court.

Unfortunately your insurance co is not on your side in this - those days have gone. They just want to make their own job as easy as possible. To meet you in court costs them money and time. They will pay you first as long as it's not a gigantic amount. Which I'm guessing it isn't. The fundamental basis of this is that when you insure something if it gets lost or damaged or whatever they pay for a replacement. Anything else they might say is eyewash.

^^^^ This 100% ^^^^

Once my insurer understood I was serious about this path it was the thing that brought it all to a head and ended up with the fault being placed squarely (and fairly) with the other driver. 

Topradio - Im with you, If its my fault then I admit it - bugger what the insurance company wants me to say. All they are doing is trying to minimise their losses by screwing the innocent party into a 50 50 claim, Then the utterly dishonest halfwits pass on your claim details to their in house solicitors who chase you to make a claim, and the other driver too, bump up the annual premium for both drivers, and everyone is happy.

As far as im concerned I pay them to represent me - not themselves, If its my fault I admit it and tell the company I admitted it - because it was my fault. Then pay out asap and minimise the inconvenience to the other driver - they have already suffered

What is wrong with the world where telling the truth is frowned on and apparently accepted as reasonable to lie by so many.

Ive had one accident in 46 years of driving - and one speeding offence, The accident it was hands up as soon as I got out the car, it was a stupid mistake and the other driver was a gibbering wreck - mind you his bonnet was at a 45 degree angle and the car probably wrote off - but no one was injured.

I was a prison Governor for 30 years and lead by example, I always instilled telling the truth was the right thing to do, didn't stop them committing crime but I hoped when they went to court they pleaded guilty

26 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Topradio - Im with you, If its my fault then I admit it - bugger what the insurance company wants me to say. All they are doing is trying to minimise their losses by screwing the innocent party into a 50 50 claim, Then the utterly dishonest halfwits pass on your claim details to their in house solicitors who chase you to make a claim, and the other driver too, bump up the annual premium for both drivers, and everyone is happy.

As far as im concerned I pay them to represent me - not themselves, If its my fault I admit it and tell the company I admitted it - because it was my fault. Then pay out asap and minimise the inconvenience to the other driver - they have already suffered

What is wrong with the world where telling the truth is frowned on and apparently accepted as reasonable to lie by so many.

Ive had one accident in 46 years of driving - and one speeding offence, The accident it was hands up as soon as I got out the car, it was a stupid mistake and the other driver was a gibbering wreck - mind you his bonnet was at a 45 degree angle and the car probably wrote off - but no one was injured.

I was a prison Governor for 30 years and lead by example, I always instilled telling the truth was the right thing to do, didn't stop them committing crime but I hoped when they went to court they pleaded guilty

It is simply in place as immediately after an incident people can say or admit something that was possibly not actually accurate that a subsequent investigation might find.  It is also in the terms of the insurance policy so technically they could void the policy, or at least your payout from it, as you have breached the terms if to too freely admit liability.  It is not actually about honesty but due to the behaviour or both the insurers and many people out there it has become so.  There may be something of which you are unaware and you are entitled you keep your own council by saying nothing under the law.  The old adage 'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than open it and remove all doubt'.  In a high adrenaline situation one's judgement is not always perfect.  Alas I have had more incidents than you, including some in motorsport and I know you are pretty shaken up for some time after due to the massive adrenaline dose your body releases in these situations. All of the last 3 on the roads were the other party at fault.  Two I was run into the back of in traffic queues (insurers will automatically blame and accept that the car behind is at fault in these situations unless there is very strong evidence against this), the third I was not so sure until all the events were pieced together.  Had I rushed to say 'I'm sorry' or 'my fault' I'd have rather less than my current 13 years NCD.  By all means, if you are at fault tell your insurer so the quick payout occurs, just don't rush to tell other parties at the scene.

I used to be a track marshal at Silverstone and, whilst this wasn't on the road, an extreme example of this was at a VSCC meeting when a Bugatti Type 35B was lightly tipped into a tank slapper by another car whilst under braking for Beckets and cut across the grass then hit another 35B that was exiting the corner.  The driver of the first Bugatti immediately rushed over to the driver of the second and apologised 'for damaging his beautiful motor car.'  At that time he did not realise he had been tipped into his 'error' and believed it to be his fault. 

On 2/28/2020 at 6:22 PM, TROOPER88 said:

If you would like to borrow another 986 until you get sorted, let me know 

Thank you very much, very kind.

I have use of an everyday car so should be fine.

I have completed a full annotated Google map image representing factors leading up to the incident, I have contacted the insurer and explicitly told them I am fighting the 50/50 claim. I am taking pictures of the signage and road, particularly on his approach which has a warning of “cars in the middle of the road”. I have ensured they have the police incident number as they did not ask for it when initially made the claim. I am awaiting a call back from the liability team to discuss further.

i hold a lot of weight in being honest and have principals. Hence not wanting to accept any percentage of liability when simply an innocent party in this.

Thank you all again.

2 hours ago, Porsche2063 said:

Thank you very much, very kind.

I have use of an everyday car so should be fine.

I have completed a full annotated Google map image representing factors leading up to the incident, I have contacted the insurer and explicitly told them I am fighting the 50/50 claim. I am taking pictures of the signage and road, particularly on his approach which has a warning of “cars in the middle of the road”. I have ensured they have the police incident number as they did not ask for it when initially made the claim. I am awaiting a call back from the liability team to discuss further.

i hold a lot of weight in being honest and have principals. Hence not wanting to accept any percentage of liability when simply an innocent party in this.

Thank you all again.

Good approach to take, being proactive will flag up to you insurers that you are not merely gonna roll over on this one. Make them earn their premium for a change, good luck with your claim, let us know how you get on.

stick to your guns, if it wasnt your fault then 50/50 is unfair

as others have said a dashcam would have resolved this quicker (at least the fault part)

best of luck with it, glad you are ok

Archived