The dream is over

Porsche2063

Bought my first Boxster in September after selling my much loved 924. 

Absolutely love it and have been getting the top down all winter whenever the weather permitted.

Driving home last night whilst going over a narrow bridge a young lad driving far too quickly veered into my lane and smashed into the front offside corner, taking out my offside.

Luckily I walked away and am amazed how well the car did keeping it’s structural integrity and not crumpling onto my legs.

Awaiting to see how much the insurance company will screw me over. No witnesses, no CCTV, his fault but no proof so will be a 50/50 claim.

Obviously happy to still be here but absolutely gutted about the car.

Was a 1999, standard 2.5 986 in guards red!

Too bad. I would push hard for a 100% no fault basis. Maintain that you were on your side of the road and never crossed the white line. 

To iterate the above advice. Do not settle less than 100%. Did you get pictures of the car and accident damage? It should be fairly obvious who hit who from the amount of damage and how the damage has been caused. 

If you know the person - I can send some lads to convince him to be honest if you like 😂💪

Stick to your guns about fault.  Note where you were on the bridge at the point of the collision, i.e. already on it so the collision would have been nearer to his entry on to the bridge, what was the line of sight on his approach, would he have seen a car already on the bridge?  You say it was night, did both vehicles have the correct lights on for the conditions?  Did he stop at the scene? (from the damage you describe he might not have had a choice but to stop...)  Is it a road 'lads' regularly use at high speed?  Did he verbally suggest anything even hinting like admitting fault at the scene, even a 'Sorry mate.' could help you out?  Play hard ball if you can.

As an aside, I was screwed by the local constabulary when I was a 'lad' over an incident that was highly likely to NOT have been my fault even though the other drive was coming round a bend into bright low blinding sun in autumn and the collision was on my side of the centre of the road, so ended up with insurers taking knock for knock at 50/50 as well as whiplash, concussion and a broken arm and an accident before I have had an NCB.  Mentality was young driver, therefore carless and/or dangerous.  Might play to your advantage if you push hard.

And start collecting adverts for replacements with similar mileage, condition, colour, extras to yours, to back up any valuation argument.

Pleased to hear you are OK - and in response to the thread title, several people here have had their cars written off, only to find themselves in a newer better model some months later :)

3 minutes ago, Porsche2063 said:

Thank you all for the advice. 

Will continue the fight but initially not looking too good. Insurance company already telling me it is looking 50/50 despite my protests.

We’ll see.

Any legal cover?

30 minutes ago, Porsche2063 said:

Will continue the fight but initially not looking too good. Insurance company already telling me it is looking 50/50 despite my protests

Had this moons ago - wrong lane nonsense from the other driver. Got the 50/50 rubbish from my insurance too. Didn’t end that way - 100% their fault by the time If was all sorted  

Have you got any photos immediately post incident? Anything that shows debris or other evidence of where the collision actually happened?

I also provided detailed pictures of the road layout, signage and clearly marked the collision point. In my case the weight of evidence and sheer bloody mindedness on my part (driven by the initial arbitrary decision of my insurance and the BS from the responsibility dodger in the other car) meant it went the right way - entirely their fault. 

Massively draining having to fight your corner on this stuff but the ongoing cost to you is significant and serves only to help the insurer’s profit. 

Be your most belligerent reasonable polite self and stick to your guns. 

Good Luck. 

I have nothing to add about the insurance but I feel your pain on the crash. Mine was written off by a German canpervan on the wrong side of the road last august and like you I was amazed how well the car held up. Its such a shame but the fact that you are here telling this sad tale is really what you need to focus on. Good luck and congrats for being alive! 

I was in a similar position a while ago. At the time of the accident the other driver was very apologetic, admitted fault but when the insurance company got involved she was denying any fault entirely 😤

Thankfully (in some respects) the accident was bad enough that the police had attended & spray painted the road with the position of each car. As soon as I heard the stance from the insurance company I was straight down there taking pictures of the police markings/signage! Was still a battle, but got there in the end

Not sure if that helps or not, but either way, good luck getting it settled 👍

36 minutes ago, Porsche2063 said:

Will continue the fight but initially not looking too good. Insurance company already telling me it is looking 50/50 despite my protests.

That is nonsense, the blame is 100% down to the other driver, and you need to be more positive when dealing with your insurance company to reinforce that fact.  From what you have described, I'd guess they will write off your car, but the main thing is that you're OK, it could have been a lot worse.  Don't accept their first offer either, as it will almost certainly be lower than you will need to get back into a similar car.  Be ready with evidence of both your car's condition pre-accident, and also adverts for similar cars if you need to replace it like for like.

Good luck anyway mate.

Thank you again for all the advice and support.

Police were called but no collision investigation so no signs that would assist.

The photos I have are too large to post but definitely a write off. The car was a little gem and was part of the sub £3500 club. Got it from a fella who had looked after it well with full service history etc.

Am prepping already evidence of market value in the event of a ridiculous first offer.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and should have collated more pictures at the time. 

I am naturally a pessimistic/realistic person so just preparing myself for a tough time and the worst, but that will not stop me fighting my side.

Lessons learned - With the next car have a dash cam fitted, far too many people nowadays just wont admit fault when it is theirs, inherently people are dishonest, few are driven with integrity - just a sign of the world we live in.

24 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Lessons learned - With the next car have a dash cam fitted, far too many people nowadays just wont admit fault when it is theirs, inherently people are dishonest, few are driven with integrity - just a sign of the world we live in.

Think most of the time the insurance companies don't want drivers to except liability.

If it will help and the crash site is close to home take some photos of the road, the approach, sight lines etc. 

If you have contact details and you are adept enough get some dialogue going. 

I had a lady bump us whilst I was teaching my Mrs to drive. She admitted fault there and then like many do but I got her to admit fault in writing by email. 

7 minutes ago, Sanky said:

Think most of the time the insurance companies don't want drivers to except liability.

This, never accept liability ever. Just say let the insurance companies settle it.

You will most likely have a clause in your insurance policy that also states this, I've not seen a claim repudiated for this but it makes fighting/defending claims almost impossible.

Glad you are ok, sorry about the car :(

2 hours ago, Glyn said:

Lessons learned - With the next car have a dash cam fitted

This ^ is good advice.  I've had a dash cam fitted in my cars for the past few years, and even though I haven't needed to use the footage for any insurance claims, it still feels "safer" if that makes sense?  In fact, driving without one now feels a bit like driving without a seat belt.  I've got one permanently fitted to the Boxster, and I've got a spare one that can temporarily go into a hire car if needed (unfortunately not when I'm in Austria on my monthly work visits though.  They are illegal out there, with a large fine if you're caught using them, apparently).

In the case of the OP's crash, it would have provided conclusive proof of the circumstances leading up to the impact - Too late now, unfortunately, which is a real shame.

Did you take any photos of the vehicle positions? Might be obvious to an assessor looking at the damage to both cars who was blame.

worth a punt but as others have said stick out for 100% claim, 

sorry to hear of your woes, looks like you were really enjoying the car and didn’t get much chance to try it in the sun.

hopefully you’ll be back into another Boxster soon

Pretty much all policy T&Cs will have a 'do not admit liability to a 3rd party' as it makes the insurers job an awful lot harder to then get a 50/50 or transfer the blame to the other party.  However tricking or putting someone under duress to admit liability is also a no-no, not that I am suggesting you would.  As Churchill said 'never surrender', and also 'If you are going through Hell, keep going.'

As you can tell @Porsche2063 there is usually a lot of support, advice, empathy and sympathy on here if you want/need it.

1 hour ago, Porsche2063 said:

Depending on finances after payout will definitely be looking at another. Loved the car and after going through that with it, it has only strengthened my desire to have another!

Give us a budget and whether you’re interested in a 987 this time; you sort the insurance, this lot will sort the replacement 😉 

oh another tip; easily removable thinks like toolkit and wind deflectors sell well and amortize your loss...

Archived